Royal Mail Price Increase 2013

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paretowasright, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golf Tee Warehouse

Golf Tee Warehouse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 2
    What size labels are you using Alan?
    We have just redesigned our labels to suit the new requirements and can still use the same blanks labels as we used before (64mmx38mm - 21 labels per sheet), by using the smallest PPI size and moving the 'Delivered by Royal Mail' logo below the new rectangular box and still leaving room for a return address below the Royal Mail 24/48 Insignia.

You can also have the 'Delivered By Royal Mail' logo elsewhere on the parcel and doesn't have to be on the PPI label, so could be incorporated into the address label or as a separate label.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 By: Golf Tee Warehouse Member since: Feb 10, 2010
  2. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,095 336
    We have ours pre-printed on our packaging which means at this point in time we have approx 5000 boxes with the "old" style PPI on them already!

Royal Mail are a bunch of d*cks for chaning this again after they did it just last year.

We have been given an extra 2 months before we have to change after the official date....how generous!

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  3. gr9ce

gr9ce UKBF Newcomer Free Member

423 90
    Just about sums up the ridiculous new pricing...

Sent 2 x small parcel up to 1kg first class total cost £6

to same customer (who had paid for 1st class therefore courier out question)

Send both together 1 x medium parcel up to 2 kg 1st class £8.90

Therefore costs £2.90 LESS to process 2 items rather than 1. Imagine if this was a remote customer and one parcel missed the delivery cut off....2 trips simply because RM have not engaged brain.

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 By: gr9ce Member since: Jul 17, 2011
  4. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

773 113
    I suppose the thing is 2 small parcels go out in the posties bag. 1 medium parcel goes out in a van, so diesel, maintenance, van running costs etc. Of course the only problem there is that posties now seem to all arrive in a van, deliver to each road and then drive off to the next one!

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  5. elraymonds

elraymonds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Did you publish it anywhere, where is the image. What is the flowchart software you used to draw it?

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 By: elraymonds Member since: Nov 21, 2012
  6. Ryan_M

Ryan_M UKBF Newcomer Free Member

46 3
    Went to send a shoe-box weighing just over 1kg yesterday and was shocked to hear that the price was £8.90 for 1st class and £8 for second class.

That is absolutely absurd and it's really quite sickening. Our courier charges £7.50+vat for next day delivery, signed for with £50 insurance and anything up to 5kg - COLLECTED.

I was expecting the shoebox to cost around £4. Cannot understand what the RM are playing at or why they have been allowed to raise prices so high.

If they continue that way they'll go out of business in no time if privatised.

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 By: Ryan_M Member since: Jul 25, 2013
  7. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

773 113
    It's the parcels that they wanted to reduce or get paid more for delivering - that was the plan. They were the loss makers and it had to be done to get the figures looking better for privatisation.

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  8. Unshoesual

Unshoesual UKBF Newcomer Free Member

38 10

I found that. I sell shoes too and always post second class recorded. I sent a pair in march, £3.65. Same style in June, £6.30! I also have a few pairs that come in over 1kg. I've taken to weighing them first and removing any unnecessary packaging from the box. Boots will have to go via courier though as they're over 1kg

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 By: Unshoesual Member since: Jul 19, 2013
  9. highlander99

highlander99 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    I have just been looking at the PacketPost page on the RM website and one of the questions is 'do all of the parcels fit through a letterbox' - answering yes to this results in postage of £0.80+VAT, answering no results in postage of £1.80+VAT.

We do fit through letterboxes for our product (we have tested this extensively), however we are more than 25mm thick (which is the requirement if you click the help button for the question). Our product is about 33mm thick.

So would we need to tick no to this question and pay the higher postage despite making the general criteria of 'do you fit through a letterbox'?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    Posted: Jul 29, 2013 By: highlander99 Member since: Sep 15, 2010
  10. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,095 336
    Have you got a link to that.

We use packetpost all the time for tens of thousands of packages but never heard of the 80p rate.

25mm is to do with large letters rather than parcels.

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  11. highlander99

highlander99 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    royalmailtechnical.com /parcelpricecalculator/step1_calculator.cfm

I can't post live links on the forum yet, so remove the space after .com and add www at the front of the link.

Then just follow the steps, the letterbox question is towards the bottom of step 2

Posted: Jul 30, 2013 By: highlander99 Member since: Sep 15, 2010
  12. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,572 1,679
    The 'letterbox' dimensions are: 25mm thick by 353mmx250mm. If your item is below those dimensions it is a Large Letter, bigger and it becomes a packet. If your items are 33mm thick then they will not be a large letter and you will have to pay the higher rate for them to go as a packet.

You might want to get something like this to check your post.

Here's a link to the page referred to above:

http://www.royalmailtechnical.com/parcelpricecalculator/step1_calculator.cfm

Posted: Jul 30, 2013 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  13. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,953 342
    Apparently a "standard" letterbox is 200mm x 38mm

Posted: Jul 30, 2013 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  14. VATHelp

VATHelp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

35 4
    Hi, I use the BPL code. Can you please confirm that this does not apply to me as I am still using the 1st and 2nd class labels..

Thanks

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 By: VATHelp Member since: Sep 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.