Review my website if you would be so kind

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Onthebrightside, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Onthebrightside

Onthebrightside UKBF Regular Full Member

251 49
    I would be very grateful.

I am somewhat confused, if I take out the Astra theme I have it on won't the website just fall to pieces?

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: Onthebrightside Member since: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Onthebrightside

251 49
    90% are Zinc Roofing Clients - 5% copper (mainly church replacement- 2% lead (not popular now because of theft) - 2% stainless steel (usually replacing lead because it looks like lead). Hence the name of the website, although we do the other roofing types.

Of the Zinc Roofing Clients 50% are customers direct and 50% are via architects/builders etc.

3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    Not if you do it right.

Tried to call you but no reply. Which doesn't bode well for anyone calling you from the website...

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Onthebrightside

251 49
    When you say 'posts' do you mean the sentence above each page with a link to it - sorry to be dumb.

Additionally we would be telling you the same story again and again, other than different locations/heights/degrees of angles (which most people won't understand). Would that not be repetitive and boring? In the main we would be repeating that the architect loaded costs onto the job by designing it with more detail than necessary, didn't allow for enough of a drop and failed to connect the roof to everything around it (and we find that with most jobs).

5. Onthebrightside

251 49
    Apologies, himself was in the bath, I now have his phone.

He didn't jump out of the bath because the cat tripped him up last week whilst he was going down the stairs and he has done something to the muscle in his back that hits the nerve that goes down his leg. All those years on the roof and the cat nearly killed him!

He does normally answer his phone and normally always has it with him.

6. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,229 2,009
    When you say customers direct, do you mean local people just wanting a one of porch re-doing, some flashing repaired, small jobs, etc or bigger jobs that may take a week or more?

If I "as someone local wanting a new lead roof put on a porch" saw your site, I would have no idea if you did that sort of thing, where you are, how big you are, etc.

If I "as a builder" saw your site, I don't know where you are, how reliable you are, how available you are, how many blokes on the tools you have, whether you sub contract, whether you provide scaffolding, your history, etc.

If I "as an architect/surveyor" saw your site, I've know idea if I would be happy recommending you to my client, no idea if you do the whole job start to finish, no idea how you read spechs/drawings, etc.

When you have completely different customers, Joe public v Builders/Architects it's hard to do a site to cater for both.

Others will disagree, but I would have at least 2 sites and build them based on the customer and their needs.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    Login to your dashboard.

Then go Posts > New Post

The title of the post will the name of the project

Below that you just start writing.

Add images where appropriate

Publish

Rinse and repeat for each project.

Don't use Elementor or any other page builder. Just use the standard wordpress editor.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Onthebrightside

251 49
    I am so sorry I missed this earlier in the thread, that is so kind of you I am stunned and don't know what to say other than thank you.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,942 1,647
    I suspect that might be down to the cat food, have you tried Whiskas yet? ;)

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  10. Onthebrightside

251 49
    That was it exactly, he a plump little soul (cat not husband) and wanted feeding so he was trying to get his attention and got under his feet on the stairs. Rather than step on the cats tail he ended up throwing himself down the stairs:eek:

11. Onthebrightside

251 49
    Thank you once again, we are so grateful but I think we are going to be fine now as fisicx is helping us redo the site. But I am so grateful for your offer.

12. Onthebrightside

251 49
    They are normally customers relatively local in Essex, Sussex etc. that want a back extension small or large and they normally have builders already on the job who would have done the brickwork, woodwork etc. and shall be putting in the windows etc. It is the same with the architects, builders etc. in the main they will have already put the client in contact with builders who would have built the extension complete with the wood structure for the roof prior to us coming in.

13. Onthebrightside

251 49

Totally get your point, we have no detail whatsoever, hopefully I can change that over the next few weeks.

14. UKSBD

10,229 2,009

Chances are that 9 times out of 10 the builder or someone else on site would recommend the roofer, even if it's not the builder requiring the roofer, the end client will probably still contact one based on the recommendation of the builder.

Spending too much on a website, optimising, etc. shouldn't be your priority, getting known about by all the local builders should be.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  15. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,895 1,796
    ^^^ That ^^^

Yes, have a decent web presence. But most tradespeople use other tradespeople who've done work for them, or know of someone who has. They don't have the time or inclination to start scouring the flaky world of the internet.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  16. Onthebrightside

251 49
    Agreed to a certain extent but people that know this craft well are beginning to die out, people that can bodge it for a while are all over the place, but it is still a case that any owner, architect, builder would normally want to get at least 3 quotes on a job and for that reason we are still one of few they are likely to contact, particularly if our website is better than it currently is. I think Fisicx is right, we are not selling ourselves very well.

Take for instance the Kew Gardens Copper roof, originally created in the 1800's and lasted until the 2008 when my husband replaced it, he advised the architect and the Kew directors how longer lengths of Copper, which are now available, would ensure the same type of corrosion isn't able to take place on the new roof. Under that copper roof, unsually, is a concrete base with woodwork pushed into it, but my husband worked around that and created an improved roof which still met with the Grade II listed standards. It will now stand there at the entrance of Kew for even longer than its original, feeding heat to the glasshouses through the tunnels that run from it down to the hot houses.

So for some things, heritage (such as extensions on listed buildings), castles, churches, stately homes etc., some people might search a little further on the net - if we can beat our website into shape, we do stand a chance of getting some of that type of work in this area.

What I love about the man is that he takes that same level of care whether its Kew, Kensington Palace or Mr. and Mrs Jone's extension.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 By: Onthebrightside Member since: Oct 29, 2018
  17. UKSBD

10,229 2,009
    That's why I asked earlier who your customer is

The local person who wants a little porch done is completely different from the architect who wants heritage work doing.

You need to base the site on the customer, if that means 2 separate sites build 2 separate sites.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  18. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

334 111
    No problem. Just drop me a PM and we can have a chat. I am finished for the week now and preparing to host my staffs xmas party but free to chat anytime from Monday morning

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  19. Onthebrightside

251 49
    Thank you to everyone who gave us help and advice, we followed just about all of it and today our website www.zincroofinguk.com is on page 2. A special thank you to fisicx for the help in how to create the separate project pieces and on linkages.

Hosting UK have been brilliant, so thank you to the person that recommended them.

We haven't linked it to social media next, but that will be our next job.

Many thanks to everyone.

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 By: Onthebrightside Member since: Oct 29, 2018
  20. Limited100

Limited100 UKBF Contributor Full Member

61 10
    Add in customer reviews and testimonials.

Posted: May 12, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020