Royal Mail 24 / 48 : how much for parcels over 2Kg ?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin Smith, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

562 57
    I agree it`s rare for the RM to lose or damage stuff, but when something goes missing trying to phone them up is a nightmare. Typical example, we send out a parcel, the customer tells us he hasn`t got it, we say it`s probably at their LDO (RM Local Delivery office), but you try phoning your LDO ! Even if you can find the number they hardly every answer it.....

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,902 1,625
    In that case I usually request redelivery via the website to the customer's address. Surprising how many people have not had a card saying to collect the parcel but do get delivery a few days after requesting it.
    I won't use the phone system for redelivery of mail, my accent isn't that bad and it cannot get close to the words I'm using.

Rare I have to even bother with that.

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Their prices are very competitive up to 2 kilos on the 48 service. We pay £2.40 (no VAT because goods posted are zero rated) for most of our parcels - some heavier ones are a bit more. They can be quite large for this price too as you don't have the same distinction between small and medium parcels that you do at the counter.

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  4. Justin Smith

562 57
    What about if stuff is sent out non recorded ? Until starting with RM24/48 we used standard parcels and only paid extra for "signed for" if the order was over £20 (or £30 if a previous customer). But signed for isn`t tracked anyway, it just tells you when the item is actually signed for. Thus the customer still has to contact (or visit) the LDO to see if it`s there. Obviously being able to phone them up to check would be far easier than calling round on the off chance.....
    Of all the stuff we`ve sent out non recorded we haven`t had more than a handful go permanently missing in over 10 years. More common is the customer says he can`t wait so we then have to send another order out, then the original order turns up, either at the customers house or gets returned to us !

5. Justin Smith

562 57
    There`s no VAT to pay the RM, but VAT is chargeable to the customer and must be paid to the IR.
    The exact situation is there`s no VAT on delivery if the item you`re sending has no VAT on it, but if it does then there is VAT on the cost of delivery. This is for the obvious reason that suppliers could just make the carriage almost the complete cost and the item almost nothing, then get out of paying the VAT.

6. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    Most of our stuff is sent out non recorded. RM track the items and we can click on tracking any time.

Here's what I see on tracking. Basic 2nd class post large letter item.

The item was delivered.
    [​IMG]
    Accepted
    DoneMon 1 Jul
    Done
    In transit
    Done
    Out for delivery
    Done
    Delivered
    DoneMon 1 Jul
    Done
    Tracking details
    Royal Mail tracking #3205103290000C828XXXX
    • Jul 1, 2019
    • 11:36am
    • DELIVERY RECORDED
    • Jun 29, 2019
    • 12:01pm
    • Tracking number provided

7. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,392 605
    Just to be clear... mine was a genuine question....most of the stuff I post out is large letter 100g-250g non-recorded 2nd class ...it costs me £1.32 (I payan OTC retail rate because then I can claim if it goes missing) ...I typed in some figures into the Parcelforce calculator, & the prices that came back were not good at all.

Mr D...are you saying that you only pay for a non-tracked service yet they still give you tracking? (or have I misunderstood). How mucg are you paying for a large letter 100g-250g?

I was actually looking at Hermes 'postable' service ...they charge £1.89 + VAT upto 1kg (providing it fits through a letterbox)....else it's £2.39 + VAT

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  8. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    Good question, will have to go through my bills see if I can find a day when paid that rate.
    Stuff I sell large letter is in the 11g to 600g range so rare day when charged over 100g rate.
    That's for later, I'm trapped under the dog at the moment.
    Yes that is indeed tracked sufficient to call a customer out on it. All my parcels and large letters are done that way, been standard for some time.

What codes are you using for large letter?

Hermes - I used them for a couple of weeks. Loss rate was about 1 in 10. Stuff not getting delivered cost my business considerably and almost cost me by ebay and amazon accounts.

9. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    According to a bill for April over 100g large letter if I'm reading it right is £1.03. Plus VAT, so total of £1.24.
    Can only see one date since prices increased when have paid that much for that weight, usually its the under 100g price.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Pish_Pash

2,392 605
    Just so I fully understand, you are saying that you are essentially paying £1.03 + VAT for a 101g~250g large letter ....and even though you are not selecting a tracked service, you still get tracking?

