General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Rude Receptionists- Telemarketing

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by georgina.suntel, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgina.suntel

georgina.suntel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 7
    :rolleyes:....Hi there I know this is a quite a strange post but i was wondering if theres anyone out there that can advise me on how i can go about making a website/one page site for me to express my views and possibly list all companies that I speak to with very rude receptionists!!!! I do a lot of telemarketing and basically I am very polite and friendly to receptionists even if they are rude to me but when they think that they own the company and have the right to make decisions on behalf of other employees in the company!
    Obviously if they have a no names policy or simply don't take cold calls fair enough but there is no need for them to speak to me/other telemarketers the way they do, thinking that they can answer on behalf of others without even consulting the person im calling to speak to and the tone of voice they speak to me in. maybe if i was pushy and rude back then i expect to be spoken to like that but I am fed up with these snotty receptionists thinking they can get away with it- surely the directors of these companies would'nt be happy if they knew how they spoke to people on the phone- i could be a client for all they know!
    I am unsure if this would be illegal for me to do, on an actual published website i mean, obviously if i just keep a record for myself I should imagine its ok but i really want to make a wesite and express my views and also so that other telemarketers can add details to aswel, if they like!!!
    Anyway sorry to go on....I hope you don't think im crazy because im not, just after 7 years its really starting to annoy me that people can get away with speaking to other human beingsthe way they do, there really is no need!!!
    :D:D:D

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: georgina.suntel Member since: Jun 30, 2008
  2. spigwell

spigwell UKBF Newcomer Full Member

654 180
    Do you think that you are the only cold caller they have had that day? if I were to listen to every cold caller that phoned me i would waste at least half my day every single day. Now if you are prepared to waste my time like that then you must also be prepared for me to be rude to you should you start mumbling, lieing, misquoting, misleading me or just simply come across as so many cold callers do with a cocky arrogant manner.

I hate with a passion unprofessional cold callers and will be rude to them whenever I can, I will use every tactic at my disposal to discourage them from ever contacting me again, send me cash for my time then you can pitch me whatever product you want and I shall remain curtious throughout. I have done business with cold callers in the past, the cold callers I do business with tend to be extremely professional and this comes across within the first few seconds, come across unprofessional and pay the price for that become professional and I will gladly listen to you.

regards
    Gary

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: spigwell Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  3. Green Fox's Bags & Boxes

Green Fox's Bags & Boxes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Hi,

I don't know about the legal side of things, but I really wouldn't bother creating such a website. Unfortunatley some people are rude but they are just doing their jobs and I wouldn't take it to heart. At the end of the day, you will probably never meet these people, they are just on the end of a phone so I would not let their lack of manners get to you. I'm sure your time would be better spent either looking for different approaches to get through or targeting other customers.

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: Green Fox's Bags & Boxes Member since: Jul 21, 2008
  4. georgina.suntel

84 7
    Of course, i understand what you mean about the fact they may get several calls a day but still there is no need to be rude with it, they're job is to be polite and represent the company. I am always very polite and professional on the telephone and do, most of the time get passed through to the correct person but it is just those that think they can speak to you rudely when there is no reason, thats what annoys me. I do understand what you mean also with arrogant cold callers that ask to speak to "Mr Smith" and if they don't get put through they think that they deserve an explanation and that they are more important than them that yes, is unprofessional. I don't understand why telemarketers act like this sometimes because it gets you nowhere and they should expect to be spoken to in the same manner as they speak to them. So i do understand your view aswel.

5. n7 Studios

n7 Studios UKBF Newcomer Free Member

96 19
    Surely this begs the question how are they wasting our time - and more to the point, how effective we are in dealing with cold callers?

If you don't politely, but firmly, state that you are not interested in their service early on, they'll take the window of opportunity to sell you their service / product - and that's when it can get nasty!

