Racism in TV and film.

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Andrew Chambers, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    How else do you describe mixed race, I don't see "half cast" as offensive, it's descriptive and everyone knows exactly what it means. It wasn't long ago calling people 'black' was considered racist, now it's ok again, probably because they are black, well they are as much black as I'm white, and there is very little white in my complexion, more beige really with a splash of pink!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: Andrew Chambers Member since: Sep 21, 2015
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,971 3,503
    No!

To get an Oscar, you (or rather the studio) has to lobby for an Oscar and that costs big bucks - think full page ads in Variety, stuff like that! The are just a handful of slots in each category and there are 6,261 members, nearly all of whom are white men in their 60s or over.

The Academy is very much a liberal bunch who really cannot be accused of racism, yet the structure of the industry and the Academy in particular is racist, simply because breaking into the industry is so very hard to do.

For example, these are the basic requirements, if you want to be a member of the editor category - “a minimum of four theatrical feature film credits of a calibre which, in the opinion of the executive committee, reflect the high standards of the Academy. These credits must be principal position screen credits as film editor with at least two being single card credits.”

A single card credit means that yours is the only name on screen at that moment. That means that you can only become a member of the Academy if you are pretty much right at the very top of your profession and involved in the mainstream of Hollywood. No art films, no minority films, no making of obscure stuff, other than movies with a large double figure millions budget.

So only the very few who get to make those rigidly structured, standard Hollywood, three act, 15 sections, 40 scene movies get to play in that sandbox.

The political aspirations of Hollywood and the Academy may be liberal, but the structure is deeply conservative. People like Spielberg and Abrahams still insist on shooting on 35mm film. The rules for how a script is laid out are ludicrously strict and even the number of holes punched, the colour and weight of the paper is set in stone, as well as the eight or nine different margin sizes, font (courier 12-pt) and just about everything else baffles outsiders.

Every little thing has a standard, from the film or acting school you need to have attended, to the type of software you can use. The cinematographer may proudly state "Rules are there to be broken!" and you have to smile when you see that he is working from a script that gives dialogue exactly 2.7" left margin, 2.4" right margin and no more than 34 characters long in courier 12-pt.

You could present the greatest script ever and even have a covering letter of recommendation from George Lucas; if your script does not comply with the hundred and one rules, it goes straight into the trash!

You can deliver the greatest movie score ever recorded; if it is not a ProTools project folder with instruments laid out in accordance with precise guidelines, it will be instantly rejected. Because that software is now ages old and completely inadequate, Hans Zimmer (and many others) uses a completely different software, so he must have an assistant who converts his recordings - even Hans Zimmer would otherwise find his material rejected.

The bonkers part of this is, as Hollywood comes under ever-greater pressure from film-makers from South America, New Zealand and Europe, as well as makers of indie films that do not follow the rules, rather than loosen up a bit, it has become even more conservative!

This is of course a completely unsustainable position, as they have found out in the past week, as it leads to a structural bias against outsiders - and that makes it racist.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,958 981
    I'm getting really fed up with the entire adjust the balance attitude. The Stage today is banging on about a row with female choreographers. Bloody gender equality, race equality and age equality - it's ludicrous. It's all about context. Posh schools v sink schools - all should have the same access to university and careers. Again in the Stage today they are talking about an image of Laurence Olivier blacked up to play Othello. I don't watch movies so have no idea why there were no black nominees. I have no idea why there were no blind ones either, or deaf, or very short or ultra tall. Maybe, just maybe, there weren't any good auditions for roles that impressed the casting director?

You cannot have quotas. Remember Roots - the Arthur Hailey production. It tried to be realistic. The memory seems to indicate the casting was pretty good, and appropriate.

If somebody made a drama where I live, then there would be no black or minorities in it at all. There would be however, quite a few Greek and Italians in their 50s and older, and the younger people would have a higher representation of eastern europeans. Black faces are quite rare - so if you want realism, then the casting could be seen as racist. This of course is pathetic.

