General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Running A sandwich bar and coffee shop alongside existing antiques shop advice please

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Sarah Cole, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:09 PM.

1. Sarah Cole

Sarah Cole UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hey everyone, I often scower these forums and your all so helpful and I could really do with some advice , I’m dyslexic and can at times find reading information or overloads of it very overwhelming and really need things broken down simply for me so if any one can help it would be greatly received,

I have an antiques shop already but inside I already have a hatch with kitchen abelling me to Serve hot drinks from a small kitchen and hoped to make use of the space , I will be serving I imaging under 20 a day and will use a basic coffee machine that makes the drinks and I’d hope to also have ready made sandwiches that I’ll have mAde up to take away as they will be packaged but also we will have two small tables incase anyone wants to sit in.

I wondered what I’d need to do if I needed anything ,
    I read online as long as it supplement less then 25% of my sales I would not need environmental health’s say so is this correct?

otherwise I wondered if there was anything else I’d need to do other than notify them , get the kitchen looked at and the council to give it the green light then make sure we have the food hygiene Certs displayed etc ?

it’s just a way of thinking forwards to utilise our space in today’s market and an extra opportunity to get people through the door , any advice is welcomed with open arms thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 6:09 PM By: Sarah Cole Member since: Jul 30, 2020
  2. LanceUk

LanceUk UKBF Contributor Free Member

79 27
    Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forums...

Unf, I am not experienced as either a prepared food retailer nor an antiques shope/dealer.. so I can't answer the technical side of you question... In fact, I am not even a fan (nor really like) most of the stuff antique shops have to pedal.

However, as a consumer, I would suggest that if you main business is antques and you have a side business in the store selling coffee alone, I would not care too much to see hygiene certificates. But I may have more confidence in you as a preapred food seller...

Having said that, and not knowing the size of your store or the marginal sales per square foot/metre, onve COVID settles down, would it not make sense to look at your floorspace dedicated to antiques versus tables to see if you could adjust the mix and get better revenue.. In other words, can you ditch low turnover trinkets and keep higher turnover trinkets in less floorspace and offer a decent sit down coffee/food offering that will drive more £ than the low turnover trinkets (OK, this word is someting antique people like yourself may find offensive.. but you get the idea).

If you have a store big enough, a decent set of beverages and decent snack/lunch food, along with the enjoyment of rambling through antiques may be the ticket. It worked in a small country town in Australia called Tocumwal... a 2-bob nothing town where yoghurt had more culture... Mind you, from memory, I estimate they had floor space of at least 1500 sq ft for the shop.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 9:22 PM By: LanceUk Member since: Jan 8, 2018
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,486 2,835
    I have been in a few bookshops that have managed to run both business types, books and coffee. Not come across antique shops like that but not a suitable antique shop customer.

Perhaps start small with takeaway service - so needing minimal floorspace - then see how it develops before looking to add more space to the project.
    A few hot drinks, some cold drinks in fridge and some prepared, wrapped and labelled sandwiches or rolls.
    Minimal time spent preparing while customer waiting.

Would need some prep time and cleaning time before and after hours.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

799 263
    Hi Sarah,

Here’s pretty much what you need to do:

1. get yourself your Level 2 in Food Hygiene. I’d recommend the NCASS online qualification, it’s thorough and : https://www.ncass.org.uk/training/food-hygiene/level-2/
    2. Complete the ‘Food Business Registration’ with the Environmental Health Department of your local council. This will be the same council who take care of your business rates. Environmental Health are a friendly bunch and are there to help you - give them a call if you are unsure. (Dismiss what you have read about not needing to notify the EHO if food and drink accounts for 25% or less of your sales, it’s incorrect). Important: you must register 28 days prior to selling food or drink.
    3. Get your paperwork in order. It’s much easier than people imagine to get your paperwork up together. Get a folder and download the ‘Safer Food, Better Business’ food management plan - print it out and complete it using the knowledge you gained from your Level 2. Much of it won’t be relevant to you, but keep it to hand just in case it ever is. It covers things such as daily checksheets and record keeping, how you prevent cross contamination, how you store food and ensure it’s at correct temperatures, defrosting, hot holding, waste management, pest control etc. It’s industry standard and it’s a great document - complete it, use it and follow it and you’ll score a ‘5’ on your EHO visit.

That’s pretty much all there is. Feel free to give me a shout if you need any more information - I’ve done half a dozen of these in my stint in catering and am about to do the 7th as we complete the setup on our small bakery.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  5. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,276 1,589
    There was an antiques shop in Kingston that does this, they have sub let it to a Polish cafe and it did well. Not sure how well it is still running under Covid. If you are selling coffee get the best machine you can (plenty second hand)l. Get a local supplier to provide cake and sandwiches. Have a sign outside the shop to let people know your cafe is open and people can I just come in and eat/drink. Promote via your social media.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...gston_upon_Thames_Greater_London_England.html

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 1:32 PM By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  6. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Regular Free Member

244 95
    I would politely disagree with Mr. D regarding takeaway only, and back the advice from Lance. This sounds like the kind of place you would attract particularly an elderly clientele who would quite happily go and sit in lovely surroundings enjoying coffee and cake. An afternoon tea might be something that would go well with the "olde worlde" surroundings.

Not sure why somebody would pop into an antiques shop just to grab a takeaway coffee, and I assume you don't have huge footfall that might just pick one up whilst they're there.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:04 PM By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  7. Alyson Dyer

Alyson Dyer UKBF Regular Free Member

190 72
    I agree, just the place to take gran and grandad who can have a little walk around the antiques telling everyone how they used this or that in their childhood and then having a nice cup of tea and a toasted tea cake or similar. Depending upon location it could also become a place where workers in local businesses call in for a sandwich, bowl of soup or a toastie at lunchtime, (this could be where the takeaway service comes in..

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:17 PM By: Alyson Dyer Member since: Oct 27, 2011
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,486 2,835
    By all means disagree.

Eating in adds to the possibilities but also adds to the complications.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. LanceUk

LanceUk UKBF Contributor Free Member

79 27
    Would agree with Mr D on that complications.

This is a FB page for the Antique shop I was referring to.. It also has a Tea Rooms... https://www.facebook.com/Tocumwal-Antiques-Tea-Room-145013175595186/

I am in no way affiliated with it... It appears the business is still going -I saw the shop for sale (I am looking for a property to retire there... 360 sunny days a year and a huge gliding establishment.. That will do me). The bit of the building that is perpendicular to the street front is the residence.

It was there when I first went gliding at Tocumwal - around 1989. The town probably has 3,000 people now - maybe a bit more.. It relied solely on tourist trade..

[edit] Apart from gliding and waterskiing, there is not much to do there and it doesn't really attract the normal tourists...

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:03 PM By: LanceUk Member since: Jan 8, 2018
  10. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,069 1,711
    I have a customer that does this albeit on a large rural site with a lot of car par parking but it works well and I think it is a good idea .

One tip !
    Keep the stuff flamingos away from the food serving areas because if they were not taxidermized correctly the maggots may appear :):)

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:07 AM By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  11. Sarah Cole

Sarah Cole UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks all for your very helpful advice there is lots there to get me started thank you kindly x

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:29 AM By: Sarah Cole Member since: Jul 30, 2020