Rebate on power outage?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Noah, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,161 290
    Thought this might be worth a shot; electric power was out, day's work abandoned, staff short day and overtime hours at weekend to catch up.

Cause was underground cable blew up (probably cable degradation leading to heat & *poof*).

How likely are we to win a claim for costs?

Yes, I'll read the supply contract when I can dig it out - no lights, see?

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  2. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

1,886 419
    Kind of...

Guaranteed Standards payment
    Supply restoration: Single interruptions
    If you are cut off for 12 hours or more in ‘normal weather’, you can claim:

• £75 as a domestic customer.
    • £150 as a non-domestic customer.
    A further £35 will be paid for each additional period of 12 hours in which supply is not restored up to a cap of £300 in total.

If more than 5,000 homes are affected by a single fault, local network companies have 24 hours to restore supplies.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/...p-and-compensation-under-guaranteed-standards

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  3. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    In general your ability to claim compensation will depend on how long your power was out and if the power cut was planned.

In your case, due to the failure of a cable, it is safe to say the power outage was not planned. You will need to contact your local electricity suppliers within 3 months of your supply being re-established to register your claim of rebate. Generally your local supplier will credit your provider who will in turn credit your account. In some instances, your local supplier can pay you directly, should they confirm your details.

I hope this helps.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  4. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,161 290
    That's hysterical; £150 for a day's lost work? I don't get out of bed for less than £5k.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  5. ImranR

ImranR UKBF Contributor Free Member

36 4
    Your insurance may cover you for loss of profit following the failure of your utility supplies. Usually there is a 12 hour clause or similar where power has to be off for more than a certain time period.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: ImranR Member since: Nov 8, 2018