General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Rude Receptionists- Telemarketing

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by georgina.suntel, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  2. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Man this thread is better than Eastenders..

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  3. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Ace Free Member

1,627 385
    A balanced well thought out post

Basically, most cold calls lack investment. They dont know who you are, what you do, why you do it. The person calling you is generally a salesman, and doesn't really connect at the right level to the person they are getting on the end of the phone, and certainly not to the person they want to get once they defeat the receptionist

The other thing is that the relationship is one way. You cant call a cold caller back, and often the organisation they represent is impregnable

The issue gets worse when the call centre is split into teams, each having a manager, who has a manager. The poor sod on the phone doing the calling is so detached from the product/company and so focused on "selling" that the message gets lost in the delivery

I recon there are a lot of sole traders / small business owners on here, who field ALL the calls for their company, which is why we are all saying how many calls we are getting. My wife's phone has has 2 cold calls this morning. We kind of feel like a target. We have a phone line for our customers and potential customers to call us on, this is important... but we feel that people who call it to sell us stuff we dont want essentially are just preventing us from doing our day to day business

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: KING Professional Photography Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  4. JamesHall174

JamesHall174 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

314 61
    Thanks Place of Design.:D

This is good feedback, I agree that I used to speak to more people as a sole trader in financial services and it can be time consuming. You are absolutely right the sole traders will always appear an easier target for the low end of telesales because they can actually speak to the decision maker rather than having to battle passed the receptionist, which actually links things neatly back to the very first post, which was very well done by us!!

I would like to think that the firm I work with now are much more professional in terms of the way we approach telesales, but I totally accept that other firms may not work this way. Just to check my understanding of your main issues,

- you are not always targetted for appropriate products? We try to reduce this by proper sector and data analysis before making the calls.

- its time consuming and the telesales person is not easily put off? I advocate that our agents start the call with 'this is xxx from xxx, calling today about xxxxx. Is now a convenient time to talk.... if no when would be a convenient time to call back' if the person says dont call back we dont

- lack of inbound option. This is tricky in consumer campaigns and is best avoided but for business to business there is no excuse. We would also offer to send out details by email and actively encourage people to phone us back

Is this a fair summary? If all the calls were handled in the way I have described would it help? Do you have any other suggestions. The issue of getting too many is a trickier one to address, perhaps there is a dragons den idea for a phone system that allows you to set a maximum number of cold calls per day (assuming all cold callers were forced to phone from a particular number type, for example 0111).

I genuinely think that some cold calls are worth taking, but only at a time convenient to the person receiving the call. Despite some of the other posts we often market products that are really useful to people.

thanks for your input

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: JamesHall174 Member since: Jan 5, 2011
  5. mike.davis

mike.davis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

749 156
    Well thats a very petty comment, I'm talking about the telephone industry, companies who phone people up to sell them things on behalf of another company. But yes I am also talking about In-house cold callers, both are equally as worthless. And both as a marketting technique are a joke.

You've answered the same post twice with different replies, I can assure you SEO has a better ROI than Cold calling.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: mike.davis Member since: Jul 28, 2010
  6. JamesHall174

314 61
    'You've answered the same post twice with different replies, I can assure you SEO has a better ROI than Cold calling.'

'Well I can assure you the cold calling has a better ROI than SEO!'

Here we ago again, more playground 'mine is bigger than yours'. Both work actually............

7. mike.davis

mike.davis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

749 156
    I can't think of an industry that you could build up a succesfull business by using cold-calling as your main or only marketting strategy.

SEO can be applied to the majority of industrys and can work as your only marketting strategy to build a succesfull business.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: mike.davis Member since: Jul 28, 2010
  8. JamesHall174

314 61
    I am getting bored now....

Of course you build a business off the back of telesales, just like you could build a business off of purely SEO.

My point is, most really big multinational, FTSE100 companies do a combination of everything.

Think Vodafone, Think BSkyB, Think Barclays, Think BT, Think Diageo, Think Tesco. All of these companies use SEO, advertising, retail, and TELESALES.

I do not think I know everything, what I do know is that these companies are doing something right and, I suspect, are far more successful than any business owned by anyone on this forum.

Does that not tell you something Mike?

9. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Yep, Mike is talking like it's a zero sum game. Most large company's use both. I go to 2 trade shows per week, most successful businesses that I speak to use a combination of marketing,

Often a mix of Telesales, Tradeshows, SEO, PPC, word of mouth... the list goes on. SEO uses the power of the internet, but Telemarketing is cheap and quick if done properly.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  10. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Ace Free Member

1,627 385
    While you can control what happens in your company, that is of little help to the recipients, who are called by multiple companies.

We all know the "hello I am jim form google call" - and that type of call typifies the issue.

My point about telesales callers not taking inbound calls is a sarcastic one. It underlines a logic...

