Royal Mail Price Increase 2013

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paretowasright, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. websnail

websnail UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

511 89
    Yes (on sacks)... Only bit you didn't specify was whether you had 1st and/or 2nd class items together or separate.

You should separate into different sacks based on format AND class so if you have a mix of 1st and 2nd class on those items you would have 6 sacks as:

- Sack #1 for 1st Class Large Letters
    - Sack #2 for 2nd Class Large Letters
    - Sack #3 for BPL Packets (1st Class)
    - Sack #4 for BPL Packets (2nd Class)
    - Sack #5 for STL Packets (1st Class)
    ... and so on...

In terms of prices, I checked on OBA and shoved in some test figures with 2nd class, 100g small parcels (BPL) and 100g packets (STL) to get your prices with a penny difference on the STL code.

Sounds like you've done some experimentation to get those figures and looks like as non-VAT registered you've got the best mix (Disclaimer: unless someone finds a better way/mix ;))

Re-read and caught the reference to 2nd class in which case, if you've sent it all 2nd class, 3 sacks will be fine.

On the tags front, not sure if the tags have changed but you'll want to check if you should be using something else for the STL coded sacks. I know they're different with International Mail so that could be where I'm getting confused.

All in all, can't think of anything they'd find fault with... If your Post Office's collection depot do things differently or want you to adjust the way you sack things up (for eaxmple: put all the packets in one sack) they'll filter the information through the collection driver, to your PO and eventually to you but that's always specific to the collection depot so unless specifically told otherwise, stick with the system indicated by RM.

Hope that helps...

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  2. volatyle

volatyle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 2
    I cant post a direct link to the petition as I am a new user, but google "petition 46737". It should be the first result.

In tune with all the discontent with the unjustified price hikes, we need to get the ball rolling.:mad:

Although it will probably fall on deaf ears as with most public pleas to this government, one has to try.

And for people looking for alternative courriers; Myhermes, interparcel and P4D are ones I am looking into.

Myhermes does have some scathing reviews, but I may forced to try them anyway and cross my fingers. If anyone else knows of more reliable and economical alternatives, I am all ears!

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: volatyle Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  3. spamalot

spamalot UKBF Contributor Free Member

77 1
    That helps loads, thanks.

However if I'm signed up for packet post should I not be using the crl code?

Very confused!

Edit- are the crl prices and sizes staying as they are?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: spamalot Member since: Jul 31, 2008
  4. podrek

podrek UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Cant believe what cost me last week to send a small parcel less than the size of a cup weighing just a few grammes now costs me over £5 rather than £2.20. You can purchase an item from china for less than £1 which can include postage (for small/medium parcel). How can any UK business compete. This has been the last straw for my business. I started as bricks and mortar shop, then moved onto e-commerce and now can no longer compete with this price hike. I removed all stock from my e-commerce shop yesterday. This could quite possibly nudge me into bankruptcy. No way will I ever go back to retail!

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 By: podrek Member since: Apr 2, 2013
  5. cobwebknits

cobwebknits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hi. What is PacketPost? Sounds cheaper than trad RM but is it still part of RM?

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: cobwebknits Member since: Oct 11, 2012
  6. cobwebknits

cobwebknits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    I've actually googled ParcelPost and know what it is now, but why do I have to have 5000 parcels to qualify? I'm building a business. would love to have that quantity of orders but only have 1000 + at the moment.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: cobwebknits Member since: Oct 11, 2012
  7. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    I believe Royal Mail lowered Packetpost to 1000 orders per year.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  8. spamalot

77 1
    And 5000 for track and trace. When you qualify for this is it free?

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: spamalot Member since: Jul 31, 2008
  9. websnail

511 89
    Sorry didn't realise you were on "Packetpost" (as was, now called "Royal Mail 24/48")

Yes, based on that you should be using the CRL code and putting all your CRL post together. HOWEVER, you might want to do some sampling of your standard sort of postage and do some math, comparing what you would be paying for CRL (RM24/48) vs' what you did yesterday.

