Question around Address Change

Discussion in 'Insolvency' started by Jam1997, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jam1997

Jam1997 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    Hello,

I ran a LTD Company which has fallen in to debt. I owe VAT and Corporation Tax and have an overdrawn directors loan. I have no assets in the company or personally and have no way to pay the debts.

I filled out the DS01 form and as expected HMRC objected. I wrote to them to ask them to wind up the company and I am now in limbo waiting.

I have not filed my latest accounts and now my confirmation statement is overdue.

I am not able to afford to keep on my accountant and basically was just paying them at this point to receive my mail. So the plan was to switch to a more affordable service that will be a registered address for my ltd company and fwd on my mail.

My query is around changing the address to them. Being that I have applied for a strike off and have not filed my confirmation statement, it seems counter to those to then change the address on the company. Can I do that or should I just leave it and wait for the wind up?

If I am able to change the address the second question I have can the country change? i.e. my company is currently registered to a Scotland address, do I need to find another Scotland one or is it ok to switch to England?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Jam1997 Member since: Sep 5, 2019
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,188 3,420
    I would just wait and let things take their course. I don't think you can change the country of registration, you need to register a new company.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Lisa Thomas

Lisa Thomas UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

3,523 448
    How much is the debt to HMRC and your DLA? There is no guarantee they will Liquidate - it depends on those two answers.

C House will probably strike it off in due course if the statutory returns are not filed, although HMRC might keep objecting.

One alternative might be to repay some/all of the DLA in instalments to cover the cost of Liquidation but appreciate this might not be something you can/will want to do.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Lisa Thomas Member since: Apr 20, 2015
  4. Jam1997

14 0
    VAT and Corporation Tax are about £24k total owed.

DLA is overdrawn by about £10k.

So they will keep objecting as the DLA is an asset.

My concern with leaving things is if I do not change the registered address then I will no longer receive any mail. Also I am sure my old account will object to having their address as the registered address.

5. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,996 876
    your post last years said the company was dissolved September 19.

Is this another company that you are dissolving?

Sep 2019 Final Gazette dissolved via compulsory strike-off
    Mar 2019 Compulsory strike-off action has been suspended
    Jan 2019 First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  6. Jam1997

14 0
    I'm not really here to go through my post history. If you're that desperate to know you can go through all my posts and I am sure you can work it out.

However i would like this thread to stay on topic so if you dont have any input towards that then thanks for your time but this isnt the thread for you.

7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,989 2,772
    So change your mail. Then at least will get letters.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,996 876
    Not interested one bit - the question was asked pertinent to your thread.

If you you have a history of serial defaults on tax debts on Ltd Companies and constantly attempt to dissolve then you are at higher risk of HMRC looking into your actions on the current company.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  9. Adam93

Adam93 UKBF Regular Free Member

365 76
    That's a large debt to HMRC. Expect them to wind the company up. Alternatively, you can appoint your own liquidator.

If dissolved, don't forget to put the overdrawn director's loan on your tax return.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Adam93 Member since: Jan 18, 2018
  10. Jam1997

14 0
    I am expecting them to wind up the company, I believe if they do this then first they will petition the courts (sorry I dont know the correct wording) at which point a voluntary or an involuntary strike off is blocked and no longer can happen.

If that does happen then at that point I may appoint a IP if I can afford to do so.

But my question was specifically about changing address when the confirmation statement has not been filed.

11. Lisa Thomas

3,523 448
    There will be no point in appointing your own IP is HMRC issue a winding up petition really, you might as well let them carry on with it.

If you do decide to do a CVL post issuing of the petition you will really need to do it before it is advertised, otherwise HMRC will want their costs paying to withdraw.

Even then the Court will still allow the hearing to continue in case another creditor wants to piggy back on the original petition.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 By: Lisa Thomas Member since: Apr 20, 2015
  12. Lisa Thomas

3,523 448
    Its really your decision whether you think it's worthwhile changing the registered office address.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 By: Lisa Thomas Member since: Apr 20, 2015