Rant about BT broadband and parental control

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Donna77, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 11
    I'm switching from BT due to the world's most annoying pop up they are currently running. It's a full page pop up which can't be closed asking if I want to install their Parental Guidance software. I don't have kids, never had parental control switched on, so unless they are sending me some I don't need it. The pop up opens on every type of page - trade show websites, contact us of businesses, shops..everything. When you click 'no' it takes you to their website but never seems to accept your answer. An hour long call with their Indian staff reaped no joy.
    Their forum has been inundated with complaints about this since November and it started for me yesterday. No one on the forum found a solution and their moderators have no answers.

Anyway, who would you suggest switching to? Virgin or Sky? I've been with BT forever, so have no experience of the others. I need to make a quick decision so your recommendations are appreciated!

Posted: Jan 6, 2015 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,406
    Posted: Jan 6, 2015 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Donna77

69 11
    Yes, two days ago I was you.
    Never had a problem like this with my service.
    Thanks, but your link only describes how to tweak and temporarily overide parental controls once installed. I don't want or need it all. People with this pop up problem have tried accepting it and later cancelling the service but the pop up came back after a couple of days.
    After some interrogation the call centre worker admitted that it's a known server problem that's been an issue for a while.
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/BT-Parental-Controls-Popup/td-p/1400685

Posted: Jan 6, 2015 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  4. TPTele

TPTele UKBF Regular Full Member

124 14
    Hi,
    If you are looking to move away from BT you should consider what you want to use the broadband for: Web browsing, Email, Cloud Systems (CRM, Backup...), VoIP calls, etc.; as well as how many people will be using the connection.
    Sky are a residential focused supplier which might not be ideal for you. Virgin cable should give you fast speeds but double check that they are offering you cable and not ADSL2+.

Kind regards,
    Stuart.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
    Posted: Jan 7, 2015 By: TPTele Member since: Sep 14, 2011
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,922 9,762
    Posted: Jan 7, 2015 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Donna77

69 11
    Thanks for the advice Stuart.

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  7. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,201 262
    I would be interested to know how they are doing this, are you using their DNS servers which are forcing you through some sort of local cache/framed window or are they injecting content into your connection? Seems like a security nightmare. Have you tried changing DNS server to something like google or opendns?

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.