Responsive Ecommerce software

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Sobie, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sobie

Sobie UKBF Regular Free Member

331 50
    Hi All,

I'm looking to update my website. I currently use Serif Webplus x4 which is functional but not responsive. More of my customers are using mobile devices and some aspects of the site do not work with mobiles, such as the shopping cart (Mals Ecommerce - although I am using the V2 mobile friendly cart).

I've been looking at Webplus x8 and Xara 365 Pro. Xara looks the best in terms of responsive templates, but doesn't seem to be suitable for ecommerce. Webplus x8 isn't fully responsive, and serif have no plans to bring out new software.

I've looked at open source carts, but my current host isn't VPS (doesn't have a CPanel / php) so I cannot see how to upload the cart.

Ewcid looks great on Xara but I have over 200 low ticket items and can't really justify a monthly spend, a one off fee would be better.

Is there any software out their that will meet my demands?

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: Sobie Member since: Jul 27, 2008
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,548 369
    HI

I think you are getting your terms a little mixed up

VPS stands for Virtual Private Server and isn't related to whether you have cPanel or PHP.

The type of hosting you would need is called shared hosting

All good hosts will offer cPanel or a similar hosting control panel and will have one click installers so I would suggest that you look for an alternative host (avoid the likes of 123-reg etc)

Don't use Serif or similar if you are serious about your business, they generate appalling unoptimised code, they're hard to maintain and if your business grows, almost impossible to expand.

Change hosts and then look at a proper Open Source solution such as OpenCart or WooCommerce (Wordpress).

Let me know if you need any more help

Mark

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,749 644
    Agreed. The above are great and Prestashop is also good.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  4. Sobie

Sobie UKBF Regular Free Member

331 50
    thank you for the replies.

I have now found the SLQ database bit on my host, i think I am trying to learn too much at once and getting very confused.

OpenCart does look good, and plenty of training videos on you tube.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: Sobie Member since: Jul 27, 2008
  5. FranSAP

FranSAP UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Hi Sobie,

We run responsive websites on SAP Anywhere that automatically scale your website images to the appropriate device your customers are using. Feel free to message me for more info.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: FranSAP Member since: Jun 22, 2016
  6. Leandros21

Leandros21 UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 6
    There's no reason to migrate your current outdated/non functional CMS to something else but to completely build from scratch a new site using a fully functional CMS that will look like exactly your current site or any change you prefer. There are plenty of fine CMS like wordpress, joomla, drupal etc..

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: Leandros21 Member since: Jun 18, 2016
  7. David Kazil

David Kazil UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I just think a bout Prestashop and Wordpress because both of them are free to use. Moreover, the features of those two are also excellent. I think you should try one of them!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 By: David Kazil Member since: Apr 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.