Royal Mail Price Increase 2013

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paretowasright, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Anyone else spent the whole morning trying to squash things into 45x35x8 cms packages?

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  2. NorfolkCoastModels

NorfolkCoastModels UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Royal Mails Price hike has really hit us bad, one of our main suppliers has put their prices up to £6.50 per parcel.

Anyone know a good cheap courier as passing the cost onto the customers won't help us much.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: NorfolkCoastModels Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  3. puffin

puffin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

344 28
    An update that could prove some useful info for BPL code users.

As you were aware I was having trouble with Signed For on BPL.

The code you use for Signed for BPL is BPR.

Apparently we were meant to have received an email about this, I certainly got no such email.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: puffin Member since: May 20, 2010
  4. paretowasright

paretowasright UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

671 98
    Puffin thanks so much for this....I was getting conflicting info from RM today!

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: paretowasright Member since: Jan 2, 2009
  5. NorfolkCoastModels

NorfolkCoastModels UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thank you guys.

We've decided to up our minimum order size for customers, in order to compensate a bit. Our suppliers parcels are usually medium parcels so £4.24, they charge a bit for the time spent packing which we accept, I think we will be going into batch processing of orders from now on too.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: NorfolkCoastModels Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  6. puffin

344 28
    No problem.
    Always happy to help on here, as others do the same.

7. LianneF

LianneF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 57
    Just logged into OBA and looks the same apart from price for CRL is different to the book for us plus there is a surcharge. Anyone had any luck in finding out what is happening with specials, do we need to use the new PPI label as each time I ring Royal Mail I get a different answer. I was told to use the RM24 labels but why have new special labels on their website here http://royalmail123.com/infocentre_guaranteedppi.html but when you go to the Produce PPI label section they aren't listed?

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: LianneF Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  8. puffin

344 28

You've got until July to use your old labels.

9. LianneF

LianneF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 57
    Hi Thanks, It would be nice to figure out what labels to use before then though so I can get more printed, what is everyone else doing?
    Lianne

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: LianneF Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  10. leee

leee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello. Just updating our franking machine and checking new prices and noticed that even though the smaller Large Letter rates have stayed the same for stamps, the franking prices have gone up. Not sure if anyone else using a franking machine has noticed this. So we're saving less but it's still costing us the same to lease the franking machine.

Also, the new rate memory card for the franking machine that comes from the franking company via Royal Mail is wrong and the new small and medium parcel rates have not been updated correctly, so we have to enter everything manually until this get sorted, and we don't know when that will be. Again not sure if anyone else is having this problem..

Royal Mail have royally f'ed up with this. Along with Amazon price rises this will mark the start of the return of the high street

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: leee Member since: Sep 17, 2011
  11. deniser

8,104 1,702
    The high street is never returning. But Amazon will sell everything.

12. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    Not in the old form no, but there should be opportunities arising for creative types to set up shops selling their own clothing, food, gifts, furniture etc. It's kind of happening in Whitby, on a small scale, there are a few shops that sell their own produce so they are not governed by multi-nationals only tourism.

If only landlords were a bit more creative with their thinking, we might see a different high street to the one we were used to. Perhaps a more vibrant high street?

That's only if the costs of running a shop reduce though. At the moment, just having a small retail space on your own and not paying yourself a wage can easily eat in to 24k upwards a year...not including stock.

(WAY OFF TOPIC BUT THERE YA GO)

All our prices have gone up with the latest RM price change so we're coming off Amazon and eBay, there's no point, the margins aren't worth it any more and don't generate enough profit to pay us a wage.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  13. deniser

8,104 1,702
    That's a good thing if everyone does it.

14. cobwebknits

cobwebknits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    I can't believe they have almost doubled the price of sending a parcel just because of its dimensions. So much for helping the economy and how can a business that has queues miles long every day at my local post office be in financial trouble!? We need to start a campaign!

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: cobwebknits Member since: Oct 11, 2012
  15. swirlysal

swirlysal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Use BPR for non-VAT registered recorded delivery :)

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: swirlysal Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  16. volatyle

volatyle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 2
    After reading through the posts here and sifting through all the spiel from RM's website n literature I can sum it up as greedy BS.

