Racism in TV and film.

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Andrew Chambers, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    And yet you the use term "white" for everyone else that isn't "coloured". How does that work then?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  2. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,037 1,507
    Let me help you understand;

The 'alternative' you seem to so badly require is 'people'

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  3. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Thank you. So now going back to the op, it now needs rewriting along the lines off "30% of the actors in Midsommer have been replaced with people after complaints there weren't enough people in it.". Thanks Simon, I see how that makes more sense.

4. swankypants69

swankypants69 UKBF Regular Free Member

491 103
    If you care to read my posts with a little more care, I have tried specifically not to discuss colour and have used "white" in inverted commas

Like I say, take a little more care when reading my posts and think a little

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: swankypants69 Member since: May 4, 2012
  5. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    No, you've been very careful to avoid answering the question off what term(s) should be used. Still waiting.....

6. LesGraham

LesGraham UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 21
    That's just highetism and deeply offensive to the vertically challenged. :D

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: LesGraham Member since: Dec 18, 2015
  7. Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

540 75
    I agree Mr Graham, what if they could jump really high or they had no legs except those prosthetic really boingy ones o_O

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: Twinkle Toes Member since: Feb 21, 2015
  8. Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

540 75
    Are there any Zionists in Midsommer Murders :/

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: Twinkle Toes Member since: Feb 21, 2015
  9. LesGraham

LesGraham UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 21

Be bloody careful if you get off with someone with boingy false legs cos you might end up getting shot when you go to the bathroom. :D

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: LesGraham Member since: Dec 18, 2015
  10. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

3,987 842
    Complaint about too many "coloureds".
    Reference to 'them' swinging in trees.
    "It's getting worse."

I'm not implying anything, but you're really not helping your case.

WHY DO YOU FEEL SUCH AN URGE TO DO SO!?

Now read that back and you can see how absurd your original comment actually is!

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Cobby

3,987 842
    It could easily be argued that your lack of understanding of how and why the word was, for want of a better term, 'culturally reclaimed', indicates a lack of education or understanding of the history of the topic.

12. swankypants69

491 103
    I ignored the swinging in trees reference because I just assumed it couldn't possibly be what I thought it was referring to

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: swankypants69 Member since: May 4, 2012
  13. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    It's a minority that believe reclaiming the word is a good thing and most people still see the word as offensive.

Many argue that a word with such a long and complex history would be better being irradicated than trying to be reclaimed.

Given that the word is still seen as offensive by most people, regardless of race, must tell that it's 'reclamation' isn't widespread as you make out.

If a word can be highly offensive if said why one particular person, I don't think it is a word that should be spoken at all.

If the word is to be reclaimed as a word of greeting or endearment, then perhaps it should now be taken in that context no matter who says it?

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  14. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Automatically you presumed it was a racist remark, just like Cobby did. It just shows how you both see racism where there is absolutely none. And you think I have a problem!! Maybe you should stop looking for offence.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  15. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Because, despite what you think, this is bloody ridiculous!!
    So Cobby, perhaps you can come up with a word you feel is acceptable. Or perhaps you can tell me why you consider the word "coloured" racist.

By the way, it's well documented that Midsommer was forced to include more coloured actors after people complained it was "racist" by having mainly white actors. I was merely commenting on how false the program now looks, and compared it to Death in Paradise which is the total reverse yet no one suggests that program is racist. Cobby, perhaps you could actually comment on that, I would genuinely be interested in your thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  16. swankypants69

491 103
    No Andrew, again, if you read what I said, I thought surely no it's not possible that you could make such an openly racist statement, so I assumed it referred to something else that I was missing

But if you are referring to "coloured" people and then in the same post refer to people swinging through the trees then people will draw conclusions, and they may be incorrect

17. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    You thought it was racist then decided it probably wasn't. Agreed. So why would it even cross your mind it was racist? It didn't even occur to me, I was just talking about a scene from the programme, along with the bedroom scene.

Just because you think something is racist doesn't mean it is.

18. swankypants69

491 103
    I made my mind up that it couldn't have been so openly racist

Like I say, in the context of the thread it is open to misinterpretation

19. Cobby

3,987 842
    As I've said previously, sometimes things get said and, out of context, could be ambiguous. Most people let that go. When it happens a couple of times, people still see it as coincidence. When it happens in most of a person's posts, over and over, it's very hard to dismiss as coincidence, especially when the theme of the posts is, very specifically, complaining about too many ethnic minorities on their favourite television programme.

There's a saying about ducks that explains why some might reach a certain conclusion about your post but I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt no matter how difficult you're making it.

So you don't really understand it then.

At all.

20. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    I understand it well, and at least I'm willing to engage in debate and discussion without being arrogant and dismissive.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.