General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Royal Mail Misery Due to Start Once Again!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by boho, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    For anyone thats missed it, the Royal Mail are going on strike again during October, dates listed so far are 5th, 8th and then a series of rolling strikes from the 15th October onwards.

After it causing such misery and problems for my business I have had enough with their dire service and the fact that they think it's perfectly ok to destroy as many small businesses as possible just as we go into the Christmas shopping season.

I have moved what business I currently can away from them to SecureDX, which so far has been excellent, it's a £3.50 flat rate fee for up to 1kg on a next day delivery service within the UK, using secure, tamper proof envelopes, which I just drop into the nearest DX collection point (for me both are solicitors offices) they can also arrange collections if you have a lot of daily post to go out. As I send a fair chunk of items by special delivery anyway this works out cheaper, it has meant that I've had to increase the postage price previously offered on small value orders, but hopefully that won't make much difference.

If anyone wants to make the move then now would be a good time, before the strike hits. Web address is www.thedx.co.uk. Or contact ukbf member Steve - username ssb101 and get him to get you set up!

Now if I can just find a means to deal with my overseas & Irish orders & heavier orders then I'll be totally sorted [​IMG]

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  2. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    Boho, when I saw this news I cried. October is the busiest time of year for us as a party store, (think Halloween) these strikes will virtually destroy our business this year and we will be left with £10,000s of stock which was ordered months ago and can't be shifted till next year.

The worst part is that customers just don't understand at all. The public are very badly informed regarding what is happending during these strikes.

We shift thousands of parcels during October so I suspect your DX solution would not be suitable for us. I'm thinking everything must go by courier but in order to make this less of a financial disaster we may have to impose a minimum order.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  3. Markb

Markb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

128 10
    Disrupted services due to strike - how will we tell the difference?

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: Markb Member since: Oct 14, 2005
  4. swsw

swsw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

69 1
    They'll shoot themselves in the foot, just like last time (many years ago).

A company I was working with had to start delivery their own mail internally on trucks, found out it actually worked pretty well, and never went back to Royal Mail since they saved 1000's every week.

I never understand strikes. Nobodies a slave in this country, if you don't think you're getting a good deal, go find a better one.

Vote with your feet, not the ballot box.

Steve

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: swsw Member since: Aug 26, 2007
  5. ssb101

ssb101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

49 0
    Thanks Lucia, I'm glad we're giving you a good service.

If anyone else needs help during the forthcoming disruption then contact me at:

[email protected]

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: ssb101 Member since: Oct 31, 2006
  6. boho

1,411 135
    Silly Jokes, I was thinking of you when I posted it, as I know like me you suffered last time, and you're right customers don't understand at all. If it's feasible for you to go the dx route (I would guess perhaps a largish chunk of your stuff would weigh under 1kg?) then definitely do it, with your kinds of volumes then I'm sure Steve would be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat and get it all picked up for you daily :D .

The only reason I can't go that route is that I never know how many items I'll have to go out on anyone day, because of the made-to-order side of things there is a delay between order and despatch, and so for now I couldn't guarantee a consistent daily need for collections, it doesn't sound like you'd have that problem though.

Royal Mail are a nightmare! I cannot see how they can justify their actions and I don't think anyone will sympathise with their workers for causing such misery to the small businesses they will affect and do harm to right before Christmas, and even worse still for those that have Halloween to consider.

7. boho

1,411 135
    swsw the last strike wasn't years ago, it was a couple of months ago, and it caused chaos to people like Silly Jokes and myself, and did a lot of destruction to my business as it was right in the middle of peak wedding season and it meant customers were worried that items wouldn't arrive in time for their big day and a lot went elsewhere on the high street instead, also meant trying to deal with lots of frustrated customers when goods didn't arrive or were very late. With this repeat decision to allow random strikes, in different locations on different days there is not even any way of being able to predict and give a more reliable guestimate of when things might arrive.

Royal Mail should have the word Royal stripped from them...they are barely mail, let alone anything regal, the only royal they are is a right royal pain in the @rse!

8. ken_uk

ken_uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,224 242
    The way Royal Mail has been going, I would not be suprised if the people in charge of its future had shares in rival companies!

They are out for money, at the expense of a service, more people are looking elsewhere for alternatives. This will probably mean they lose money, and have to push up prices, or introduce more stupidness, such as their recent 'does it fit through a certain size slot' sillyness, causing more people to move away to rivals, further pushing the downward spiral towards self-destruction.

When will firms learn, its not always a good move to squeeze every last ounce out of customers? To much greed kills in the long term.

Out of interest do DX delivery packages up to 2 kilo's if so whats the rate?

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: ken_uk Member since: Jul 27, 2007
  9. boho

1,411 135
    Lol, I think if I worked for Royal Mail I would have shares in the rivals! Their union has a lot to answer for, talking to post office staff most don't even seem to have a desire to go out on strike or any real support of the situation at all.

