Return Due To Wrong Spec

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by n_s_simpson, Mar 18, 2019.

1. n_s_simpson

n_s_simpson UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 5
    Hi All

A business customer bought a printer from us. The member of our marketing team that added the item accidentally said it was A3 instead of A4. Customer bought and we delivered it to Northern Ireland. Customer called to report so I've arranged to collect and replace with an A3.

Out of interest, like many of our competitors' terms, our state that errors may exist so customers must check the spec for themselves prior to purchase. So does this mean that some of our competitors would refuse to collect/credit and would be perfectly entitled to do so? (Assuming business customer rather than Consumer.) I'm just interested to know.

Cheers

Nick

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 By: n_s_simpson Member since: Dec 7, 2012
  2. n_s_simpson

87 5
    I should mention that the customer opened it, installed the inks and set it up before realising it was half the size of his other A3 inkjets. (That's actually what he said.)

I'm just interested to know if people on here would then expect an online store to provide free collection and full refund?

I am pretty sure our main competitor would refuse a return and instead point the customer to their terms, which state they should have double-checked the specs prior to ordering. Especially since it's pretty much worthless now.

We all make mistakes but it's trying to highlight how much better we handle them compared to our competitors.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 By: n_s_simpson Member since: Dec 7, 2012
  3. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,862 668
    If someone ordered from the website and selected the wrong thing based on accurate info on the website then I would deem it their fault. However in this case the client did double check with the supplier (you). You gave the client the wrong information. I would 100% expect and refund.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  4. n_s_simpson

87 5
    Hi Dan

I would expect the same, which is why we organised it. It's one thing to get the colour slightly wrong (plus sometimes they do change) but stating A3 instead of A4 was a real doozy!

I just know that previously one of our competitors hid behind their terms under similar circumstances.

I would like to know at would point people would expect a full refund and credit. At any point even after it's been installed and used for a few weeks, when it's unpacked but the sealed inks haven't been loaded, before the box is opened, etc...

This is pure curiosity. I've checked 4 of our main competitor terms and they all say the customer has to double check spec prior to purchase. I'm wondering whether it's common for resellers to enforce this because otherwise why even have that term.

Cheers

Nick

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: n_s_simpson Member since: Dec 7, 2012
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,059 3,121
    Whether business or consumer sale, this would be mis-selling, wouldn't it? Expecting the customer to check the supplier has not made a mistake is taking the proverbial, I would suggest.

As to when a full refund should be given - it should be at the point the customer realises they have not got what they paid for, day of receipt or weeks down the line if it is a rarely used feature that doesn't exist.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. n_s_simpson

87 5
    Hi Cyndy

I agree. I'm just surprised by the way a handful of our competitors refuse to help customers and simply hide behind their terms. A few months back a customer bought an A4 printer advertised as being colour from somewhere else and it turned out to be mono. The store simply referred them to their terms and said they should have double checked. I think that's bad customer service but they got away with it. (Maybe the customer would have won by taking it further but they just bought a colour machine from us instead.) I've had this quite a few times.

Although they had been using it for a week before realising I've still agreed to a refund but I think it's rare to offer that level of service considering it has been used.

Out of interest, would you personally offer a refund regardless of how much time had passed? Say they had it for several months and were using it before realising it wasn't A3?

Regards

Nick

7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,059 3,121
    That's difficult. I would have thought that the first thing one would do would be to put paper in, and notice there is no A3 tray. But then some people are very unaware. I think it would come down to whether it was credible that they had not noticed the problem, as that is what a court would say - knowing an item was not what was paid for, but accepting it by using it would be a defence for the supplier

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  8. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

106 6
    By checking with your staff that the printer that they wanted was A3, they probably feel that they did check the spec sufficiently according to their requirements.

You could possibly refuse to allow it to be returned on the basis of the clause in your terms. But it would do more damage to your companies reputation than the cost of the printer is worth.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  9. n_s_simpson

87 5
    Cyndy, This was my thought but I just can't articulate as well as you :)

TheWebDesignCompany, he didn't speak to anyone. The "A3" typo was on our website.

When I told him to be aware than an A3 replacement would be much bigger (the dimensions we quoted were correct and he may have used them to make sure it wasn't too big prior to purchase) I found it bizarre that he told me I was being condescending because he had several other A3 inkjets yet he didn't realise the one we supplied was smaller. I was only trying to be helpful but he didn't see it that way.

Oh well. Onward and upwards.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,627 3,350
    Bingo!

The contract was the supply of an A3 printer. You sent an A4 printer. As Theresa May would say 'Simples!'

Given that the average ink-jet printer A3, A4, whatever is as cheap as chips and that you offered to supply an A3 printer, this issue seems to be a no-brainer!

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Chawton

Chawton UKBF Contributor Free Member

93 27
    'Byre Beware'

The straight-talking, B2B advice column.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: Chawton Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  12. n_s_simpson

87 5
    Aye well the customer's return has already been arranged and we're covering all costs. That's just how we roll.

I'm glad some of our competitors stick to their guns with their returns policy because it only help us stand out from the crowd.

13. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,774 846
    I have had replacements with no argument from both Viking and Jigsaw. In one case we only set up the printer 6 weeks after delivery, loaded the inks and found a spec problem. Instant replacement.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  14. n_s_simpson

87 5
    It's the right way to be. I know of a few stores that refuse to although maybe they would if legal action was threatened. We're unusual because we have a warehouse whereas many onliners don't so if distribution won't take it back then they struggle with a return.