General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Rip off or a nod to original?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by The_JinJ, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_JinJ

The_JinJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

157 0
    Why do people seem to have the opinion that if you utilise a good idea (but don't blatantly rip it off) that you are in fact ripping it off?

We have taken the Million Dollar Homepage, which is an amazing idea and I think the guys a genius for thinking of it, adapted it and tried to add new features - www.tartan-pixels.co.uk. It is 100% custom written and has no code from the original - the idea is so good that there are/will be many, many people using it - that's life.

I would be suprised if anyone on here has a 100% original idea - most will have been done before, so are they ripping off the first person to have thought of it?

Just wondered what everyones thoughts are on this?

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: The_JinJ Member since: Mar 16, 2004
  2. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    It's claimed that Picasso said: "Good artists borrow, great artists steal".

I've certainly heard Paul McCartney use this phrase when it comes to songwriting and arrangement and the Beatles took heavily from a number of people.

Back when I was in IT, we regarded it as a sign of inability if a programmer was seen to "reinvent the wheel". The best programmers would copy chunks out of other programs and change the names of the variables.

I work in marketing and, I'm quite happy to say that I've never had an "original" marketing idea in my life.

Instead I've studied businesses that have outmarketed their competition and found out what they did.

Typically, what they've done is come up with an ingenious way to apply an existing marketing fundamental.

All I do is nick their idea and think of other industries it would work in.

Steve

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  3. mumper

mumper UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,091 0
    Hi Jinj,

It's not ripping off, just a variation on an idea. Look at the businesses on this forum, lots of web designers, hosting companies, PR firms. They haven't ripped off a competitor's idea - just set up a company because they happen to be in the same industry.

The same applies to supermarkets - we see well known brands in the stores and the cheaper supermarket versions - we don't say they ripped off the idea, they just made the same product but cheaper.

I wouldn't take any notice of the 'ripping off' comments - the world is full of products and inventions that other people have improved on. As you say, you have thought of new features to introduce which are obviously not in the original, carry on and good luck.

John.

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: mumper Member since: Jun 3, 2005
  4. Whistle Ink

Whistle Ink UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,098 22
    hi,

i think the reason why people might be saying 'oh its another million dollar website' is because the original was only in the news because it was and is going to make the guy behind it mega rich. Those reports obviously got people going to the site and the advertisers will have benefited.

What would you say is so different about yours? Why would someone go to your site to look at adverts and hover over tiny unrecognisable pixels to see what they are about? How are you going to fill this up? Are only the people who see it advertising on it? Or are you going to do some marketing to get people to look at it?

Bye for now

Paresh :D

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: Whistle Ink Member since: May 7, 2005
  5. The_JinJ

The_JinJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

157 0
    We are going to market the site - it's an experiment to see how effective this form of advertising is.
    The difference is features I suppose - the user is in control of the pixels - the traditional ones :))) you email your graphic, wait and ones it's up that's it for life.....
    Theres been some interest in the site - Real Radio are dropping a mention for us and theres been a few sign ups from word of mouth - also a lot believe this type of site works and want to get in before it fills up.

Thanks for the comments...time will tell if it will work out but so far so good :)

PS
    No one should never pass up the oppurtunity for any free advertising ;)

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: The_JinJ Member since: Mar 16, 2004
  6. Tiggy

Tiggy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

187 0
    I had this same discussion with someone on Ebay a while back.

They were moaning that someone was ripping off their idea by competing with them in the selling of address labels.

Not only had the person the audacity to sell the same thing, they had also copied the design , as in where to put the photo and where to display the address!!

Pray tell exactly how much choice is there of where to display on an oblong sticker measuring 3" x 2"?

let's be honest - some people are just nutters.
    Tiggy

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 By: Tiggy Member since: Jul 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.