General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Recording phone calls

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Simon.P, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Simon.P

Simon.P UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

543 59
    hi
    Does anyone know what i need to do (if anything) for recording phone calls?
    I'm a sparky and sometimes i have to call clients to tell then X Y or Z has happened or what would you like me to do about this etc. So it's things outside the estimate they have already agreed to.
    Thanks

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 By: Simon.P Member since: Dec 4, 2009
  2. PugwashEQ

PugwashEQ UKBF Contributor Full Member

34 11
    Hi Simon,

Have you consdiered the regulation in this area? It sounds silly for a small business owner, but it is regulated.

What are you wanting to do with the calls?

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 By: PugwashEQ Member since: Sep 8, 2020
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,344 4,322
    A confirming email is legally and psychologically better.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Alison Moore

Alison Moore UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

625 118
    You've got pre-warn people that you're recording the call, and if I got a message from a small company confirming that they were recording the call I'd be a bit suspicious. The system we use has the ability to add comments to an order or job, the notes are read only so once they're submitted they can't be changed. We'd do that with all our jobs. Then if there was any dispute we could recall that we'd spoken to 'Mr A at such and such a time confirming that xyz was happening and that they'd given their approval'. We could then give them a copy of these notes too if they required them. It's not as ideal as an email, but not all consumer customers like using email.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  5. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Ace Free Member

1,018 283
  6. Stas Lawicki

Stas Lawicki UKBF Regular Free Member

355 145
    I am the first to say ppl send too many emails these days but where important instructions or details are discussed on the phone, drop them a concise line afterwards.

Keep it factual.

On the sales front, a follow up email with salient points is mostly a good thing.

Recording calls seems over the top and unnecessary.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  7. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,339 430
    Having worked in commercial construction previously, what you need to be doing is sending emails to confirm what has been said as soon as you end the call. If the recipient wants to challenge your version then an email gives them an immediate opportunity to do this and one that cannot be argued about at a later date.

Dear Jim, further to our telephone conversation this morning (time, date) I can confirm the price for additional works will be x and, as promised, ete, etc.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

990 256
    I agree with the consensus here - Have the discussion, then send an email outlining the discussion - but make sure you get a response that confirms the email has been read.

Its far too easy to say that an email didnt arrive, and you don't have any decent proof that it did. Be wary of simply resorting to Read receipts as well - better to instruct them to respond by reply.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013