When I was teaching in a college (94 to 2004) every time a photographer came in to take prospectus pictures or TV crews, the powers that be would round up a nice ethnically balanced bunch of people. One day, the Chinese girl asked me why it was she was always picked for pictures like this? When I told her, she was furious, because her ethnicity had never mattered at all in classes, and she'd not given it any thought. Being used as a 'token' offended her greatly, and she refused to go in any further pictures, annoying the management because they needed them for their quota of ethnicity! One Chinese girl out of around 1200 students, one Filipino (who later appeared on M&S ads, did a bit of singing and became a personality and one poor black guy - that was it! On the other hand, when I was an examiner, I'd go to some colleges in the midlands and there wouldn't be a single white face at all, and I'd hear so many languages being spoken I had no idea how to communicate. In London, I went to one place that had all white staff, but no white students?

I work in performing arts, mainly theatre, and nobody seems remotely bothered by any of the 'its'. Some people are nice, some not. Some talented and others less so. Does it make a difference? Not that I have ever seen. If say, I lost a member of the company, perhaps due to something like a broken leg. The only requirement I'd have would be for somebody with an identical feature set. I'd tell the office I needed somebody who could do X, fit into a Y size costume, and be male (or female). I'd possibly need to specify a playing age, but this isn't the same as real age. Maybe they need to be able to reach a certain high note, or have good tap, or a million other requirements but I don't have a box to tick for straight, or white, or any of these things. Realistic should be the aim for movies or drama. The point was made that there were black people in history but they would have been treated as a curiosity, yet very often they are out of place casting, wise. The most popular guy at school was a fella called Johnny. everyone wanted to be his friend because he was black. The nicest guy. Back in 1971, he was a novelty in my area.

All this equality has got really warped. Numerical equality is pointless.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

540 75
    I wonder how many top actors/actresses are Jewish :confused:

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: Twinkle Toes Member since: Feb 21, 2015
  5. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Or trannies, oops sorry, trans gender.

Off the top of my head Jewish - Jeff Goldblum and Judd Hirsch who were in Independence Day with Will Smith (how the hell that got the go ahead is a mystery, casting directors must have had a bad day!!)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. Twinkle Toes

540 75
  7. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,876 872
    Trannies = colour photographs you need a light box to view.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  8. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 174
    I've got news for you. Absolutely none of the actors are of pakistani descent. They are all of indian or anglo-Indian descent. I remember this of the top of my head because our school (ethnically diverse) organised a school trip to the cinema to watch this culturally rich film. A few pakistanis took exception to this because they felt it was derisory against Pakistanis and the fact that the entire cast was Indian added insult to injury.

Wikipedia cast confirms these.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Is_East_(1999_film)

A few of them are very anglacised, adopting English name and the wikipedia does not mention their parents country of origin, (Jordan Routledge & Chris Bisson).

Chris Bisson could easily be a very tanned English guy.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  9. Twinkle Toes

540 75
    Really, I thought they were transistor radios :p

10. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

4,043 844
    *facepalm*

*double facepalm*

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Twinkle Toes

540 75
    LMAO

12. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    That's a pointless post. You need to back up sarcasm with opinions.

*facepalm*

13. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,568 982
    I would descibe them as mixed race. Its not my rules, I remember called people half cast when I was younger and then about 5 years ago I was told its wrong.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  14. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Lucky they didn't see "It ain't half hot mum" then!!

Chris Bisson was, I believe, born in Manchester, so presume he is indeed British. This is where the waters get murky!

15. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Ain't that the truth, not doubt it'll change back again then, just like calling black people Black did.

Feel sorry for the kids these days who have to play "Cowboys and native Americans" and "Law enforcers and socially disadvantaged individuals"..

16. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,568 982
    And sing bah bah rainbow sheep?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  17. Twinkle Toes

540 75
    ROFL

18. LesGraham

LesGraham UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 21

I thought you meant really useful vans. :D

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: LesGraham Member since: Dec 18, 2015
  19. Andrew Chambers

Andrew Chambers Banned

396 87
    Good point, and this could go against my opinion as rarely do you see a black trannie on the road, mostly they white, especially those midget ones that aren't real trannies anyway.

20. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

4,043 844
    It wasn't sarcasm. It was a pretty long way from sarcasm. It was despair.
    And it wasn't pointless, it was implicit derision.

Now, what would you like an opinion on? The broadly racist statement telling "the blacks" to 'get their act together'? Or the modern, soon-to-be-classic criticism of minorities highlighting racism, where one can't use the word "uppity" anymore and instead goes with "oh they're playing the race card"? Or perhaps the part where you defended your use of the racial epithet by declaring it doesn't offend *you*?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.