Reliable Business broadband?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Matthew McCabe, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Matthew McCabe

Matthew McCabe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Hi,

I operate from my own home so this is just small scale but I'm looking for a company that provides fibre and is totally reliable and quick to answer the phone and resolve problems.

I've been leaning towards XLN but the Google reviews are putting me off.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: Matthew McCabe Member since: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,659 2,012
    Virgin media are pretty good for working from home.
    Longest problem we've had in past couple of years was about 12 hours and that was due to kids busting open some box and pulling out a load of wires. Other times have been a couple of hours or so to get resolved.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Matthew McCabe

Matthew McCabe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    That's actually who I'm with... The speed is constantly going down to just a few meg and they've yet to resolve it despite multiple calls and an engineer visit.

I'm inclined to stay with them if they can sort it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: Matthew McCabe Member since: Jun 3, 2018
  4. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,910 2,632
    IMHO there is only one Rolls Royce ADSL/Fibre broadband supplier.

Andrews and Arnold.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  5. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

478 92
    Virgin are not particularly reliable. They put in a temporary line, disconnected it when they wired the neighbours and estimated 5 days to send someone round to fix. Luckily I saw the guy who had disconnected walking off and spoke to him and he reconnected immediately - otherwise it would have been five days.

I am happy with Zen and they get good reviews, and A & A which @KM-Tiger recommends is pretty good too. Zen give you a Fritzbox which much better than BT or Virgin home hubs.

I work from home so I do not know if Virgin may be better for a connection to business premises if they have a business tariff of some sort. I doubt it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  6. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,910 2,632
    Virgin can supply a 'business' connection even to domestic premises. That's what I have here at home as well as ADSL, and a home brewed aggregator/firewall/router.

The difference is:

You get a different number to call for support. I've never had to so cannot comment.
    You get a fixed IP address.
    You can do some grown up things like set rDNS on your fixed IP.

The Virgin modem/router reboots itself with annoying regularity but other than that it seems reliable.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  7. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,591 614
    Are you looking for Fibre to the Cabinet or Fibre to the Premises?

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  8. Ilfracombe

Ilfracombe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 3
    There is no such as most reliable broadband, because the quality of services can differ from area to area, but what counts is the quality of after sales services to fix the problems when you hit any. We have been using Plusnet for almost 15 years in our business, moved 3 times, still same high quality, and support is excellent, then my home Plusnet went from bad to worst and nothing can be done due to poor line quality, it is now on Virgin fibre and been perfect for almost 2 years.
    Over the years I have dealt with TalkTalk, BT etc. when they work, its great, when they break, its hard work going round in circles getting them to fix it if the issue is complicated.
    If I must pick a Fibre supplier, Plusnet would still be my first choice, Virgin is also great except for higher costs.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Ilfracombe Member since: Nov 19, 2019
  9. A.Friend

A.Friend UKBF Newcomer Free Member

27 10
    Imo... Adsl has been old for too long, sdsl they keep the prices far too high... Your own servers would cost too much for little business...

Go with a not so big company, they need the business, they have access to the software their end to tweak yours..

I once knew a guy who was fed up with slow data, so he joined bt as a businesss, and his only customers was himself & his family or couple friends, he buys it super cheap, phone calls too, adds a bit on for any outlay, and he has the software to just tweak and see anything that is wrong, if your end is slow, he just clicks a button and speeds it up, or if you p!ss him off he can p!ss your connection just as easy, its a simple menu, with various speeds and you set it for what your customer is paying for, he just sets everyone to max no matter what. He only had about 10 customers and was able to do it. So it was always fast.

They all can do it, BT, virgin etc all of them have their finger on your button... Line quality matters over old phone lines, or in a country side location for everyone

But so does contemtion....

I dont know the rates now, but years ago it used to be about 50/1 for BT, SKY etc and Virgin was 200+

Basically how many people share your load.

If all your neighbours was asleep you get max

But this is over 5+ years ago, i dont know the current data sets, or contention, i dont use fibre, i get free unlimited everywhere i go, so i no longer research this stuff

But if its possible to be a low end reseller, you have the control, and if something is out of your control, BT or whoever will respond to you faster as a reseller, vs a big business, small business or end to home user...

You are an ISP, You come first.

So if they did it then, i dont see why others cant do it now.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:53 PM By: A.Friend Member since: Oct 20, 2019
  10. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Free Member

192 64
    I have a similar problem- crappy line, miles from the exchange. You have to be realistic if this is the case. The best workaround for me was to go with cheapest provider for phone/broadband/fixed IP for security camera and have a seperate 4G modem with decent aerial for main broadband supply.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:35 AM By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  11. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Regular Full Member

196 24
    In my office I have BT broadband and Zen broadband both fibre. I might also have Eclipse, but I may have cancelled that. At home I have plus net. They all seem OK. I have two systems in my office to provide redundancy. I run servers from my office. I can simply switch the routing to Zen from BT if needs be. I had some problems with BT about 10 years ago, but it has generally been ok for some time.

I am not a fan of being reliant on a single system. I have a simple USP powering the network and a 1kW diesel generator to back up when the power is taken down (which has happened once on a scheduled bassi).

Generally power cuts last under 5 mins.

At one stage I was thinking of putting my service out to hosting, but things have been so reliable from my office that I am inclined to stick with this. Because a lot of my services are free it is important to control costs very tightly.

I do think it is important to have two routes into the office network so that if one goes down you can find out what is going on. (hence currently BT and Zen)

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  12. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,727 1,163
    For many years I was with EE. Their customer service was exceptional

unfortunately I was forced to move to BT (since they refuse to release fibre in this area to anyone else - even their own subsidiary)

it’s been an unmitigated disaster. Their delivery, customers service and processes are bad beyond belief.

One thing they do do, is appease and compensate so I’ve ended up with ultra fast free for about 6 months

I’ll still go back to EE as soon as my contract allows

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 10:56 AM By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015