General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Rude Receptionists- Telemarketing

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by georgina.suntel, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

unfortunatly none of the supporters have been able of willing to show any kind of numbers - thats the problem.

WHAT WOULD BE MY EXPECTED RETURN FOR A TELESALES CAMPAIGN?

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    You shouting at me big boy?

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  3. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

wouldnt dare - was for emphasis only

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  4. Drpepper

Drpepper Banned

1,295 430
    The ones I just love are when you are in a good mood and politely say something like "very sorry, but......" and at that point THEY put the phone down on you without so much as thank you or goodbye.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Drpepper Member since: Oct 4, 2010
  5. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    There are so many of these lately!!!

Also, we are getting a few who say "can I speak to x please, this is definately not a sales call"

Its no good telling lies on the phone!

We did get a Yellow Pages rep who got rather annoyed when a female member of staff stated we don't advertise in YP.
    He then launched into "who are you to tell me you don't need to advertise with YP, I need to speak to your marketing manager who can make his own decison!"
    he hung up when it was explained to him this lasd was the business owner.

G

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  6. Drpepper

Drpepper Banned

1,295 430
    Along similar lines I had a supplier phone up when I was on holiday (I had one, once!), my member of staff had a budget to spend with this supplier and total discretion on what she thought was needed, but they were so rude to her because she couldn't put them through to me they lost a sale, and worse my account.

So telemarketing guys, don't always presume you NEED to speak to the owner for that sale, be polite to whoever answers the phone - you never know.

As a by-the-way I phoned the company on my return and told them to expect a phone call from that staff member and they were to act on her word. I told her to close the account, which she thoroughly enjoyed!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Drpepper Member since: Oct 4, 2010
  7. JamesHall174

JamesHall174 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

314 61
    Return on investment could be anything from nothing if the telesales campaign goes really badly to any multiple if it successful. Typically, an anticipated 4:1 would justify the risk but I have been involved in successful campaigns where the ROI has been as high as 16:1, it really depends on the type of product (some things are more suited to telesales) and the margin the product.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 By: JamesHall174 Member since: Jan 5, 2011
  8. Barking Mad

Barking Mad UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 0

I take the self same view about not giving companies my business where I've had cause to call them during the day and they have been unnecessarily rude to me. Quite simple, really.

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: Barking Mad Member since: Dec 13, 2007
  9. stevecoley

stevecoley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I have been reading with interest some of the comments.
    Recently a member of my staff complained to me that she had received calls from a number of companies that purported to know me well and that if she would just put the call through I would take it. She for the company name, their name, position and telephone number. The only detail they would reveal is the company name and their name. My secretary responded with unless you can give me the rest of the detail I cannot put you through. This triggered a tirade of abuse from the caller which I heard. I have since contacted our telecomms supplier and asked if there was a way to block the offending numbers. They told me that this cannot be done if the number is witheld. Where a number is witheld it is likely to be a cold call and a possible solution to this is: sent up an extenion to a dummy line that has a answer phone message asking for the specific detail. If the call is genuine then at least you have the detail to contact the company if you wish to use the services they offer and without the abuse. I am in the middle of setting this up so I will let you know how it performs. I recon to save approximately 20 man hours a week using this.
    Steve

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: stevecoley Member since: Feb 28, 2011
  10. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    We had a massive problem last week as the number of calls that came in exploded. We appear to have ended up on a register or list & getting lots of nuggets trying to sell us all sorts of crap which has cost us alot of time.

The amount of spam emails has also exploded & these firms don't seem to even look at what you do before they call you up.

G

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  11. Stuart @DeckVoid

Stuart @DeckVoid UKBF Newcomer Free Member

49 3
    I don't mind cold callers and sometimes it can be worthwhile but it works both ways, cold callers can be very rude, very annoying and persistent.

