Question about importing from China. Newbie/Naive questions!

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Robert, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert

Robert UKBF Newcomer Free Member

184 0
    Hello,

I've recently contacted a company in China to supply some hand-tools. they've sent me some samples and I'm about to order some.

Let me just say, this is my first time importing anything and I am very naive! I'm years away from being able to order a container load, I'm just a one-man-band. But this company is happy to supply small orders of about 500 items each which I'll sell via ebay and my website.

So I want to order 1000 items, I would have thought this would be less than a pallet load, but it's difficult to say.

The chap I have been dealing with has asked the question...

Which has really raised some questions for me. He has asked for a port. Does that mean I can just specify my local docks and go to collect it there? Does this mean if I specify "air" that I have to collect it from the airport?

I want to receive the parcel asap, so if I select "sea" would this mean I'd wait for months to get anything? if i select "air" would this mean a huge bill as it's quite a heavy and large crate/box.

Any advise would be gratefully received!

Posted: Dec 1, 2005 By: Robert Member since: Dec 1, 2005
  2. caroline

caroline UKBF Newcomer Free Member

220 0
    Hi Robert
    I'm in the same situation myself. I am getting a full container load from China, they are manufacturing a new product for me. I'm also in the process of trying to find out all this information too. I don't think sea transport takes that long (unless you choose the slow boat option)
    I have to arrange an agent to pick up my product at the port. They will do the paperwork and deliver it to me. They have to be paid too, and I will be contacting agents later today. As soon as I find out anything else I will let you know. Delivery would go by weight so I imagine air shipping would be a lot more expensive.
    I will let you know what I find out unless anyone else can help beforehand.

Posted: Dec 1, 2005 By: caroline Member since: Nov 29, 2005
  3. Robert

184 0
    I'd be very grateful, thank you very much!

I'd particularly like to know what agent you use and what ports are available.

4. caroline

220 0
    What area are you in? Felixtowe is my nearest port as I'm in Essex. Southampton is another one, I'm sure it would be easy enough to find the others with a search on the web.

Posted: Dec 1, 2005 By: caroline Member since: Nov 29, 2005
  5. Robert

184 0
    I'm in Swansea. There are docks in Swansea but I have no idea they go there. or I'd have to go to a bigger port, like Pembroke, or Cardiff.

Do ships from China visit every port in the UK one by one ?

6. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,501 598
    Posted: Dec 1, 2005 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  7. caroline

220 0
    Sorry I haven't been back with more info. Agents are slow with coming back for quotes. Alibaba is very good I agree, thats where I found my manufacturers. Just be careful, only deal with people with real email addresses, and make sure to get their phone number and address from them, there are a lot of scams going on at the moment (but I'm sure you are aware of that already!)

Posted: Dec 4, 2005 By: caroline Member since: Nov 29, 2005
  8. Sarah-Ink Promotions

Sarah-Ink Promotions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

684 7
    Its much cheaper to import by sea but quicker by air (approx 7-10 days as opposed to 4 weeks by sea). You have to specify a port / aiport then get an agent to clear it for you. There are two ways to ship FOB - free on board which is better as you have more control and is generally cheaper (you need a freight forwarder this end to clear and deliver it for you) or CIF where the supplier sorts out clearance and delivery to your door - often it isnt done properly and you get hit with storage charges. if you would like a recommendation for a freight forwarder in your area let me know as I import lots of stuff from China and HK

Hope that helps!

Sarah

Posted: Dec 4, 2005 By: Sarah-Ink Promotions Member since: Nov 13, 2005
  9. Robert

184 0
    Thanks for the advice about scammers. I think the type of thing I am buying is not a typical scammer terretory. i.e. I would be very very wary of iPods or PSP/Xboxs etc. It's not a "hot" item.

Also, the guy has been very helpful and advised me to go with the cheapest shipping option.

I WILL ring him though. It would be stupid not to, even though it's only $1000.

BTW, although it's wise to be wary of "free" email addresses, I already deal with a supplier in Pakistan, and a UK supplier, both of which are 100% legitimate. One of them even uses an AOL address - lol.

I spoke to customs an excise. They told me that they would contact me when it arrives in Southampton and I could come and collect it, with a filled in C88 form.

I think I will borrow a van and pick it up. It won't be a major hassle.

Posted: Dec 4, 2005 By: Robert Member since: Dec 1, 2005
  10. bwglaw

bwglaw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,680 237
    Be prepared to pay importation tax. I personally ordered a small digital camera from Singapore and got a bill from DHL for freight and tax on the value of the item! It was a hike compared to the value of the item. Larger orders, larger bill.

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: bwglaw Member since: Apr 8, 2005
  11. DeveloperBloke

DeveloperBloke UKBF Regular Free Member

173 4
    hi there

firstly, find out if you can get the good s throguh a known distributor int he uk or closely in the eu. firstly, the distributor (although a little more costly) can deliver, but, if they have a distributor, then you know they are bonifide.

if they have a distributor in the eu, same points

secondly, call them, and ask how much it would be to have the goods to be delivered direct to your warehouse, house, they sould be able to sort this.

thridly, ensure that the supplier is bonafide, find other bsuinesse which have been supplied by him,

fourthly, get an agent, they cost a little more, but it can be worth it, they should sort all of this for you

i have just imported 7000 units of a new product we have designed and had manufactured in china, and we have found that they need to be TOLD, not asked things

let me know how you get on

j

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: DeveloperBloke Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  12. Robert

184 0
    Should I be able to track where my order it, if it's coming by ship?

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: Robert Member since: Dec 1, 2005
  13. rajasiang

rajasiang UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    Hi Robert,

Either u use FOB or CIF, when the manufacturer in china send of the goods, they should have the Bill of Landing (BOL). U will need the originial of BOL and also original invoices to have the clearance from customs.

On the BOL, there will be a shipping line details and their local agents in UK. YOu will be able to contact the local office for the date of arrival. But they normally quote that in the BOL anyway as ETA (Early time Arrival).

HOpe it will help. Good luck

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: rajasiang Member since: Nov 27, 2005
  14. bwglaw

bwglaw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,680 237
    I think you mean "Bill of Lading"..?

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: bwglaw Member since: Apr 8, 2005
  15. rajasiang

rajasiang UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    :D thats right mate!

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 By: rajasiang Member since: Nov 27, 2005
  16. luozhuhong

luozhuhong UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    Hello ,
    It's so glad you are doing business with Chinese suppliers too.I have been doing the sourcing and trading business in China for some years.I would like to cooperate with any one of you to to the imorting/exporting business.

Regards,

Michael

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 By: luozhuhong Member since: Aug 15, 2005
  17. Chris G2

Chris G2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,

I am just putting some costing together before I start importing lingerie from China. I have a couple of shops but want to move into wholesale.

Can anyone suggest some reliable easy to deal with freight Forwarders I could contact. Also, any advice on import duty and any other costs would be very appreciated.

thanks

Chris

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 By: Chris G2 Member since: Mar 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.