If the caller should fail to effectively tell you what they are selling within the first words of what they're saying, then yes, they may not be the most efficient at their job. This doesn't mean you can lament them or be rude to them. You simply ask them what they are selling, and then if it's of interest, ask them to tell you more, or if it's not of interest, tell them it's not of interest, get them to call you back in the future if it's something you'll consider later on, or just say that you don't wish for them to call you back again, but thank them for their time.

At most, I'd expect the above to take one or two minutes of my time. It's very little, in reality.

Basically, a little bit of professional courtesy goes a long way, and I completely agree with the OP - there is no need for people to be rude to cold callers.

If the cold caller is polite - be polite back. If the company policy is not to accept cold callers, or the service they are selling / providing is of no use, simply state this once, politely but firmly, and that is the end of the conversation. If the cold caller, at this point, is persistent, you simply repeat the above, and put the phone down. Yes, putting the phone down is rude, but it ensures you don't say anything rude to them, and it's a quick, clean way to terminate the call. You've given them the chance to say thank you and hang up, but they haven't, and it saves a lot of time for you.

If the cold caller is rude - two wrongs don't make a right! Being rude back solves nothing. Simply state the company policy on cold calling e.g. we don't do business with cold callers, but thank you - and simply put the phone down.

As I said, putting the phone down on a cold caller is rude in itself - but it's a last resort. If they are persistent and won't end the call naturally, you can do this e.g. thank you for calling, but we are not interested in your service, good bye (put the phone down).

Absolutely agree with you here. The professional cold callers do succeed, because many of us will do business with them - there is that rare time when what they phone about is of relevence to us, and it might even be a good product or service!

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: n7 Studios Member since: Jun 13, 2008
  6. JoyDivision

JoyDivision UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,713 189
    I am one of these rude people, I used to get these about 6 times a week, and they could not take no for an answer in the end I just started to eb rude to them so the conversation ended there. Since not being in the Yellow Pages and having all my business phones on the TPS this problem has thankfully ended.

I just say firmly but politely "I am not interested, good bye". What really gets my back up is people try to sell me websites, if you do some #';[]=-! research they wil find that is one of my areas of work!

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: JoyDivision Member since: Sep 25, 2005
  7. starsgazing

starsgazing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

271 25
    No matter how many calls we get from telemarketers, I am still polite to them because they are human beings. Having had a brief stint in telesales myself (during my teens), I understand that I am just a name & number that has come up on their screen; a potential lead and sometimes they only get paid if I "bite" (for those cruel companies that don't pay basic). So, I just let them know that we are not interested & to please remove my name from their list (duration of call : less than 10 seconds). It's just basic courtesy, really...

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: starsgazing Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  8. snipe12

snipe12 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

329 42
    Cold calls can be annoying but so longs they listen and don't try keep you on when you have said no, then I have no problem. I have had some great deals and products pitched at me from a cold call. There's just no need for rudeness. How hard is it to listen for 30 seconds and politely decline. Afterall, they are just are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. I am not in support for cold callers or anything but I think it is a tough job and they deserve at least a polite "no thank you".

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: snipe12 Member since: Nov 2, 2007
  9. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    Poor you to be honestly and professionally working in a sector where in the main callers are time wasters.

I think it is a bit like road rage. It is easy to be rude to other drivers when you don't know them and will never meet them, unless they stop and get out of the car - then you are trouble.

Cold callers give me road rage equivalent, but just lately I have decided to force myself to smile at every driver I happen to have interaction with and it's making me feel good. Perhaps I'll do the same with cold callers now.

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  10. JoyDivision

2,713 189
    The problem is in quiet times when the bank is breathing down your neck, you have bills to pay and the phone rings you think yes a job! Then you answer it after 15 seconds you really they are trying to sell you advertising space in a magazine that dosn't exist I get very angry.

11. Online Trader

Online Trader UKBF Newcomer Free Member

765 71
    A firm but polite "sorry we are not interested" does the trick 9 times out of 10

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: Online Trader Member since: Sep 28, 2007
  12. snipe12

snipe12 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

329 42
    Very true. You're an exception and have more right than most to be rude.