"We can disturb you from your work, but my manager has decided it isnt in our business interest for you to be able to disturb us from ours"

For the next part insert "company the agent is calling on behald of" for the word "your"

I think this is the premis of my argument - essentially I dont give a monkies armpit about how sucsessful your business is, I only care about my own. However for your company to be sucsessful, your company finds it perfectly acceptable to waste my companies time and effect my bottom line. Time bluntly is a resource, and telesales eats into it. What is worse, ironically, your company sees the value in time (as a resource), so elects to withold the outgoing number and prohibit its agents from recieving inbound calls, as it takes them away from thier primary roll

Ultimatally, looking at the big business picture from top to bottom, it is bad business maners to work like this, as essentially your business is built of the back of wasting the resources of another

Imagine an artist painting pictures of customers on the bridge in Paris, If you walked over to him and tried to sell him a phone, you would be disturbing him, and his customer. If somone else did the same thing, he would get annoyed, if there wasa constant stream of people doing it, his business would be seriously affected. Individually all of those salesmen will feel they are doing a job, and "I only went once" collectivly they are a pain in the armpit

This scenario describes the attitude of most telesales people - they are only calling you once, they are not disturbing your day. Collectivley, the lot of you are a pain

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: KING Professional Photography Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  11. Rainbow Chasers'

Rainbow Chasers' UKBF Newcomer Free Member

443 90
    I think telemarketers make themselves targets. As has already been said, you get so many calls a day at this time of year, when work is thin on the ground for papers, and some really do get pushy.

So no-wonder they are given curt replies. If you take yesterday, I spent 3 hours trying desperately to get away from my desk to visit a customer. Every time I put the phone down, another sales call. Some took 'No' for what it meant, others understood it as a cue to enter their rant without listening to you.

Can you blame a business if they just say 'Sorry, no' and put the phone down? They have to make money too.

If you look at a recent post of mine - I told one such telesales rep that i WAS NOT interested in advertising with them again, after the previous years poor response. I apologised, and reiterated that I would not be partaking it ANY advertising this year whatsoever.

I had a 'Paid' invoice arrive this morning - used my old details, put an ad in anyway and billed me £200.

And you want to know why businesses are rude to cold call telesales?? They have no respect for the owner - so why should they be pleasant? I am pleasent with them if they listen.

Telesales is a hard job, maybe look at doing something else a little less stressful. Door to door canvassers have doors slammed in their faces every few minutes - they brush it off. Telesales is the same - you either have a thick skin or not.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Rainbow Chasers' Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  12. JamesHall174

314 61
    Very fair points and all noted.

At least we are having a sensible discussion about it, which is a refreshing change for this thread. I can totally understand your point of view and unfortunately it does lead to a poor view of the whole industry. A bit like the banking industry where not everyone is fat cat banker, in fact the majority are normal people, earning a normal wage but that industry is hated now.

To be honest, I think the telesales world need to be regulated properly. This would help you and would actually benefit me as well because the firms using inappropriate tactics would, over time be forced out.

In the meantime, I guess, it will not stop because because for every 10 people that don't buy, the next person just might. Not ideal but that is the reality.

13. JamesHall174

314 61
    That is disgusting Rainbow Chaser and I hope you are going to take that matter further.

The other points are interesting too, I don't think there is ever a problem with somebody saying no thanks and putting the phone down and equally the telesales agent should accept a polite no and move on.

Wow, this seems to have turned back in to a business forum.

14. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    Yeah but it's the amount of times you have to say no.

I don't mind a sales call a day, but i end up getting 5/6 sales calls, non of which are of any interest to me at all.

One person selling exhibition space....if i wanted to do an exhibition, i'd go and look for exhibitions and not expect a random call from some place i've never heard of saying they can sell me this and that for £600 just send the credit card details..err..no thanks buy now.

I try to be polite where possible but i have had to just put the phone down without speaking a few times, purely because i'm busy or i'm off to pick something up, no time for idle chit chat i'm afraid, time is money.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  15. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,887 2,628
    The best form of regulation would be opt in, ie you can only call those that have chosen to receive such calls.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  16. JamesHall174

314 61
    Again Esk247, take your point on board and its totally valid and understandable. I would do the same at times.

And yes, KM-tiger, that could be a sensible way to regulate the industry and it may come to that. I speak to plenty of businesses each day that are actually happy to have had the call.

This is all very pleasant, I am almost missing the previous animosity!!

17. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    The sharks will be back. We are taking a nap...

There is nothing wrong with putting the phone down on cold callers and you will feel better if you slam it down on rude, aggresive people...it's what you should do.

To those who cant think of any businesses that benefit from making sales calls I would say you need to think a little harder. There are any number of business categories and any number of businesses within those categories that would soon hit the buffers if they didnt call potential clients.

I am not talking about the one man band sitting behind a screen all day entrepreneur frankly. Think a little bigger ...think a lot bigger.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  18. JamesHall174

314 61
    Spot on Captain Closer.

19. alexlowe

alexlowe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

168 8
    wow, so many pages...

I cant be bothered to read it all,

All I'm going to say is when making my own calls i've noticed that the more confident and polished I get the better response I get. This is actually unfair because when someone is unconfident or 'unproffessional' as some people seem to be calling it, its probably because they are new and nervous which really means (i think anyway) that you should be a bit more charitable...

Its not a nice job when you start and it I doubt you people who are rude realise how bad that makes people feel... and even where I work, I hear people being rude to cold callers when they themselves would not have the confidence to do the job.

I am always very clear about my motives and intentions from receptionist through to manager/target and I try and get my offer across as quickly as possible so as not to waste anyones time and if they decline at any point I dont argue I just give them the option to change their mind in the future. I think anyone who doesnt approach calling this way is a pain.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: alexlowe Member since: Jul 19, 2005
  20. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    That sums it up. Sales is a numbers game and pyjama entrepreneurs don't or can't do the numbers, and probably couldn't cope if they did run a successful campaign.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.