Racism in TV and film.

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Andrew Chambers, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Trouble is John, it's difficult for some people to have a debate when they consider anything said about coloured people is racist.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  2. swankypants69

swankypants69 UKBF Regular Free Member

543 113
    Troll

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: swankypants69 Member since: May 4, 2012
  3. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Says the person who continually calls me a racist!

Not a troll at all. Just a few people on here who seem unable to have the discussion without thinking it's racist.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. swankypants69

543 113
    Haven't continually called you a racist

The terms that you use are widely acknowledged to be unacceptable, Google them. Yet you continue to use such language, which I can only assume is to get a reaction

5. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    I use the term coloured as it's widely used as is Black. Until someone comes up with a alternative I see no other option. It's not racist, it's descriptive.

Again, please tell me what word I should be using to replace "coloured" in my op. "Ethnic minorities" doesn't work as the complaints against Midsommer were about the lack of coloured actors.

6. swankypants69

543 113
    I don't think the term "coloured" is widely used anymore

7. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,522 1,663
    It isn't, only by closet racists.

Andrew has been had up before for it on here, it's purely attention seeking and provocative.

Otherwise known as trolling.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. swankypants69

543 113
    Sad that this type of thread exists and is tolerated on this forum

I'm unfollowing so won't be commenting any further!

9. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  10. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Perfect, you totally ignore the whole subject of the thread to peruse your own agenda and call people racist for simply using the term "coloured", yet, amazingly, you like two others on this thread can't come up with a alternative!!!

So yes, I see your easy out is to label me a racist troll and think you have the moral high ground.

And the other thread you refer to had nothing to do with race, at all.

11. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Well I think it is!

12. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

4,098 859
    Look, let's all drop the ridiculous accusations of trolling.

Nobody is calling you a racist. You might feel that we are because we keep pointing out that the language and phrasing you are using - and not just the term "coloured" - is commonly employed by racists. We are simply trying to help you guide your complaint to become a complaint that has value and is constructive.

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  13. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,326 1,116
    Context is everything. My mum is in her eighties and she talks about golliwogs, certain shades of brown fabric and always refers to some races as coloured. Nowadays, much of what she says make me cringe, but she's far from being a racist, she's just got a different vocabulary, typical of people her age. No offence is intended and rarely taken. She doesn't know that nowadays some words are out of fashion, and to the ignorant, offensive. Let's be honest - if I describe another white guy as a '****' - a somewhat double edged word, it's perhaps just an unpleasant thing to say, if I use the term to a black guy, somehow, it appears worse, because there's an implication the reason is because he is black, not because he just scratched my car!

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  14. Cobby

4,098 859
    I didn't want to because this isn't really the place for in-depth educational discussion of these matters. But you know what, if you want to try clambering up on some kind of high horse about it, let's bore everyone to tears!

Which minority? What evidence do you have for this belief? Who are "most" people? What's the evidence that "most people" find it offensive? What value are you assigning to "most people" in terms of ethnic culture that they outweigh the minority's right to use the term?

Who are "many"? What arguments or - perhaps - sociology papers are you referring to? What is their authority on how ethnic minorities should be treating historically subjugative terms of exclusion and oppression? How relevant is that authority and is it an authority we should even respect?

It's a given? Please refer back to the first point and provide evidence. You've made a presumption about the use of the term (its frequency and spread both geographically and culturally among minorities) based on what appears to be nothing more than subjective opinion. This isn't a valid argument against anything I said.

You are very welcome to this opinion and I agree to a certain extent. However, the crux of the matter here is, and really pay attention to this bit because there's really not much more needed against your position -- it's not your word.

This is the the most common argument on this topic and has merit in only two situations - if we lived in a perfect world, OR, if you disregard the entire history of the word itself. If we lived in a perfect world the word wouldn't exist, and, well, as for the second part, if you still want to make this argument then I can't stop you.

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  15. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,057 1,357
    Golliwog! :D - I'm sure I've posted this before but... anyway...

My Mam has fostered over 500 kids in some 50 years of fostering, she's retired now, but I'll never forget the day she told social services to "F*** off" when they paid a visit to her house. There, sat on the couch was golliwog that she had brought home from the charity shop she helped out in as my brother had picked it up and asked her to bring it home as he had one when he was a kid and wanted it for his daughter... When the woman cried out to her about how racist it was my Mam took her to the wall of photo's she had of the kids, pointed out to my niece and said,

"That's my Granddaughter , then pointed to my brother and said That's my son - NOW tell me I can't have that toy in my house!"

My brother is black affro-Caribbean mixed race as is my niece :D :D :D

Funny is not the word! :D

The amount of times we had the argument about how us snowballs and the piece of coal were left out at Xmas was amazing :D :D :D

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  16. Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

540 75
    LMAO HW

....Andrew, for what it's worth I don't think you or Midsomer Murders is racist. You have asked several times now for your original post to be re-written with a suitable, (considered non racist) replacement for coloured and so far as I can see,no one has come up with anything sensible and some people just keep resorting to direct insults.

I think those people should be sent to the naughty step :)

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: Twinkle Toes Member since: Feb 21, 2015
  17. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Thank you. I think those that totally ignore the subject of the OP, and the context in which the word "coloured" is used, are just here to troll a thread and/or satisfy their own "holier than thou"/"be offended" agendas.

I did think there might be some intelligent debate on racism in TV/Film and if it's perceived or real. But as usual you can't discuss it without be shouted down by a few. Thank you to those who did try :)

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  18. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    You'll never have an intelligent debate about a subject like on UKBF. There's too many peope that want to ram their opinion down your throat without engaging in a civilised discussion.
    The seem people seem to suffer from politician syndrome; they always tend to use big words, and lots of them, without saying very much.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  19. Cobby

4,098 859
    I really like this post because in it you say it's a shame you can't have an intelligent debate on here, but the post itself is about dodging the intelligent debate you said you wanted.

:)

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  20. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Thousands of years of indoctrination are not going to be overturned by laws.

"Ism's" are well and thriving throughout the world,its human nature that needs changing,something that does not appear to have changed since the first fish got dry.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.