Rules of Origin Goods made in China, imported to UK, exported to ASEAN Country

Discussion in 'International Business' started by ukhobbit, Feb 18, 2021.

1. ukhobbit

ukhobbit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Trying to get my head around rules of origin and wonder if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I want to export some goods from the UK to an ASEAN country. I understand the items are made in China, imported to UK, where some minor changes will have been made.

Will I be able to treat these items as Chinese in origin on import to the ASEAN country or will they be treated as UK origin either by virtue of them being shipped from the UK or the adaptations made in the UK.

Obviously in the future, I will aim to get the products direct from China, but that is not currently possible.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: ukhobbit Member since: Feb 18, 2021
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,749 716
    It might depend on the specific Asean country - the UK has trade deals with some of them (e.g. Vietnam).

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. ukhobbit

3 0
    Thailand - no trade deal I believe.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: ukhobbit Member since: Feb 18, 2021
  4. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,749 716
    Hmm, wish I could help you, especially since I'm from Thailand, but I don't know how Thailand applies rules of origin.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,231 3,345
    Depends on the changes.
    Take a chocolate item. Bag it up it's still the chocolate item. Stick it on top of a cupcake as decoration and it's not a chocolate it's a decoration.
    Small change, big change, for the same item.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. ukhobbit

3 0
    in my case it would still be chocolate. Does it being shipped from the UK alter its origin?

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: ukhobbit Member since: Feb 18, 2021
  7. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 30
    Hi, if the goods aren't altered in any fashion, then they would still be considered as of the origin of where they were manufactured, eg China in this case. You would need to ask your customer in Thailand, or their clearance agent, to check if there are any trade deals for cargo from China, or otherwise what the duty rate would be.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,231 3,345
    No.
    We ship a lot from the UK that is still Chinese. Does not make a lot of difference so long as not UK.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017