Returns Rant - relevant to clothes sales only!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by deniser, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    :D:D
    :D:D:D

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  2. allsquare

allsquare UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

571 39
    I blame Marks & Sparks :D

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 By: allsquare Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  3. Jay08

Jay08 UKBF Regular Free Member

187 17
    Was nothing wrong with the length measurement. We had more space then we thought for a L space desk so got a bigger size, they took it back without any problems.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 By: Jay08 Member since: May 20, 2008
  4. First in Retail

First in Retail UKBF Newcomer Free Member

145 13
    I think the post was an attempt at humour, please don't blame the forum, sometimes the loonies manage to get there logons correct and join in. You could help me bludgeon him to death if you like ? I don't mind sharing the task............

We just have to wait for a dark cold night .......mmmooohhhaaawwww

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    Posted: Nov 6, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  5. deniser

8,104 1,702
    You're exactly the sort of customer I'm complaining about. Those who don't measure first. :)

6. Jay08

Jay08 UKBF Regular Free Member

187 17
    You dont have to worry about me, i never return cloths that are the wrong size i just wear them. If am unsure i get a size bigger. But something like a desk had to go back, I dont know what i was on the day i was measuring.

LOL First in Retail.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 By: Jay08 Member since: May 20, 2008
  7. deniser

8,104 1,702

8. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    What is annoying is when a customer orders something & returns it for a refund just because it dosent fit, rather than get the next size.

Does anyone have any tips on how to push nicely for exchanges rather than refund?

ta

G

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  9. deniser

8,104 1,702
    I think when they say it doesn't fit and don't order the next size they really mean they don't like it.

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  10. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Is it just me that cringes when out shopping with the girlfriend/wife and she presents the cashier with a load of returns without any explanation as to why they were coming back? I don't wish to be sexist but this is one of the all time things which most men don't do and most women I know seem to do frequently! Most women my generation that is, I'm sure my mum or her mum didn't use to do this quite so often.

My girl takes back probably 2/3 of what she buys and I hate it.

From a your point of view I would say very clearly that any item returned without a copy of the invoice or returns note/number will not be processed and instead put to one side and if your not contacted within two weeks it will be binned or re-sold.

If I returned a pair of jeans by walking past the front of the shop and throwing them in do you think they would track me down and issue a refund?

Also you should cash in where possible to help offset the admin costs. For example after 7 days why not offer credit note only? That way you get another sale (or they lose it and forget about it).

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  11. wezza

wezza UKBF Newcomer Free Member

54 6
    Interesting topic and whilst reading had a question.

If you do not accept returns after a period of time say 2 months. What do you do if the customer just sends it in the post after your cutoff date?

Do you just post it back and say that they are too late?

I've had some emails from people wanting to a refund or exchange clothes, which is fine, but with some I'm still after waiting 2 weeks or so for the item to be returned! I've followed them all up to see if they have changed their minds!

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 By: wezza Member since: Sep 22, 2006
  12. Blush

Blush UKBF Newcomer Full Member

1,135 78
    I can totaly sympathise with you, we have noticed a very similar trend.
    We sepnt a considerable amount of time with one lady, in fatc she travelled to some distance to the shop to collect the dresses even, and still returned two of them.Surely she could have known when she collected themn which ones would fit?
    We have a cut off and I stick to it ruthlessly.One customer somethign a 6 weeks after she received it, she hadn't contacte dus prio tot his.I contatce dher to say we couldn't accept it and all we could offer was an exchange or credit note and she has never been back in touch.
    I think some customers think they can order like they do at next, order half a dozen and keep one!!.We don' tpay the ocst of posting returns either.
    As for information some customers do ignore the information on the site, especially on sizing etc.
    I had one dress returned minus the swing tags and it smelt nicely of lenor! Customre wasn't happy that we refused to refund, in the end I did a partial refund and used the dress as a display dress in the shop

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 By: Blush Member since: Mar 22, 2007
  13. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    If they haven't complied and then just send them back after the legal period of entitlement then they are unsolicited goods, so you dont have a responsibility to do anything, its up to them to collect the items at their own cost if they want them back. Hence the policy of issuing an RMA note and making it quite clear on there what the conditions and timescales are for return.

Its the only way to not end up being victimised by unscrupulous customers, and that way you lose the ones you didn't really want anyway.

Remember the old Pareto 80/20 rule of thumb, 20% of your customers cause 80% of the problems - its those 20% who take up an inordinant amount of time and yet account for the least level of spend generally, or certainly not spend which accounts for a good value in comparison to the time trying to reolves issues.

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  14. gibby

1,245 119
    A friend of mine hit that situation, she sent some items back to a firm 8 weeks after telling the firm she was going to return them.

The firm refused to refund her so she asked for the goods to be returned to her they agreed on condition she paid the delivery cost upfront.

She really is a complainer and despite realy moaning about it all the firm didnt budge - rightly so.
    She went to trading standards & her card company & was told both times it was clearly her problem.

I think we need to be this strict with customers on these matters as we wont be in business long if we dont.

We work very hard to give good service and keep prices keen, if customers get silly with returns it just puts up prices.
    Some customers will moan about it but the good ones will come back & the mcnuggets can shop elsewhere

G

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  15. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Quite agree!

Posted: Nov 9, 2008 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  16. groovyjon

groovyjon UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

596 65
    Another classic excuse when they return something outside the returns period is that it took 3 weeks to get to them in the post. If it is an unsigned delivery (smaller items just sent by first class) then there's no way of proving otherwise.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 By: groovyjon Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  17. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,357 1,582

Which is why you pay the extra 70p and make it signed for!!
    Then the "we never got it" arguments never occur.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  18. sysops

sysops UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,923 887

Yebbutt...

(this is one of my favourite subjects, can you tell?)

You send 100 parcels, 300g each

Scenario A. 1st Class Packet Post
    You pay £1.84 x 100 = £184.00

Scenario B. 1st Class Recorded
    You pay £2.54 x 100 = £254.00

How many of the 100 will even be later than 2 days, never mind go missing or have problems? Enough to warrant £70 extra? Depends very much on the value of your parcels.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  19. deniser

8,104 1,702
    Well that's the key to it. If my parcels were worth less than £20 I wouldn't bother with recorded.

My parcels are worth between £20 and £300 each so I always use recorded. My dilemma is with the next stage - whether to use special delivery or not but on balance and doing a similar sort of calculation I don't.

My main issue is making sure no-one can rip me off by claiming they haven't received it.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  20. gibby

1,245 119
    if we do use the post office we alwasy use signed for as they go missing far less than the others.
    The customers pay the postage anyway - in one form or another and it save all the hassle.

We do state that customers must send recorded items back signed for/recorded. If not & the items go missing they have to handle it with the post office.

G

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.