You say that it's sufficient to stop customers pulling a fast one, but I'm guessing it's not quite sufficient for Ebay INR Cases? (in other words, Ebay will need a tracking number. else will find in the buyer's favour?)

I don't use a RM code...as I say, I pay retail rates (becuase then I can lodge a claim if the item is not received). I use a service called drop & go at the local post office (I send on average about 20 large letters per day), becuase frankly it's the path of least resistance for me.

I know Hermes have a bad wrap, but I've been using them three weeks now...nothing gone AWOL yet...I'm also hoping that when an INR case is received, having a Hermes tracking number might protect me from losing.

£1.89 for a tracked package is an extremely competitive price. It's all pretty well integrated with Ebay too (when I purchase the label, the customer gets the tracking number, so it cuts down on "where's my item" type messages...which can be a time sump.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  11. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Yes of course. We only sell goods that are zero rated.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  12. Mr D

14,902 1,625

Yes royal mail 2D barcode tracking is sufficient for ebay.
    That appears to be the price on my statement from royal mail. Does not look like it could be any other kind of single item.

Royal Mail introduced its barcoding system a few years back, tracking is shown as I copied yesterday. Enough to tell ebay the item is delivered. Enough for me to tell a customer what time and date item delivered. Does of course mean RM are a lot less likely to pay out on a claim of INR but as I never claim anyway it doesn't bother me.
    Last INR I had that had to refund buyer was a wholesale cost of 20p.

I use click & drop. It works, keeps costs down and can walk out of the house at 5.15pm with sacks and still catch the post van.

Package price I'm paying considerably more than £1.89. However stuff gets delivered and the post office is a hundred metres away - walk it if have just a small bag to take.

Looking at orders over the last week my business has had 3 large letter items over 100g (its a quiet time of year).
    However paid only under 100g price because of average weight. One of the items is 420g and goes in a box.

13. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

519 78
    In regards t
    Problem is there is no house number and postcode with the tracking information on the untracked mail. Just random events.

I completely agree that the untracked, tracked ones are great and cut down on scammers. For eBay cases they proof nothing since delivery address can not be verified.
    Twice I got a delivery and they claimed it was delivered but I never received it. It turned out they shipped it to a different customer and mixed up label's. It goes both ways with scammers and mix ups.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  14. bharris

bharris UKBF Regular Free Member

540 81
    Linked to the tracking number is the address that the item was posted. PayPal accept the tracking code as proof of delivery as part of your seller protection. Obviously it cant stop label mix ups as with any method of posting.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  15. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

519 78
    Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  16. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    That sort of problem no amount of tracking can solve.
    We solve it by labelling the envelopes and parcels with content in writing. Even without checking inside I know what label to put on stuff I have not packed.

17. Pish_Pash

2,392 605
    So I googled Click & Drop & landed here...

https://parcel.royalmail.com/

...and the pricing on there is woeful - I'm sure Royal Mail purposely make all their services opaque! (I'm guessing therefore that you've negotiated better rates)

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  18. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    It shows enough to catch the scammers or agree yes the item does not show as delivered.
    When it only shows item as sent then I cannot prove buyer has had item. But previous to the system I could not prove buyer had item then either.
    Cheap and cheerful. And usually does the job.

Had to refund someone last year for a £10 order because the tracking only showed item sent. I make a list of such items and check them periodically.
    A few weeks later item showed as delivered. Checked with ebay as to what to do now they suggested invoicing the buyer.
    Sent buyer an invoice at 10am that morning with a nice email regarding delivery, was paid inside the hour.

For more valuable orders there is of course the usual signed for, tracked, special delivery etc.

19. Mr D

14,902 1,625
    Don't have the volume yet for better rates.
    Do have the account facility. Stuff sent out today (and indeed in last 2 weeks) gets paid around the 21st August.
    Wonderful for cashflow except in January and February.

20. Justin Smith

562 57
    We always put two labels on stuff sent by carrier, the carrier despatch label and either our invoice (customer address outwards) or a separate label with "From ATV" and our address. I must admit we don`t do it for stuff going RM, partly because it`s lower value, but it`s got our return address on which is the next best thing.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012