Retirement and restructure

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by DarrenFox68, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenFox68

DarrenFox68 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    We have 20 staff with a reasonably flat structure. The CEO, three department managers and their staff. One of the managers is part time and due to retire.

This gives us the perfect opportunity to restructure and merge her role and one of the others managers into a new deputy CEO position.

Is it acceptable to promote the manager of the other merged department to the new role or would it be better practice to basically make his current role redundant (which is what we are effectively doing) and get him to apply. And is it better practice to advertise the new role externally.

He basically is doing that role already and it's really just managing a couple more staff.

He would be the only person this affects and the only internal candidate.

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 By: DarrenFox68 Member since: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

15,266 4,173
    Advertising externally would almost certainly antagonise your colleague. Why would you do that? Making him apply for a job that he is effectively already doind, and for which he is the onlty candidate is also pretty pointless.

There would only be an issue if there were 2 people within your organisation who could have a claim to the new role, then you would have to carry out a selection procedure between them. Or, if your current employee is not up to the new job. Then you would need to look externally.

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. DarrenFox68

5 0
    Thank you for your thoughts Cyndy.

Although the current employee wouldn't tick every box for the new role. I'm sure he will grow into the role.

4. DarrenFox68

5 0
    Actually, having given this some more thought, if we advertised the new role internally we may get interest from other people - not from the other manager but from people of a lower grade who may feel they are qualified for the role.

So, in theory I suppose my question is it better practise that we make that managers role redundant and advertise the new deputy CEO position internally (and/or externally) and see what happens - best person for the role. Or should we just move him into the role?

5. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    It's not clear what you are trying to achieve.
    Do you not want the manager to fill the position?

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. DarrenFox68

5 0
    I want to be fair but also have the best person in the job

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 By: DarrenFox68 Member since: Aug 1, 2015
  7. sjbeale

sjbeale UKBF Ace Full Member

1,215 212
    Well in that case then I would recommend you advertise internally and do a robust interview process. If you feel after interviewing there is no one in house to do the job advertise externally. If you just choose who to appoint you may be faced with some office politics related to a perception of unfairness.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 By: sjbeale Member since: Jul 8, 2005
  8. DarrenFox68

5 0
    Thanks, that helps :)

I will inform of the reatructure and onform that the two existing manager positions will become redundant and a new post will be advertised internally.

All staff can apply, including the current manager and his staff. If he is unsuccessful he will leave. If someone else is successful we can advertise their old roles.

If no one is successful we can open it up to external candidates.

You've been a big help, thanks
    :)

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 By: DarrenFox68 Member since: Aug 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.