sage Invoicing

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Tina1, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina1

Tina1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

47 2
    Hello

Could someone shed some light for me please.

I am using sage line 50. If I do batch invoices for purcheses in supplier window as i understand it this does not track anything. So i would have to update my purchases.
    If i raise a PO and follow the process that way my order is tracked
    The same with Sales invoices. If i raise a Sales order i can track and allocate stock etc. If i just use the batch invoice button i cant track despatches and stock. So would that mean i would have to update the stock myself?
    Then when you raise a Sales order and Purchase order invoices are created for you to send out and then you update the ledgers.
    With the Batch Invoicing way i take it this updates the ledgers automatically.
    Sorry if this does not make any sense . Just trying to understand the difference between the batch invoicing route for sales and purchases and sales order, purchase order route which then leads on to the invoicing.

Thank you
    Tina

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 By: Tina1 Member since: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Geoff T

Geoff T UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,599 1,262

tagging this so I can check tomorrow -main client uses Sage (PAH!:() - can I ask some clever folk + come back to you?...

regards

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 By: Geoff T Member since: Apr 30, 2009
  3. weebly_one

weebly_one UKBF Regular Free Member

441 66
    Let me see if I can help!!

The Batch options are there for if you use another system to raise your Sales Invoices or for your purchase orders, or if you are too small or do not want to track stock.

They purely post to the ledgers as you said, so you can make use of debtors reports etc and keep a track of what you owe and are owed. They do not impact stock in anyway and youwould need to do sdjustments out (or in for purchases) to keep accurate stock control using this option.

The Sales Invoice option which opens in a separate screen to customers will allow you to invoice and keep track of stock. You do not have to use Sales Orders and then allocate and despatch, just raising invoices will also track stock. Personally for most of my business I use this option.
    You also have a list of invoices you can keep and re print if required at any time using this option. You have to update invoices once printed to write the data to the ledgers.

The Sales Order/Quotation systems allow you to raise orders if there is a delay between wanting to record the order, ie if you have to wait for stock to come in , then when you allocate and despatch the system creates a Sales Invoice. You can allocate stock to an order too which can help more complex stock control systems. Once the invoices are created you have a list as in the option above and still need to update.

The purchase order system (only in Sage 50 Professional and above) looks similar to the invoice option above, but allows you to print purchase orders and numbers them consecutively for you. Once an order is placed on order then delivered you then can update it - this basically opens a screen which is the same as the batch supplier invoice screen, but with the fields already filled out. I always then edit the date to match the invoice and change the reference to be the suppliers invoice number, and put my invoice number in the extra reference column. Delivering is what updates your stock, and you can see stock on order too. The update option is what writes the data to the purchase ledgers.

Does this make anything any clearer? I am happy to have a chat about it if that is easier, or just ask following questions here and I will try and answer - but I am off for a jolly this weekend so might not answer straight away!!

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: weebly_one Member since: Feb 26, 2009
  4. Tina1

47 2
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. It is very much appreciated.

i just have a couple of questions on what you have told me.
    When you mention the sale invoicing option is this in the customers process window under New invoice? When i enter the sales details and save it this will keep track of stock. (as i thought i could only do this buy raising a sales order). Because in batch invoicing in customer window i do not have the option to enter any description details.

When you mention the sales order/quotation window i take it that i ould have a sales order but not enter it onto the system until i have enough stock to complete the order? Then i could enter the SO which would raise a SI anddespatch goods and update ledgers?

Just to also clarify if i use the customer and supplier batch invoice window i would have to update the product records myself. If i use the cust/supp process window - new invoice it would update stock for me once i print invoice and update ledgers

Also for PI i receive from supplier i can jus enter these into the batch invoice window?

I hope i have made sense. Thank you again

Tina

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: Tina1 Member since: Jun 16, 2008
  5. weebly_one

441 66
    You access the Invoicing from Customers/New Invoice or from the Invoice List page where you use the New/Edit button at the top. Yes this will keep track of stock when you update.

You enter the Sales Order as soon as get it, don't wait to have the stock. There are reports which show you the shortfall on stock invoices which might help you with your ordering requirements. You find out if you have enough stock by using the allocate button and Sage will only allocate the stock available and inform you if you have a shortfall. When you despatch this raises the SI and adjusts stock. It does not update ledgers at all. You need to then go to the invoice list window and print or send the invoice and update, this is when the ledgers are updated.

Correct

Correct - this is what most of my clients do as you have to have Sage 50 Professional to have access to the Purchase Order functionality.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: weebly_one Member since: Feb 26, 2009
  6. Tina1

47 2
    Thank you so much you have really helped clear up these issues for me.

Tina :)

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: Tina1 Member since: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Lindac123

Lindac123 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi I am using Sage Line 50 Professional and wonder if you could answer a question for me. I have two warehouses and want to allocate stock between the two of them and keep track of what is going out of each as I cannot always be there. How do I allocate between the two areas. Also I invoice from the one system how do I differentiate between the two so that the correct stock is coming out of the correct place. Is it possible.

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 By: Lindac123 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  8. weebly_one

441 66
    There is a location field on the product record - but you can only have one location per stock code - it's a kind of label just to help warehouse control.

The only way to have stock in two locations and keep track of each in Sage 50 professional is to have 2 different stock codes, one for each location. You would then have to choose the correct stock code for each location when you invoice.

I don't think there is another way of doing this in the standard product.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    Posted: Sep 22, 2010 By: weebly_one Member since: Feb 26, 2009
  9. johndon68

johndon68 UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,402 624
    As weebly_one says, there is no other way to do it, to get multiple locations, you need to move up to Sage 200 (at MUCH greater cost).

John

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Posted: Sep 23, 2010 By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  10. GaynorM

GaynorM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    This is much appreciated. I found this site asking google whats the difference between batch invoices and invoices on sage. Really helped a lot. thanks again

Posted: May 7, 2012 By: GaynorM Member since: May 7, 2012
  11. weebly_one

441 66
    You are welcome - I also do a blog to offer advice which I hope helps people too.

Posted: May 7, 2012 By: weebly_one Member since: Feb 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.