Royal Mail Price Increase 2013

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paretowasright, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffin

puffin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

344 28
    Hi Deniser,
    How do the interlink prices compare?
    Thanks

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: puffin Member since: May 20, 2010
  2. TheGeekestLink

TheGeekestLink UKBF Regular Free Member

369 23
    That's exactly what's happened to me. Royal Mail has lost thousands from me a year... I don't see how these changes are making them more competitive...

Can I ask: how have you handled the price increase? I know I've got to raise my prices, but I just don't know how to do it. I currently offer free delivery, but I think I'm going to go back to a standard delivery fee depending on weight / size. Your opinion would be really gratefully appreciated :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: TheGeekestLink Member since: May 4, 2011
  3. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

775 113
    Because they lose less money by NOT delivering your parcels than they lose when they do.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  4. desperatesam

desperatesam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I too was offering free delivery until we all heard RM were increasing their prices so had to re-think a new strategy.

So tried other couriers like Parecl2go.com and the prices are that low I am still able to keep my offer of free delivery to customers :)

Happy days.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: desperatesam Member since: Apr 4, 2013
  5. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    My interlink prices are £4.50 < 1kg and £4.75 <5kg. Anything over this is £5.10 all next day signed for.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  6. puffin

puffin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

344 28
    What volumes is that based on?
    As that £4.75 - £5.10 price is very good for that weight.

Although the 1kg is dearer than Royal Mail I suppose, but still when its next day that isn't too bad at all.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: puffin Member since: May 20, 2010
  7. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    We do send quite a bit through, but I think there spend is a minimum of £150 a week. Not 100% sure!

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  8. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    We pay (on small volumes - I'm sure you can get better rates on higher volumes):
    Small bag under 1 kilo £4.50 - would be classed as a small packet with RM so RM cheaper for this unless customer requires next day delivery.
    Large bag under 5 kilos £4.75 (5 kilos this size with RM would cost £16.20 1st class recorded)
    Large box up to 10 kilos or multiple boxes to same address (one charge regardless of number of boxes) £6.70
    Europe box up to 31 kilos starts at £10.50 for zone 1
    These are plus fuel surcharge.
    These are for next day delivery with one hour time slot, customer notifications, tracking and reliable collection from our premises.

RM parcels not classed as small packets cost from £6.30 for 2nd class or £6.75 1st class signed for and take about a week to arrive, aren't collected and aren't tracked.

No comparison really..

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  9. TheGeekestLink

TheGeekestLink UKBF Regular Free Member

369 23
    That's super useful information :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: TheGeekestLink Member since: May 4, 2011
  10. Sports Gear Wizard

Sports Gear Wizard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi Deniser, can I please ask what you class as small volumes ? Thanks, Graham

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Sports Gear Wizard Member since: Apr 5, 2013
  11. Chris34

Chris34 UKBF Regular Free Member

522 143

Do you realise that those dimensions don't apply to the new 24/48 service available on packpost? The dimensions on this service are 610mm x 460mm x 460mm for parcels.

Prices for me are cheaper for me. They have removed the 750g weight band so it goes up to 1kg now but that just means that more of the parcels go through at the cheaper rate which is £1.80 + VAT.

Chris.

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Chris34 Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  12. deniser

8,104 1,702
    I will look into this thanks - is it a signed for service?

13. deniser

8,104 1,702
    We send between 3 and 25 a day by Interlink. The rest goes RM.

14. deniser

8,104 1,702
    Just tried the online price calculator thingey and £1.80 is for untracked and unsigned. Tracked but still unsigned is £4.40.

Need to work out whether the difference is worth the extra aggro caused by missing and uncollected parcels when they are not signed for. A lot go missing when a signature is not required because they won't fit through a letterbox. It probably is. My postage cost is £25kpa so really need to bring it down.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. Chris34

522 143
  16. Chris34

522 143
    The parcels that go missing are your customers trying it on, this is an absolute 100% fact. My parcels that go missing are less than 1 in 200.

If you have more that go missing than this then there is no other reason other than your customers trying it on. None of my parcels fit through a letter box.

My market is a market where you wouldn't expect thieves to try it on as there is no resale value in the product, they are low value and the customers are what you would class as a trustworthy market.

So based on the facts I know how good the Royal Mail are. It used to cost 75p extra for signed for. 200 X 0.75p equals £150. That one parcel in 200 that goes missing doesn't even cost me a fiver so the service isn't worth it for me.

The problem most people have is that they are selling in untrustworthy markets which is why in some sectors you have to have a signature to cover yourself for the unworthy scumbags out there. But I can assure you that the Royal Mail are almost 100% reliable.

Chris.

17. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    We changed our prices, knocked most of the small stuff into the higher band and just kept the really small stuff with royal mail.
    90% of it cost over £5 when we expected it to be cheaper.

Im now thinking its better just to drop RM totally as its far less hassle with the courier

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  18. profscooter

profscooter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 13
    Just spotted this in the latest eBay sellers update regarding the changes to Top Rated Seller new minimum requirements for the autumn (this may also be covered in another thread):

"Today’s buyers increasingly want all the good things you’d find on the high street, combined with a seamless online shopping experience. They expect fast handling times, speedy, low-cost postage and straightforward returns options."

Since these Royal Mail changes, "speedy, low-cost postage" simply isn't available to the average seller. Clearly shows a complete mismatch of expectations between what eBay and the buying public expects and what is actually possible for sellers to achieve.

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: profscooter Member since: Jan 23, 2012
  19. deniser

8,104 1,702
    Our parcels are much higher value - between £50-200 each - so every one which goes missing - for whatever reason - is quite costly. On balance we've found it better to pay 92p or whatever for the tracking number - just to give the customer peace of mind as well if it is delayed - than to save the money but there comes a point when the maths will reverse this scenario.

We have often switched to non signed for and one will "go missing" in the first couple of days. Using signed for, missing parcels are extremely rare. Interlink have never lost one (touch wood) and RM lose about 1 in 1000.

20. deniser

8,104 1,702
    Yes, ridiculous isn't it coupled with their compulsory returns policies which are way beyond what is legally required at present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.