Racism in TV and film.

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Andrew Chambers, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owas

owas UKBF Ace Free Member

1,404 255
    Personally I don't think its racism. I don't think people are chosen or lack of being chosen is due to the colour of their skin. Movies today are sold on the actor or actress that brings in the audience, and anyway racism is where a person is prejudiced against a person due to their belief, not colour of skin. These "actors" that are complaining should remember that across generations people have suffered terribly due to beliefs and skin colour of all, and a lot worse than not getting nominated for an award. In the past the content of some film and TV would cause an outrage if shown now, but like this awesome message that shows at the start of my kids tom and jerry DVD the people that make this stuff do accept it was wrong and surely this is an example of "racism" being left behind in the past.

[​IMG]

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 By: owas Member since: Jan 3, 2010
  2. LesGraham

LesGraham UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 21
    "Racism" is literally a prayer book for the politically correct numpties, they like to think they are morally correct and holier than thou. Tards the lot of em. :)

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 By: LesGraham Member since: Dec 18, 2015
  3. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,909 1,318
    Racism only exists if people let it offend them... Majority of the Asian community that I use to hang out with years ago as a kid would be deemed as the most racist gits you'll ever meet - yet we as kids use to call each other some seriously racist names, yet in jest and spirit... Me and my brother - chalk and cheese, he's as black as the ace of spades people use to be so shocked by the way we talk to each other... who gives a shiete? the PC brigade that's who.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

4,048 848
    Racism is still very much defined by the prejudice against a person due to the colour of their skin. Let's not try to redefine the definition to lessen the crime, as it were; if you want to get into a discussion about 'race' being a social construct, well, maybe that's for another thread.

You also say that those "actors" (why the sarcastic quote marks?) should remember the suffering of others before them. I don't doubt that, with the continued existence of racism, it's ever far from their minds, and if they were to let the 'light' racism slip then it devalues the efforts and the sacrifices of those that went before them. "It could've been worse for them" is not really a very good answer..

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  5. Cobby

4,048 848
    Racism is a lot more than just someone throwing racial insults at someone else. :(

"politically correctness gone mad" is to racism what "banter" is to feminism.

It's amazing the terms people need to defend their poor behaviour.

6. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,909 1,318
    I agree, it is... a hell of a lot more - unfortunately though majority of the issues start from the name calling, then the big girlies out there puff out their chests and shout "MAN! I AM MAN!!" whilst beating it - they then drop the bomb... like a complete twunt the schoolyard name calling suddenly becomes a war...

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  7. pee

pee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 1
    Racism is everywhere it's just done and expressed in a different way then it used to.

No ones gonna call you a paki or ****** these days because its seen as wrong,
    Racists will just avoid you so there is no interaction, this in turn doesn't give you the same opportunities, meaning you have to work harder at every stage of your life if you want to be successful.

TV, you just have to look at presenters and news reader/ reporters to see racism doesn't exist,
    or does it and some are there for show?

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: pee Member since: Aug 22, 2014
  8. Cobby

4,048 848
    Some minority presenters, actors, etc. are present because of quotas. What does it tell you about the existence of racism in that industry that quotas even exist or are needed?

Racism is, for the sake of discussion, a taught behaviour. When you say it starts with name-calling, then you are probably right in that it's the first behaviour that presents itself. However name calling is simply the most noticeable symptom of a problem that is much more widely spread and in some cases never even strays into the territory of confrontation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    So the people casting are racist because they don't cast enough of certain races. But at the same time they are still racist because they cast certain race actors and actresses to meet quotas?

Drivel.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  10. Cobby

4,048 848
    Before I water this down, why don't you elaborate on why you think that's "drivel", as either you're getting the wrong end of the stick with what I said, or I am with your response, because it's pretty glaringly obvious otherwise.

11. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Nice to see the over represented coloured on Midsommer again this week. From different ethnics in bed together to show the difference in shades of colour to those swinging in trees. It's getting worse week on week.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  12. swankypants69

swankypants69 UKBF Regular Free Member

491 103
    If it offends you Andrew, turn it off

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 By: swankypants69 Member since: May 4, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,066 1,512
    I've tried explaining that to him but he likes to keep on a'watchin TV when he could be out campaigning :rolleyes:

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  14. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Yes, all you have said is "turn it off", again and again :rolleyes:

Why would I campaign? I've made a observation and tried to discuss it, that's all.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  15. swankypants69

491 103
    I don't think it really warrants a discussion

Whether you like it or not Britain is a multi cultural society

And as such TV programmes are likely to change to reflect this, irrespective of whether or not this reflects the true nature of a specific area or not

If you don't like it, leave

Go find somewhere where you can live without "coloured" people

I am sometimes astounded at the racist undertones on some threads on this site, it makes me feel like leaving sometimes. If anyone highlights this, there seems to be quite a few members who are happy to back up the bigots

Saying you aren't a racist doesn't make it so

"I don't like coloured people on TV, I'm not a racist though", doesn't stack up

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 By: swankypants69 Member since: May 4, 2012
  16. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    I have never said I don't like coloured people on TV, no one on this thread has, it's obviously a problem you perceive others have, which to be frank makes you the bigot.

There is no moral high ground in calling people racist when coloured people are discussed, despite what some people on this thread appear to think. I have also mentioned older actors, no one has called me ageist though, odd isn't it!

Equally, saying someone us a racist doesn't make it so. In fact it's offensive.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  17. swankypants69

491 103
    I can only assume that by continuing to use the word "coloured", you are either

A. Over 80 years old
    B. Racist
    C. Ignorant
    D. A troll
    E. A mix of the above

18. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Why would you say that? Coloured people are coloured, white people are white. Actually that's not true, very few people are white, but I don't take offence at being called white.

Please tell me what term I should be using collectively for different races that are not white? By the way, when I say " white" I'm referring to English, Welsh, Scots, Irish, French, Polish, Germans, Americans.... well you get the idea.

19. swankypants69

491 103
    This is the crux, why do you think there should be a term to describe everyone who isn't "white"?

This is hilarious

20. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    You really don't understand do you. Nothing hilarious about it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.