Royal Mail bagging - DE4 / MTE / MP7 and MP9 service codes.

Discussion in 'International Business' started by DanH, Oct 13, 2021.

1. DanH

DanH UKBF Newcomer

108 5
    Hi,

We're about to start using Click and Drop service codes that are new to us. I'm trying to work out what our sack needs are.

Currently we have four sacks to cover overseas parcels, existing Royal Mail service codes in brackets:

EU standard (IE1)
    Rest of Word standard (1E1)
    EU signed (MP5)
    Rest of World signed (MP5)

When we move to C&D our codes will be:

EU standard (DE4)
    Rest of Word standard (DE4)

which is simple enough and only invloves two sacks. But then we get to the new tracked/signed/tracked and signed options:

EU signed (MP9)
    EU tracked & signed (MTE)
    EU tracked (MP7)
    Rest of World signed (MP9)
    Rest of World tracked & signed (MTE)
    Rest of World tracked (MP7)

My account manager could not tell me if these 6 service codes could go in the same sack or needed to be separated by service code. I was told to ring the business enquiries number and the person who spoke to me was also a bit vague but then said they could go all go into separate EU and Rest Of World sacks. This sounds great as I end up with the same number of sacks I am using currently so it would look like this:

EU standard (DE4)
    Rest of Word standard (DE4)
    EU signed (MP9/MTE/MP7)
    Rest of World signed (MP9/MTE/MP7)

However, when I look at the sack tags they sent me today, they have tick boxes for three zones which lists EU, Rest of World Zone A and Rest Of World Zone B. I've seen older versions of the tag that have a simpler EU / Rest Of World tickboxes.

So do I need two or three sacks here? What is everyone else doing?

Thanks

Dan

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 By: DanH Member since: Jan 5, 2010
  2. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor

102 25
    The newer labels are the P6668C type :rolleyes: The RowA is the newer USA only zone, while RowB is anything else except EU. If you separate everything, there's 9 permutations :eek:

There's a guide here (with an old P6668C !):
    https://www.royalmail.com/business/system/files/3748-Mail-Presentation-Guide-17-02-20.pdf
    It suggests that you only separate the Tracked & Signed, Tracked and Signed items by the zone (EU, RowA, RowB) when "posting large quantities".

TBH we always separate by zone, but predominantly only send Tracked so just the 3 bags in any case!

You can't put your DE4 item in bags using the P6668C labels, as DE4 is standard mail so stick with the P6138C for these.

^^ not sure this is technically correct :confused: - you want to separate MP9, MTE & MP7 service codes into 3 bags minimum, but obviously more if you then split by zones. Try what's best for you and if the local mail centre doesn't complain and the mail gets through, then you're winning :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Posted: Oct 13, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DanH

DanH UKBF Newcomer

108 5
    Thanks for that. It frustrates me that the person I talked to yesterday said it would be OK if mixed service codes (MP9/MTE/MP7) went in to the same bag so long as they are seperated into EU/ ROW. Having potentially nine bags instead of two is a postion I'd rather not be in. Typical Royal Mail, different answers depending on who you speak to!

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 8:38 AM By: DanH Member since: Jan 5, 2010
  4. DanH

DanH UKBF Newcomer

108 5
    Just got our welcome letter for adding these newer tracked services to our C&D account. In the letter it has this:

Labelling
    You must follow the guidance in the International Tracked User Guide however for this service there is no need to separate EU and Non EU items sort your posting by service and place the correctly sorted items into mailbags.

You must apply a correctly completed label (P6668C) to each mailbag in the form set out below. You must complete the box marked 'Product', noting which of the listed items is contained in the mailbag by ticking the relevant box. You are not required to complete the box marked 'Zone'.

Interesting, as that contravenes all the info I have had from anyone so far, including Royal Mail! So technically I will have three bags for tracked/signed:

EU/Rest of World signed/tracked (MP9)
    EU/Rest of World signed/tracked (MTE)
    EU/Rest of World signed/tracked (MP7)

I think I can deal with that!

Dan

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:51 PM By: DanH Member since: Jan 5, 2010
  5. DanH

DanH UKBF Newcomer

108 5
    Actually, it doesn't contravene what you posted about the old guidance, I guess they've surmised we don't post 'large quantities' so as to separate by Zone!

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:53 PM By: DanH Member since: Jan 5, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1