Quality of the product I'm importing

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Jose1989, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Jose1989

Jose1989 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hi,

I'm thinking to import a product from China to the UK and sell it under my brand. I'd need the product to be categorised with X rate, the factory in China says that's ok but they also manufacture exactly the same product but categorised as Y rate (you cannot know if its X rated or Y rated unless you'd take the product to a laboratory) .
    My doubt is, How can I be sure they are providing me with the X rate product I do want? Would I have to take samples to the laboratory every order I make?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks in advance for your help

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 By: Jose1989 Member since: May 12, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,991 3,446
    By the sound of it, yes. But does it matter to the consumer?

And if you find they sent you the wrong thing, what then? Ship it all back at your expense? Or destroy it and pay for a fresh batch?

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Jose1989

Jose1989 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Yes it matter, in terms of one of this products would not meet the regulations to be used in some applications here in UK, and because these are very similar (looks the same and the only difference is the type of material used).
    The supplier offers me a full refund in case there is a problem but obviously I don't want to be sending samples to the laboratory in every purchase I make. It isn't cheap.
    I don't know what could I do...

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 By: Jose1989 Member since: May 12, 2020
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,648 1,339
    Can you explain in more detail (without identifying the product) the difference in X & Y rates?

I wouldn't rely on what a China supplier tells you.

You would need to take a number of 'batch' samples to the lab to be tested, then instruct an independent person to random test the batch.

Get an independent person to check the consignment before making final payment.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

192 32
    Jose
    It comes down to whether you trust the factory and how well you know them or not. Assuming you do not fully trust them (probably wise) then perform a qc inspection including testing random samples before making final payment and shipping. This has three advantages, firstly if it fails the test you still hold the balance monies, second you dont have to pay at your expense to ship back to china and thirdly its a lot cheaper to run most tests and QC in china than the UK.
    Have it written in your contract that a) you dont pay the balance until after the QC inspection has reported back satisfactorily and b) if it fails QC either a new batch is manufactured or your deposit is refunded (you choose).

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  6. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,199 1,141
    DETERMINING TIRE SPEED RATING
    Speed ratings are the product of laboratory testing – with simulated speeds and loads. To receive any kind of rating, a tire must demonstrate that it’s capable of sustaining a particular speed. Industry standards govern the process of reaching and maintaining a given speed during a test.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  7. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

393 219
    Wouldn't trust the Chinese as far as I can throw them. We last dealt with them on importing Titanium Dioxide a number of years back, sample and 1st order good, what they sent after that is anyone's guess. Chalk/anything that is white + some TiO2 our best guess. In my 1st employed job we imported galv. steel from China and caught them pants down shorting us on the coating zinc thickness...something which affects corrosion resistance claims and quoted life times of structural steelworks. They just don't give a damn in my experience. Can be as much as £100.00 a tonne in difference on price between various zinc thicknesses so were making out like bandits for a long while.

I have a single Hong Kong based customer now as our only exposure and
    I even question then if we should be doing business with them. They classify the product differently to how we do...because the actual classification is inconvenient to them.

I often look at the machinery/plant on MadeInChina as a point of interest at how ridiculously cheap it is. Then contact a Germany manufacturer of the same plant and pay 3-4 times the price for peace-of-mind that absolute garbage won't be turning up. No matter how cheap. Been there done it, putting £20k in the scrap bin doesn't feel great.

Just feels too much like the Wild West for me in business terms. Clearly they have great capability and some great companies, perhaps why it is best to go through people who are experienced in China and can cut out some of the pain points a lot of people like me have had.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,991 3,446
    Then sounds like you will be doing QA checks and lab tests on every order.
    Factor that into your pricing and use it as a selling point.

Or else buy from a more reputable supplier. Even if cost is higher.
    There's companies in some fields who keep their reputation by providing high quality product - people importing don't need to check. They are certain already.

Or take your chances and be unaware how messed over you get by someone able to get away with it.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Red Wood

Red Wood UKBF Regular Free Member

647 74
    I'm assuming you are an expert or at the very least very knowledgeable in your chosen industry. Use that skill and visit the factory. There is no money to be made by cutting corners long term.

Ask for their certification for their current products and verify with the 3rd party laboratory or test house. Back this up with your own testing of the products to insure compliance.

If you go into this just wanting a cheap OEM product and are not willing to spend the money in your own factory audits, product testing and relationship building you will get burnt.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014
  10. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

192 32
    I agree with Red Wood - visiting the factory can be very informative, however unless you speak fluent Chinese you need to take an independent translator with you whom you can trust. Do not use a translator supplied by the factory or a student who is not familiar with business. At the moment however it is prohibited for non Chinese nationals from UK to visit China so unless you hold a PRC passport you will have to rely on someone else to do this for you. Find a good company who you can trust and who have a staff and offices in China to be your 'eyes and ears' and check and protect your interests.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

373 81
    You can hire a QC inspection company in China, to do pre-shipment inspection and meantime to pull samples from the shipment and sent to a lab (such as SGS). In fact, ordinary lab testing usually is not that expensive, suggest you do your own control, instead of relying on what your China supplier claims.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  12. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

77 8
    You should hire a third party quality inspection company. Actually, you can make different inspections during the manufacturing process.

1) Initial production Check: This process involves the inspection of raw materials before the start of the production process. It also involves the verification of materials ordered by the factory.

2) During Production Inspection: This production process is ideal for shipment of substantial quantities and the product lines up with continuous production. We will inspect the production batch and examine the products to find any possible defects.

3) Final Random Inspection: It starts after the completion of the production process and the merchandise is ready & packed for shipment. We will verify the product safety, quantity, and standards in line with prescribed specifications & norms.

4) Pre-Shipment Inspection: The systematic inspection of units selected randomly from all batches of the order, after completion of 80% of the production process. This is also regarded as the final opportunity to take corrective action before the product is packed.

Most quality inspection companies in HK and China can provide the above inspections. You can find a reliable company and set-up a inspection theme than match your requirements.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020