Recommended Landline phone and headset

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Tin, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,942 1,647
    Hi,

Most of the phone calls I get are from clients and I need to be 'hands-free' on these calls because I have to roam around pages of client websites. In the past I have used to great effect a Panasonic landline phone and a Plantronics wireless headset which had been perfect for the last 10yrs. Both have been great.

The phone handset packed up a while ago so I bought a new Gigaset handset and a new Plantronics compatible wireless headset and mike but have no end of connection problems.

After 6 months of problems I am now looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a reliable wireless headset and landline phone system that actually works without problems.

Thanks for any input.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  2. PipeTen-Carl

PipeTen-Carl UKBF Regular Full Member

489 108
    Both gigaset and plantronics are reasonable device manufacturers and build quality, so odd you should be having issues. Can you explain the connection problems a little more and define which gigaset and which plantronics device? It should help determine which part of the bluetooth is the poorest.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 By: PipeTen-Carl Member since: Mar 6, 2010
  3. Tin

5,942 1,647
    Hi, thanks for your response and apologies for being tardy with this reply.

I have the Gigaset SL450H and a Plantronics C565 headset. The two are connected via DECT and not Bluetooth (the Plantronics C565 is not Bluetooth) .

I have a couple of random issues regularly happening and after spending hours going through the poorly written manual and Googling the problems, no further forward.with the headset and phone behaving well at other times.

On some occasions, when answering an incoming call straight to the headset I (and the person calling) just hears a loud static noise that never happens if I answer the call with the phone handset. If this happens, it keeps happening even when the caller makes multiple calls, so I abandon the headset and just answer the call with the handset. The next call can often be successfully answered with the headset. There is no determined pattern, it's all random.

On other occasions the headset will just simply cut the call off with no audible warning which it is supposed to give for both a flat battery or if it was out of range. The headset is always fully charged when these problems happen..

I yesterday, ordered a Sennheiser DW Office Mono headset to try with the Gigaset, with the idea of solving the problem with the process of elimination but this has been a chain of events with no success.

Ironically, a basic Panasonic phone I bought 11 years ago paired with an earlier Plantronics headset and worked perfectly until the phone packed up a year ago. Daft as it sounds, I just expected to have no problems with todays more modern phones and headsets but I'm a year into this and no working solution yet.

I'm just after a reliable phone/headset combination that works as expected when I take an incoming call on the headset, I expect it to not generate noise, and if I dial a number on the phone and then send the call to the headset I don't expect to have the call answered and then some stupid music being played down the line to the recipient for 10 seconds until the headset decides to pair up.

I wouldn't be so annoyed but it's not cheap rubbish that I'm buying each time.

Apologies for the late reply again.

Ray

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  4. PipeTen-Carl

PipeTen-Carl UKBF Regular Full Member

489 108
    Thanks for the detailed reply, sadly I don't have many ideas surrounding DECT. I've heard of problems in places of high density (DECT is comparatively long distance to Bt so higher chance if being swamped in said circumstance) or when DECT base in very close proximity to WIFI router/AP (they are in close spectrum 1.9/2.4G). Bt has its own set of problems and annoyances / DECT has its place though so ... yeah dunno.

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 By: PipeTen-Carl Member since: Mar 6, 2010
  5. Tin

5,942 1,647
    The old phone was also Dect, it's base was next to the router and I had zero problems so I think that the new phone is unlikely to be affected by the router. I dunno either but cheers for your input.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  6. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 271
    Hi Tin,

Why not get another Panasonic? Their KK TG Dect phones are well rated, and plenty of places sell them.

Personally I find Panasonic a great brand, and they produce great products (baring their Vitel rebranded TVs, and previously high rated microwaves that are now cheaply produced in China).
    They make great shavers and drills!

Can you return the Gigaset? I'd perhaps try that rather than trying to buy more devices in the hope that they'll play nice.

Best of luck,

Dan

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  7. Tin

5,942 1,647
    Hi Dan

When the old Panasonic phone went pop I bought a Gigaset because of the additional functions it offered. Most of the Panasonic range don't do what the Gigaset phones do but finding a compatible headset if massively time consuming. I've just ordered another phone to see if I can make any sense out of this.

Cheers anyway

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.