Unfortunately the maximum weight for securedx is 1kg. I think there would be a massive increase in business if they were able to open it up to packages up to a couple of kg though.

10. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    While you work on an alternative shipping solution, have you thought about suing the Post Office for the extra shipping costs? Make it a very visible lawsuit, contacting various papers to explain how you're doing this to help your customers to receive their Christmas packages on time - despite the despicable behaviour of union scrooges. You might win some public support, but mostly it would be a unique way of informing your customers of the real situation - so they'll still turn to you in the future. Maybe one of the legal eagles at these forums would help you free of charge; just think of all the free publicity they'd get. :)

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  11. lajlaj

lajlaj UKBF Newcomer Free Member

180 16
    I am so hacked off about the new strikes as well. I have just contacted Steve by email to see if they can deliver to consumer.

The last strike was during out busy summer season on the kids ID stuff and so many people missed having the wristbands delivered on time for their holidays and us having to refund, it was beyond a joke.

I've just invested thousands of pounds into a new website and new stock/lines in time for Christmas and if the strikes continue then we are going to hit a real brick wall in terms of cash flow.

We have a fantastic post lady and one of my ex-employees now works for the sorting office and believe me I understand their woe's. But do they understand or give a hoot about mine?

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: lajlaj Member since: Feb 20, 2004
  12. OhSoCherished

OhSoCherished UKBF Newcomer Free Member

160 7
    Oh Boy!!!
    Last time the strikes were a complete nightmare for us. We use Royal Mail for all our despatches and it caused all sorts of problems. We've been constantly looking for an alternative so was interested to read about SecureDX. Unfortunately some of our heavier items fall past the 1kg , we really wanted 1 solution rather than use a few companies for different weight packages so it probably wouldn't work for us.

When strikes are happening we put a banner up in our checkout section stating there are postal strikes and orders will be slightly delayed so please bare this in mind...not sure why we bother, customers tend not to read this and still blame us!

We got told off last week for leaving a package on a ladies door step and it got rained on, she told me I shouldn't be letting the postman do that!!!
    I don't think she understood that we don't run Royal Mail ;)

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: OhSoCherished Member since: Sep 20, 2007
  13. Games4Business

Games4Business UKBF Newcomer Free Member

800 18
    Unfortunately, not everyone uses services like The DX. Its fine for us to send out using services like this, but we're still left with inbound post, talking of which we had a letter that couldn't be folded or pushed through the letterbox of our office, so they left it outside and it was confidential information which the sender did not post recorded, silly mistake on their behalf, but not very secure on Royal Mails behalf, especially when they did try and push it through the letterbox, it got stuck so they ripped it out leaving the envelop opened at the top. Couldn't be bothered to complain, wouldn't do much good, but luckily someone was in the office to make sure it didnt go missing.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 By: Games4Business Member since: Jul 19, 2007
  14. ssb101

ssb101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

49 0
    Hi,

Whilst SecureDX is upto 1kg and you may have items which go over this limit, if a large proportion fit this profile, I'm sure it will give you enough volume which can be used for the service. Even if it's not a total solution, any solution during October is positive.

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: ssb101 Member since: Oct 31, 2006
  15. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    RM Statement

The 5th and 8th strikes are actually 48-hours long, meaning the whole service will be in turmoil for the whole of that week.

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  16. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,513 4,448

The useless buch of t**ers the 5th is a Friday and the 8th a Monday, they are looking for a long weekend off!!!!

These people are useless, lazy scum who lurk at the bottom of the lowest depths of a very small, very dirty pond!!!

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  17. Games4Business

Games4Business UKBF Newcomer Free Member

800 18
    They must be gnomes with fishing rods :)

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: Games4Business Member since: Jul 19, 2007
  18. Guest

0 0
    I am still p*ssed off about last time.

I never late file anything ever.

But this year I sent out a set of accounts to co house for one of my companies, a few days before the mail action: and 3-4 weeks before they were due - didnt arrive till the day after due day: where the hell they had been in between who knows!!!

Automatic fine £100...I think that is appalling. Most first time offenders for every offence get let off: like the kids who vandalsied one of my businesses. But me? no chance. - according to companies house, I had the choice to hand deliver them, or send them by courier. My answer was unprintable.

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  19. warnie

warnie UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

523 245
    I must admit i don't know the ins and outs of the strike, but what i can say is one of my close friends works for the royal mail as a postman, as does his wife. Now i know for a fact they both earned £18k plus last year, leaving the house at 4.30am and getting back before 11am most days. For a job that requires you to post letters through a door and nothing else, i think its dam well paid!!

Theres people working on the front line in banks that struggle to gross 12-13k a month

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: warnie Member since: Sep 24, 2007
  20. .Spiralling.

.Spiralling. UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,015 100
    you mean a year surely?

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 By: .Spiralling. Member since: Jan 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.