From 2012-13? No... They went up somewhat... Check back to a post I put on, about a month ago for details of what changed price wise, it's all there.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  10. websnail

511 89
    Royal Mail 24 and 48 are now both set at 1,000 unit per annum.

Ok, you're in danger of confusing yourself and others here.

Track and Trace is a service provided on the RM website to access tracking information from any Royal Mail parcel/letter with a tracking number.

You are thinking of "Royal Mail Tracked" (24 or 48)... The minimums for that have been changed as well and are also 1,000 units. But remember that's 1,000 units minimum for that service... You can't have 1,000 packages overall and be sending them 250 Tracked 48, 500 RM 24, 250 RM 48...

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  11. wildchief

wildchief UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    and when i get to 15 posts i will put the url up!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: wildchief Member since: Oct 22, 2010
  12. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,911 2,152
    Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  13. TheGeekestLink

TheGeekestLink UKBF Regular Free Member

369 23
    Well, I'm despairing. First posting day today and calculating the same prices on Friday compared to today and the spend would have been £28.80 but was exactly £70 today.

That's crippling. I can't see any way around it but to use couriers which are of a comparable price and then charging the customer.

This is an absolutely shameful price hike which I can see putting many out of business.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: TheGeekestLink Member since: May 4, 2011
  14. spamalot

77 1
    Do have details of the cost of the tracked 24/48 service?

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: spamalot Member since: Jul 31, 2008
  15. websnail

511 89
    It's something you get quoted for depending on your projected volumes so it's not something I could just ream off for you.

As you can imagine the more you send, the cheaper it'll get, but talk to an account manager.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: websnail Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  16. P4D | Parcels4Delivery

P4D | Parcels4Delivery UKBF Newcomer Full Member

284 37
    Hi Volatyle,

Thanks for the mention.

I used to be in this forum quite regularly saying "Royal Mail is the cheapest for under 2kg", but this is no longer the case. We are taking in a number of those now struggling to cope with the changes and price increase, so if you haven't yet been in contact with Rob here in Sales, you can reach him directly on [email protected]. He'll be happy to discuss your options and hopefully find you an affordable alternative, depending on your volume.

Cheers,

Nat

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: P4D | Parcels4Delivery Member since: Aug 29, 2008
  17. puffin

puffin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

344 28
    Nat,

Presumably, P4D are only competitive 1kg+?

Can you give us a clue on pricing?

Thanks

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: puffin Member since: May 20, 2010
  18. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    I've just finished my new flowchart for my packers and anything going to the UK mainland that doesn't fit into a small packet size is now going by Interlink which is much cheaper than RM and gets delivered the next day. Before we only used to send by Interlink if it weighed more than 1 kilo. That's another 20% of my business that RM have lost on top of the circa 30% they lost on the last lot of increases.

Silly thing is RM gets left with the stuff they don't want which is Scottish highlands, islands and NI rather than my 500-1000g local parcels which must be much easier for them.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  19. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    I imagine they'll sell off the highlands service and anything that's complicated. They can't be making a profit from it so they'll be working out a way of ditching it without causing blind panic.

There's probably a way of creating a rival to RM using the existing courier networks and local networks e.g. Use a courier hub in York and have small courier vehicles operating in surrounding areas and towns delivering to the hub every afternoon. Be a logistical nightmare for anyone wanting to attempt it though, and a marketing one too.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  20. P4D | Parcels4Delivery

P4D | Parcels4Delivery UKBF Newcomer Full Member

284 37
    Hi Puffin,

Looking at the new size measures it is only the Small category in the Under 1kg list that is still cheaper with Royal Mail. Everything else can realistically be matched or beaten on a P4D Pro account, but remember this depends on your shipments - the more you send, the less it costs. We're talking about high volume business accounts here, not adhoc bookings.

Naturally with a courier, this is a signed-for service and all business rates are for a Next Day service.

I hope that helps!

Nat

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: P4D | Parcels4Delivery Member since: Aug 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.