RM put up their prices before the 31 March, has anyone else been "done" ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

575 59
    We`ve just had a letter from the RM with 4 undercharge franking requests, each one with a £1 surcharge. That is very unusual for us so I checked up on it and all the items appeared to have the correct payment. Then the penny dropped, this year, 2018, the RM put up their prices one week before the end of the financial year, thus all the items had the "old" prices on (we update the company RM price list for the 31sty March which is when they usually put up their prices).
    Am I the only one who thinks it`s a bit sneaky of the RM to do that ? And then show no flexibility for the interim week. Let`s remember they`re charging us £1 surcharges for 30p underfranks. Interestingly not all the stuff we sent out in that week has been charged for underfranking, perhaps it was an inflexible Jobsworth who happened to be working as the items went through ?
    Has anyone else had the same problem ?
    I`m NOT happy about it, it`s the principle.....

Posted: May 13, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,635 1,848
    Did RM publish their increased prices? Did they notify you of the price increase?

Posted: May 13, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Justin Smith

575 59
    They did, but as far as my records show they`ve never put up their prices so far before the end of the financial year. Bearing in mind Franked mail is business mail one does wonder why they can`t just put them up on the 1st April, isn`t that the obvious time ?

4. Mr D

16,635 1,848
    I'd have said offhand they should put prices up 1st January.
    Then I can use a quieter time to adjust prices in advance.

5. Justin Smith

575 59
    I`d say the 1st Jan would be far more logical than the 26th March.....

I wondered what I`d have done if regular customers had ordered stuff off us at the previous price (which was, let`s face it only a few percent lower) in the week after a price rise, particularly if me insisting they pay the new price made the effective price rise much higher than that (because of a surcharge for paying the old price).
    Would I have done it ?
    Definitely not.

6. Mr D

16,635 1,848
    2018 - 26th March
    2017 - 27th March
    2016 - 29th March
    2015 - 30th March

Usually on a Monday and it appears to be always in March. The sole exception may have been because the Monday was a bank holiday.
    So the date this year could have been guessed a year or two in advance. Even if they didn't notify people.

Last Monday in March appears to be the key.

7. RedOnion

RedOnion UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

195 34
    I agree - always seems to be the last Monday in March.

We always get notification from Royal Mail, as well as messages from franking company about the increase.

Posted: May 13, 2018 By: RedOnion Member since: Jan 3, 2014
  8. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,966 710
    No, never had the "problem" of not reading a notification someone sent me and then trying to blame them because I didn't read it.

Posted: May 14, 2018 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  9. Justin Smith

575 59
    We`ve been discussing this point at work, and all agree the RM are arrogant *****, obviously being privatised has made no difference to the way they treat their customers. I can confirm that`s the case anyway, I`ve been waiting for a "business manager" to get back to me (after numerous calls from me) for 7 months, and it`s no easier to get through on eth phone than it was when they were in public ownership.

Funnily enough I`ve tried phoning RM "Revenue Protection" this morning, I actually think there are errors on at least one of their surcharges, but, for the first time ever on that number, it said "we are experiencing a high number of calls, please try again later", looks like I`m not the only one to get caught out.

Posted: May 14, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.