If I get annoying ones, I now use my Iphone fonejacker app, its great fun.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: Stuart @DeckVoid Member since: Feb 21, 2011
  12. UCaN

UCaN UKBF Newcomer Free Member

61 11
    I don't have a problem with most cold callers, so long as they are polite. We have just recently gained an account with a new supplier through their cold call and so far this is working out nicely.

However, I am fed up with the rudeness from Yell.com when they cold call and having already told them three times I have no faith in their service and no interest in paying for it, I must admit I am starting to get a bit ratty with them in return.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: UCaN Member since: Jan 16, 2011
  13. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,803 572
    I had a cold call yesterday from a woman asking to speak to 'whoever deals with staff training'. I told her we don't have any staff, so she thanked me and hung up. Fair enough, she was polite and all, but I have two niggles here: first, most data lists will say how many employees there are, so she should've known that there were no employees, and second, I joined the CTPS a few months ago so if the caller's list was up to date, she should've known not to call me.

Debs :)

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  14. Philip Hoyle

Philip Hoyle UKBF Ace Free Member

2,232 1,083
    Yep, I have caller display and I simply don't answer calls that are withheld, "out of area", international, or 0800/0845 numbers - the answerphone picks up after several rings - you can tell the cold callers because they hardly ever leave a message. In the very rare case where it really is a proper client or supplier, then they leave a message and I phone straight back. Simples.

In the few instances where it's a proper mobile or geo number and I pick up to a cold caller, they get treated in exactly the same way they treat me. If they are honest and friendly then I respond the same way - although almost certainly I won't give them any custom, at least I'll be polite.

BUT if they try it on, i.e. asking to speak to "the owner" or asking to speak to me by name but refusing to give me their details or saying they're returning my call or I'm expecting their call, or whatever, then they get a very quick response and the phone put down on them. It's amazing how many don't think that the owner may be the one who answers the phone and talk down to you or try to fool you into putting their call through. The sound of silence when they're rumbled and realise they are talking to the owner is priceless!

The very few cold callers I've actually given any custom to are those who have given some proper thought and consideration, i.e. found my name, properly researched what I do and how big my organisation is, and are calling about a relevant product/service that I really may be interested in. Shame it doesn't happen very often!

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: Philip Hoyle Member since: Apr 3, 2007
  15. Stuart @DeckVoid

Stuart @DeckVoid UKBF Newcomer Free Member

49 3
    It's amazing how many don't think that the owner may be the one who answers the phone and talk down to you or try to fool you into putting their call through. The sound of silence when they're rumbled and realise they are talking to the owner is priceless!

LOL, yeah agreed

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: Stuart @DeckVoid Member since: Feb 21, 2011
  16. Senington

Senington UKBF Newcomer Free Member

45 5
    You shouldn't take it personally.
    I expect the receptionists have been told to ignore all cold callers and they probably receive the calls all the time during the day.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 By: Senington Member since: Feb 26, 2011
  17. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    Thing here is that most of the cheap-mid range databases don't have number of employees as less than 10% of companies choose to disclose this information voluntarily, and same for turnover, so unless people are willing to pay for data which may be out of date anyway, they will just take the numbers game approach of ringing around with lots of very short calls :) (boring!)

Did you tell you were CTPS? :)

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  18. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    I had a brilliant cold call today. Just thought I would share that with you. The person said they had looked me up on Linkedin, made references to a few things, talked about the company and pitched their product brilliantly.

I haven't purchased as yet but agreed to receive info by email and arrange a proper time for a call back when I have done but the way they researched and carried out their call was brill :)

Linkedin as an opener eh? :)

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  19. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    I don't get any cold calls anymore. I added my number to that...no cold calls..thingy, it seems to be working!

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  20. David A

David A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

577 134
    The most common sort of phone call we seem to get that is no a "sales call" is where the caller asks whoever has answered to look at one of the electric plug sockets.

We always say that we do not intend to crawl under the desk on our hands and knees to do this, especially as the phone cord is not long enough.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 By: David A Member since: Mar 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.