Royal Mail Price Increase 2013

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paretowasright, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profscooter

profscooter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 13
    Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: profscooter Member since: Jan 23, 2012
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,913 2,154
    I just thought I would play Devils Advocate for a minute and say that these price hikes could benefit us.

For a long time my business has been affected by cheap hobby sellers who have very low costs and possibly do not pay tax. They cut margins to the bone and undercut more established sellers. Now that anyone who sells less than 1000 parcels a year has a HUGE post price difference, this will undermine the hobby seller and rationalise the market a bit.

Obviously this effect is more obvious in the £10-£30 average order realm.

I pay £1.85 for postage (its the surcharge that adds the £0.05 to the quoted £1.80) and the hobby seller has to pay £5.20+ for the same service. It levels the playing fields....

Now I am ducking ...

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  4. Chris34

Chris34 UKBF Regular Free Member

522 143

I fully agree with you, that's exactly what I think. Packet Post used to have a decent edge on the over the counter customers, then over recent years they have equalled the balance with price increases which affected us business sellers. Now with this change it gives business sellers a firm upper hand.

Chris.

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Chris34 Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  5. Quickpacksupplies

Quickpacksupplies UKBF Regular Free Member

157 13
    Are there any alternatives out there which are cheaper , has anyone found?

James

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Quickpacksupplies Member since: Sep 17, 2012
  6. TheGeekestLink

TheGeekestLink UKBF Regular Free Member

369 23
    You don't need to duck. Something needs to be done about eBay and the other people that are stealing business from legitimate companies to pay for a holiday a year.

It's interesting that Royal Mail never told me that they'd reduced the # of packages to 1000 when I asked a few weeks ago (we've been short of the original 5000 but this will now help to make us so much more competitive).

So thanks! Probably the most useful post all year!

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: TheGeekestLink Member since: May 4, 2011
  7. Trisha&ChrisPlant

Trisha&ChrisPlant UKBF Regular Free Member

313 114
    Aha! I was confused by this as I had looked at Packet Post online and couldn't see where everyone was getting min. 1,000 packages from, as the RM info says 5,000 min. Obviously, not up-dated their info yet.

Agreed, probably the most useful post all year!

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Trisha&ChrisPlant Member since: Feb 6, 2012
  8. TheGeekestLink

TheGeekestLink UKBF Regular Free Member

369 23
    Yep. I can't see the reduction anywhere either. I'll call them and find out (when they open). :)

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: TheGeekestLink Member since: May 4, 2011
  9. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,603 1,694
    Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  10. glitter girls

glitter girls UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    The new Royal Mail price hike has meant the cost of sending one of our products has gone from £2.70 to £5.65 an increase of 109%.

How can they really think a medium parcel is anything over 8cm in depth. Please sign the petition that is floating around on twitter and fb to do something about it.

Small businesses everywhere are going to be affected and so are consumers. How can anyone running an internet businesses afford to compete against large businesses who get really good volume rates with couriers. I think it is terrible and yet another blow to the entrepreneurial spirit of this great nation.

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: glitter girls Member since: Feb 8, 2012
  11. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,913 2,154
    All you have to do is get a business account with The Royal mail so long as you send over 1,000 parcels a year.

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  12. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,214 1,719
    Well I used to be a fan at £2.20 for 2nd class parcels, but now I just packed an item which was impossible to make 8cms at it was 9 cms. No way Royal Mail, it has gone via courier at £2.50 cheaper than your rates.

Sorry but the price hike was due to incread demand - because you were good value - now you are not - you wont be getting as many parcels - fools.

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  13. spamalot

spamalot UKBF Contributor Free Member

77 1
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. This should only affect the smallest of sellers who post less that 3 parcels a day.

Now I've moved over to PacketPost (and got to grips with how it works) my costs have gone down since March. People are saying they're closing their business because of the price increases. How could you have a business when sending so few packages that you can't meet the 1000 a year you need to sign up for PacketPost?

I guess they could sell very few high value items, but I guess in that case they should be using special delivery away.

As has been said, it only really affects the man on the street or low volume sellers... not business who do reasonable volumes. For professional sellers it's a good thing.

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 By: spamalot Member since: Jul 31, 2008
  14. planemadgirly

planemadgirly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    Ive just got Packetpost(CRL) added to my OBA
    Could someone help with this for me PLEASE:)
    1 have 4 packets (2 RM 48 signed for ,2 not signed for) by RM 48
    Signed for 1 is 1300 gms,other is 600 gms do i add these 2 together and take an average 950 and buy 2 x 950 and tick the signed for box?
    Then on another line put 2 x 800(the unsigned ones) and buy postage
    Can the 48 signed for and 48 unsigned go in one sack???
    I know that i have to keep them separate from my BPL packets
    Thanks

My Rm manager didnt know the answer to the question!

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 By: planemadgirly Member since: Mar 4, 2013
  15. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,379 536
    Correct...make two seperate entries.

Not sure on the sack questions. We've mixed sacks on a fair few occassions and to date nobodies told us off.

Mister B

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  16. planemadgirly

planemadgirly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    Thanks a lot...thats what i did on Monday:)
    I put the 48 signed for and 48 unsigned in the same sacks..i can never get enough of those things(manager ordered more for me on 19th March..they have never arrived!!! I have had to mend a load of holy ones today!!!
    I keep having to leave notes out for the postie for more :(

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: planemadgirly Member since: Mar 4, 2013
  17. Dmkths

Dmkths UKBF Newcomer Free Member

76 14
    Just pop down to your local sorting office and ask them to fill a sack of sacks for you.

Regards,

Mark.

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: Dmkths Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  18. ZetlandBoxes

ZetlandBoxes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    If any of you guys are still looking for boxes for the new parcel rates then we've just restocked after a crazy couple of weeks selling to loads of businesses affected by these changes.

We've got boxes for the 160mm cube exception as well, which apparently quite a number of postmasters were not initially aware counts as small parcel rate. Google Zetland Boxes for more info.

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: ZetlandBoxes Member since: Apr 8, 2013
  19. dag-uk

dag-uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 6
    My local post office is classing any cube below 16x16x16 as a small parcel ! So, if its 12x12x12 it's a small parcel, is this right ? I thought small parcels had to be no more than 8cm thick ?

Regards,

Dave

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: dag-uk Member since: Mar 11, 2013
  20. Quickpacksupplies

Quickpacksupplies UKBF Regular Free Member

157 13
    Quick question - do CRL guys need to update their PPI labels to show 24 and 48 images?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: Quickpacksupplies Member since: Sep 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.