Retailer legal rights for slow couriers

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE), Aug 10, 2019.

1. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

192 17
    Occasionally the poor couriers take 3 weeks to deliver something. Understandably, some customers start getting frustrated after a week of no update on the tracking website etc. After about 2 weeks, some customers start getting arsey with me and demand a refund. It would appear I have no right to demand the same kind of refund from the courier. I have to wait until it is declared lost, returned or delivered. Am I in my rights to insist the customer waits until the courier has finished its job? How long are they allowed to take?

Also, am I correct that a consumer is not allowed to initiate a return by refusing to take the parcel? They have to receive it and then send it back. I know it happens but once on ebay they sided with me when it happened and did not refund the customer

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    What does your contract with the courier company say about delivery time?
    3 weeks and realistically I'd be looking for a much better courier. More than 3 days I'd be asking where an item is, never mind a week.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

192 17
    Its a funny t&c, you make a claim whenever and the 3 week timer starts there. The weird thing is the terms don't say when you can make a claim. So really I could do with knowing a bit about the law.
    I cant dump them, Mondial is the most popular service in France. About half the price of the post office on many items, they stole the lead on delivering and collecting at shops etc and ebay use them as a preferred supplier.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  4. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,030 1,505
    Even MyHerpes is better than that

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,593 8,983
    I’d put money on there being a clause in the contract about delivery that only covers non delivery not how long it takes.

A customer can refuse delivery. I get emails from couriers that tells me when something is coming and to refuse delivery if damaged or items are missing.

Again, it’s all in the contract.

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    So why can you not dump them? Are there no decent couriers in France?
    Just because they are popular with other people does not make them a good courier if they are causing you problems.
    Using UPS I can get a parcel delivered pretty much worldwide in less than a week. In France from UK in 3 days.
    In the UK I'd be horrified if a parcel took even 5 days using a courier.

What do Mondial do? Send the parcels to Kenya to be sorted?

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,303 3,187
    What do your terms and conditions with YOUR customers say about delivery. If you are in breach your customers are absolutely right to demand a refund!

Incidentally, if you are in France, why are you asking on a UK forum. the law may be different in France.

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  8. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

935 244
    As with most things in life it comes down to cost. There are plenty of quality companies delivering around France, but I expect they cost a lot more.

I wouldn’t wait more than a week before getting annoyed personally, ideally I would want 2/3 days from time of despatch. I think most people these days expect the same.

I used to run an import service from anywhere in France up to 7pm collection delivered Coventry by midnight twenty five years ago for one client, but they paid very well.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017