Running your business from overseas.

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Parrot Hosting, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    I have been running my business from the Greek Islands for the last 9 months and am very interested in hearing from other people who have managed this successfully.

If you are currently running your UK business from an overseas location either full or part-time and are willing to correspond with me about your experience I would love for you to get in touch.

Please PM me :)

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Jet Virtual

Jet Virtual UKBF Legend

873 249
    HI Les the weather must be nice (can't say much for here) :)

My company allows me to work wherever i go in the world.

I am actually thinking of writing an e-book called 'The Virtual Entrepreneur'

PM me if you have any thoughts

Best of luck

Daniel

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 By: Jet Virtual Member since: Mar 21, 2011
  3. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    Hi Daniel

Currently I'm in the UK stuck with a broken arm and raring to get back to the warm (HOT!) weather that I'm used to - luckily that should be October time so still plenty of sun to be had.

You say your 'company' is this 'your' company or people you work for. I'm keen to hear from people who have a UK-based business, but prefer to run it from an overseas location as I am already writing a book on mine and others experiences in living abroad with feet firmly planted in both worlds.

So, if anyone out there wants a chance to be 'in the book' let me know. I am hoping to have it finished by the end of the year and that includes visiting a few locations for interviewing for contributions to the 'case histories'

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  4. Matt G

Matt G UKBF Newcomer

74 8
    I think some type of business gives you the option to work from any place of the world, and its really fantastic ( I am doing it myself ).

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: Matt G Member since: Jun 6, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. swisslogistics

swisslogistics UKBF Contributor

497 25
    I run my operation pretty much completely out of Hong Kong and China, I do travel back to the UK on a regular basis but all the strings are pulled from abroad, all my transactions and accounts, payments are made out there as is the flow of goods.

It took me a while to set it up properly but with the technology available today and a few really good and trust worthy people on both sides it is possible to run from anywhere in the world provided you have excellent communications and banking infrastructure...fast internet, phones, bank accounts.

I have software that enables me to remotely control computers I have setup in my office in the UK from china and vice versa this enables me to have 'work' waiting for my UK staff before they get into the office each day all the printers, and machines we use are hooked up so as long as there is someone to put new toner and labels etc and maintain everything there is very little that cant be controlled from aboard.

I am now trying to go from a laptop to a ipad for most of the day, it allows me to do most things but is still a little restrictive, I may even have a Chinese tablet modified to run proper windows and then there will be very little I wont be able to do...that will be fun!

It is very possible you just need to have all the critical systems in place and have good people to monitor them, once that's done you can run from anywhere within reason.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: swisslogistics Member since: Dec 4, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Idontbuy

Idontbuy UKBF Contributor

255 18
    We run a business in the UK and in the USA , we have a american phone number that redirects to us here in the UK and a Fulfilment centre in the USA , works like a dream :)

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 By: Idontbuy Member since: Oct 28, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.