Routine Working From Home

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jimmy Tootime, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Jimmy Tootime

Jimmy Tootime UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Hello everyone - hope you are well.

I have run a small business from home for a few years, but i really struggle with staying motivated. I have tried counselling, watching motivational videos, doing exercise in a morning. I have tried talking positive to myself and waking up to music etc.

Some mornings i get up early and have a productive day, other days i get up late and am more demotivated. I will check my emails regular, i will browse Youtube and i get hardly anything done. I might complete 1 - 2 hours of work maximum.

Does anyone have any advice on how i can stay motivated and have a set routine at home please? Any advice you could give i would really appreciate, i really am stuck at the moment.

All the best,

Jimmy

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Jimmy Tootime Member since: Aug 28, 2019
  2. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,224 4,272
    I've been working from home for years, forget routine, you only beat yourself up. Routine is a construct of the working environment, the 9-5, it doesn't apply. Pat yourself on the back for the good days, let the bad days pass. Take up tennis play a lot, help out with your local Cub pack, look after your Granddaughters.

There is no routine, there is just life. Keep some separation from work and personal affairs, nobody work related gets your personal number, or your personal email, switch the computer off. Don't try and separate working hours and personal hours, work at 2 in the morning if it suits you, if it doesn't, don't.

Don't try and conform to a construct that doesn't suit you, find your own way and make it work for you.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,131 246
    Sounds like me, everyday.

Apart from that, the above is sound advice.

There is no 9-5.

I usually do my best work between 1am and 4am.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  4. Jimmy Tootime

Jimmy Tootime UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Thanks for your comments.

I think the key is not to beat myself up for the bad days and keep positive. I will try make sure my work does not overlap into my personal affairs either, i need at least some set finish time.

I will hopefully have more success, i do appreciate your comments. It is hard working from home, but it is life the distractions we face.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: Jimmy Tootime Member since: Aug 28, 2019
  5. estwig

12,224 4,272
    If I may, this hasn't occurred to me, I don't think I've ever set a 'finish time', I set goals, stuff I want to get done today/this week, clearly I have an idea of how long that should take. But I don't ever view my efforts in terms of 'time', only in goals.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  6. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,896 979
    Get a job at your local council. You'd still be more productive than half the staff and you'd be in senior management in no time.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  7. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

4,008 1,268
    Go for a run
    wash car
    mow lawn
    sit on lawn with coffee
    have lunch on patio
    trim some bushes
    sit on lawn with coffee
    Sit on lawn with beer or similar

What is there not to like about it

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  8. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

570 134
    I started my own business to achieve two goals: 1) make money and 2) have the freedom over my life that my 9-5 took away.

I work from home.

So long as I am achieving no. 1), I do not worry about the when/where/how/hours, which gives me no. 2). I don't have to force myself to work because my goal isn't to spend X hours per day working, my goal is to actually work less while making more money.

Being able to spend 3 hours lost in youtube videos or going to the cinema in the day is part of the reason I do this.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,193 1,804
    I set up an area as my home office. Then between certain hours will only answer the home phone or door while on break - boss wants me he rings on mobile or emails.
    I decide for example to start work at 6 then I focus on the work for a couple of hours then take a break then back to work and so on.

Anything non work comes up my wife usually let's me know in advance and I wait until I come to a pause in the work and slip it in - a visitor can be entertained a few minutes while I finish off a line on spreadsheet or finish a section of writing.

Very easy when working from home to become unproductive. It's also very easy to become very productive.
    But has to work for you - if routine does not work then try some other method.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,544 2,132
    Many people get fed up commuting to work, or doing the only job they can find, you one of the lucky ones who does what you like

That does not mean life is a easy route, you still need to live and earn money to do so

Try making a list of jobs at the start of the week you feel you need to achieve and how many hours to apply to each job, then stick to that schedule, be it work 9 to 12 each day or 5-9 just try and make it a regular time and keep to it, then the rest of the day is your to enjoy

Take a trip by rail to your nearest city at 8AM on a weekday, take a photo of the happy crowded train carriage and hang the photo above your desk, to remind yourself how the other half spend their days

You can also get a copy of the London Gazette and read about all the people who lost their companies each week and maybe gain some motivation from those losers

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  11. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,394 584
    Whenever I work from home I always either go for a run or take the dog out in my lunch break to split the day up. Lots of fresh air and exercise gives you focus. Alex

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  12. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Regular Full Member

371 105
    Perhaps try a day or two per week hotdesking or at a local serviced office, where you might find that a slightly more structured work environment is conducive to higher productivity.

And I completely agree with @estwig . Goals achieved has nothing to do with time taken. Finish work when your client is satisfied, not when the clock says 17:00 or any other arbitrary number!