They are going to shoot themselves in the foot during these tough times by pricing out small businesses, small e-tailers and ebayers like me that have given them a lifeline. Private courier companies would have ate them up a long time ago if it wasn't for small businesses that haven't bothered to look at other options and entrusted in RM to provide a fair n economical service. Businesses and consumers are getting more savvy, so that wont last with these changes. And during a double dip recession as well, the cheek.

The dimensional formats are just nonsense. Sneaky ploy to price most items into the "medium parcel" bracket at double the price. And the 16x16x16 exception doesn't help anyone aside from themselves with their brilliant new perfect box if your confused and want to buy another over priced product.

There is little to no real excuse for this pi55 poor business strategy. They have been closing down post offices, trimming down staff numbers, upping prices at way above inflation with 220million profit last year. Staying competitive rationale for exorbitant unwarranted price hikes is just another greedy monopolistic maneuver that I am getting sick and tired of seeing from "big businesses".

Its no wonder the govt wants them to go private and profitable. They sure do act like every other fat cat corporate outfit these days.

I will be forced to look at alternatives and I advise you to do the same!
    Myhermes and p4d look interesting.

OH AND STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM PITNEY BOWES. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. Shameless sales people posting here trying to con you. Dont fall for it.

Sorry to use caps on that point. But I worked for them for a year and a half and it was a soul destroying experience. Greedy rubbish company with piss poor customer service, contracts you get stuck in and so many hidden costs I dont know where to start. I would not touch a franking machine with a pole that stretched the universe.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: volatyle Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  17. websnail

websnail UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

511 89
    No idea why but the literature indicated the PPI creator tool wouldn't be updated until today.

You can still use the old PPI labels for a while yet so no rush... My advice would be to ignore it for a few weeks and let others stress them out about it so they fix it then sort it out then.

Oh and regarding International PPI impressions. As of today the DMO system is using the new PPI symbols for UK postage but all International post was using the original 1st Class PPI symbol so it would appear that you continue to use that International contract PPI mail.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  18. websnail

websnail UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

511 89
    Got a few other rumours and confusing nuggets to put to bed as well.

1. Royalmail 24 and 48 (ie: old PacketPost 1st/2nd class) DO NOT have any dimensional banding as stated numerous times throughout.

2. CRL post (RM 24/48) cannot be put in the same sack as BPL (Non VATable 1st/2nd class) post. The reason for this is simple... Your CRL post is based on weight and item count and as such needs to be in its own sack(s). If you start chucking in BPL post with it, you'll throw out the sack weight and the numbers. More importantly there are now a raft of charges levied by RM for incorrectly pre-sorted/bagged/tagged items so if in doubt, double check with your account manager and the local collection depot.

Just as a side note... for anyone using eBay with Packing Partner (and possible Linnworks, etc..) the service names appear to have changed on eBay and a few other places so if you have any scripting that reads/links service names you'll want to update them so they're correctly recognised. This tripped me up with my RM 24/48 post today so worth a little digging... Won't affect most people on this thread though I suspect.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  19. mark_s

mark_s UKBF Regular Free Member

243 12
    Ok so I've had a read through some of this thread but can't find any recommendations as to what service can be used instead of royal mail. Being employed full time I can only get to the post office on a Saturday morning, generally I sent 10 items using standard parcel which cost £5.40 per item. The price for my items has now gone up to £11.96 each which is too much of an increase for me to realistically charge my customers. Has anyone found or can recommend a courier service who will be cheaper then royal mail and who will collect on a Saturday morning. The only cheap one I've found gives a collection time of 8am to 9pm and I don't want to spend my day off waiting in for the courier. Cheers

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: mark_s Member since: Dec 21, 2008
  20. spamalot

spamalot UKBF Contributor Free Member

77 1
    I am not VAT registered and started using PacketPost today.

I was left with three piles.

Larger letters - I put these through at STL - Cost around £1.05 each
    Packgets under 8cm thick - These BPL - Cost about £2.25 each
    Packets over 8cm thick - These STL - Cost about £2.75 each

Were the codes right? Do the prices sound right to you?

I then put each different sort in a different sack, recorded it on the online order thingy, I then just put the cable tie round it with a 2nd class tag (with my posting number written on) and left it at the post office.

Was that the right thing to do, I have no idea?

Thanks for your help, I'm a little concerned. I tried calling them but they weren't very helpful.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: spamalot Member since: Jul 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.