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: snipe12 Member since: Nov 2, 2007
  13. n7 Studios

96 19
    But where does getting angry or getting phone "road rage" actually get you? Does it make you feel amazing? Does it solve the situation in the best, most efficient way possible? Think of all that time and energy you're expending being het up about a cold caller, when you could have quickly dismissed them when you realise their service or product isn't what you are looking for, and could already be cracking on with the next bit of that important project or sale.

If you met these people face to face, would you be so rude to them?

I apply the same rules as I would when conducting communication by email: "would I say this to the person face to face?". If not, then I wouldn't say it by email, and I certainly wouldn't say it over a phone! It's all to easy to make a quick quip or rude remark in an email, only to regret it later. In a phone call, easier still because it's "live", and you don't always have time to think about what you're saying.

Sure, we have to let our anger out in some way - and it's all to easy to do this to a faceless person on the end of a phone, who perhaps got their research wrong and are trying to sell a service you already offer. But seriously guys, come on - what does being rude achieve? How would you like it if I, as a customer, phone you up and started *****ing on, being totally rude because your company screwed up on a tiny little thing to do with my purchase / service?

Yes, these calls can be annoying - and yes, when they get their research or facts wrong, it's annoying moreso. Just be polite, smile, tell them such, and leave it at that.

14. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    Actually there is one thing worse - the ones who call you at home. There is NEVER a good time for someone to offer me a free kitchen.

Thinking about it few types of advertising are so intrusive as those who make you pick up the phone and talk to you without being invited to. At least on telly you can make a cup of tea.

Edit to say to N9 that if you read my post you would see that I have given up road rage and being rude to callers.

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  15. JoyDivision

2,713 189
    I am rarely rude to them, only I am only rude to them if they start making sarcastic comments, I have had "don't you want to get rich!".

And those who say would you be rude to them face to face, yes I would I am. If people down Market Street keep pestering me about market reserarch there is only so much you can take before you flip.

16. n7 Studios

96 19
    Sure - it wasn't a dig at you or anything, so sorry if it came across like that! - but it seems to be the general theme that we can easily get angry and het up by it all, but do we really need to? The point I was trying to get across was that being angry about it doesn't solve a lot.

I think cold calling to a home is different, in work I don't mind receiving these calls, but at home, they do indeed feel more intrusive. But again, I'm just polite, and 99 times out of 100, the same person / company never calls me again.

17. n7 Studios

96 19
    As I said, if they're rude or sarcastic to you, take the higher ground! Be polite but firm, say you don't want their service or product, good bye, and hang up.

With market researchers - again, they're just doing their job! If they ask have you got time, I simply say sorry, but I don't, and walk on.

I don't get angry, I don't need to be rude, and I don't waste time and energy!

18. JoyDivision

2,713 189
    I am always polite at first too, but I start to get annoyed when sometimes they have so many ofthem you just can't move. Charity pests always seem to pick their worst moments, when I am literely upset because my finances are so bad you get tramps asking for money.

But as I said before thanks to the TPS cold calling is no longer a problem for me :).

19. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,948 245
    I cold call as part of my business. I am always polite and honest about why I am calling, and so people are rarely rude when I ask for their help. If people are rude, then I feel that it is their problem. I know that I have not been pushy or done anything wrong, so I figure that they must have some kind of personality disorder to make them behave in such a manner. If you are cold calling you should be able to accept rejection as part of the job and not get hung up about it. Just put it down to bad manners and move on. Life is to short to start such a campaign as naming and shaming, it wouldn't work anyway.

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 By: BusinessIdeas Member since: Aug 23, 2006
  20. georgina.suntel

84 7
    oops sorry didn't mean to start anything but at least i can get some idea of how you feel about cold callers. I am not rude what so ever to those that are rude to me on the phone nor do i push if i recognize theyre not interested or simply dont require the service- its a waste of time and effort for me and for the other person!! I don't quite understand myself why telemarketers push and push and annoy people either as its such a waste of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.