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  13. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,394 584
    As Brian Tracy says; if you can't stay focused, you'll have to work for someone else who will force you to stay focused. Paul.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  14. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

4,008 1,268
    I might be having a laugh in my previous post but If you are struggling to motivate yourself then working for home may not be for you

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. EeeTea

EeeTea UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 4
    The other's are right. There is no set times to work when you work for yourself - that's why you're doing your own thing right!? BUT. You still need to work enough to earn that crust. Effective organised time management works for some (including me), and it works like this:

"Time Blocking"
    (I use Outlook, but a paper diary or anything else will do). Allocate date, an amount of time (be realistic!! and adjust as you get more experience) and a priority. I also colour code for type of activity. eg. Today I have 08:30-09:15 Emails and OAP (Organise and Prioritise)[Orange - its Admin], 09:15 - 10:00 PROJECT A [Maroon -its paying me money!], I then have 4, 15 min blocks just following up on some fee proposals, and networking. I have nothing for 15 minutes...buffer space, stroll around the garden or a chance to get back on track. 1hour block for weekly accounts [Orange again!] ....and so on.

Every call, every job - make sure you allocate a time and space whether its tomorrow, next week, or a follow up in a month (with "NExt Action" and Status...where you're up to , and a priority (1= must do today, tomorrow is too late, 2 =important, 3= normal, 4= less important, 5 = when evs!)

Why is this good? It's clear what you need to do, and whether you're trying to cram too much into a day. You can tick off as you go...and if you finish early, shove off and go for a walk! NOTHING gets forgotten or missed - this relieves the stress of trying to remember to do everything. On bad days (yes we all have them) we can take a view as to what's important, and if you want you can push some of the less important stuff to another free space (or choose to do the less important stuff and move the important stuff to when you're more switched on).

Furthermore, allocate time to the important stuff when you're at your prime (for me, the morning, less taxing stuff to the afternoon).

It also gives a sense of direction and organisation to an otherwise lonely life of self-employment - and a reward if you get done early without feeling guilty that you've missed something.

Adopt and make it so it works for you - its a tool - not a self-flagellation device.

Good luck

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: EeeTea Member since: Feb 8, 2019
  16. estwig

12,224 4,272
    I was going to contribute to this thread, I'll have to do it later.

'Loose Women' is about to start, followed by 'Cash In The Attic', then it's time for a nap, I gotta go make a cuppa.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  17. Dinky

Dinky UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 1
    Hi Jimmy

I too have ran small business from home for many years now and have gone through it all. My biggest challenge was getting out of bed in the morning as I found when I did get up early my day would be much more productive, but my snooze button would take a harder bashing than a whack a mole! I found a trick that works for me however!

I have my normal alarm go off, which of course gets the snooze treatment, but I also set my phone alarm to go off 15 mins later with the phone placed on the otherside of the room. I hate that alarm, and the only way to stop it is to get out of bed! Getting out of bed is the hardest part, so once I'm up to go turn the alarm off, the battle is won! You still have to be disciplined though not to jump back in to bed, which so far I haven't done in over a year now and I've been more productive than ever!

Emails were a nightmare (business emails that is) as they would constantly interrupt whatever it was I was trying to do, so after reading about how to tackle this I switched off automatic download of emails (I use free email client Thunderbird) and have set times throughout the day where I download and reply to emails, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. This means less distractions throughout the day so as I can concentrate on work.

With regards to YouTube or surfing, this just comes down to discipline and there will be often times some random subject will pop into my head that I want to google, but recently I've been able to avoid the urge by saying to myself I will allow myself 5-10 mins after I have completed the task in hand. Then I have a little break surfing to get it out of my system and then back to work.

With regards to routines, I actually prefer a set routine, say 9-5 which just suits me better, but each to their own and do whatever you find is more productive to you. I'm actually working crazy hours at the moment 7 days a week and go through such phases every now and then, which makes it all the more easier to accept and be less hard on myself when I am less productive and say 'f' it when it's a crazy nice day out and I take the afternoon off.

Single biggest thing to me being more productive however is the phone trick getting me up and out of bed in the morning! Give it a try!

I hope that helps, and best of luck!

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 By: Dinky Member since: Jun 7, 2014
  18. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,193 1,804
    There are days I'm most productive early in the morning then go to bed. Days when I simply get up early and do 2 or 3 hours before 9am.
    I prefer working daytime if I need to contact others real time. If can wait a day or two for replies then night working works just as well to be productive.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. britcoin

britcoin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 2
    I work from home too and have experienced similar problems. One thing I've started doing recently, after listening to some videos by Tim Ferriss (highly recommend) is first thing in the morning, before doing anything else, i'll write down 3 things I want to accomplish that day. It will hold you accountable when you start drifting down the YouTube rabbit hole, and there is immense satisfaction when you've done them all and you can cross them through.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: britcoin Member since: Aug 30, 2019