Registering a Similar Company Name

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Lucy Morris, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Lucy Morris

Lucy Morris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I'm in the process of setting up a small animal care/dog walking business. There is a company which already exists which is called "Pet Pals". I am trying to register my business with the name "Lucy's Pet Pals". The existing company is a dog walking/animal care business and has been operating for over 15 years at this point. I am thinking about starting as a sole trader, but could i have any problems with this?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Lucy Morris Member since: Mar 5, 2018
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,860 1,499
    Yes they could accuse you of 'passing off' and take legal action to force you not to use the name.

Choose another name.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Lucy Morris

Lucy Morris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the Reply, i thought this was the case i just wanted to double check.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Lucy Morris Member since: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,839 443
    No problem with starting as a sole trader and using a business name, but not the one you are proposing for reasons stated above.

As a sole trader there is no problem with having a business name as long as you put your own name and address in all business correspondence (invoices etc.).

BTW you do not register a business if you are a sole trader. You have to tell HMRC the name of your business when you file tax returns, but that is not registering the business or its name. Some sole traders trademark their business name if the name comprises made up words (i.e. words which are not names of people or places or not words in the dictionary).

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011