Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by Adzooma

Put off by CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by CVUK, Mar 7, 2018.

1. CVUK

CVUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    Afternoon all,

I am receiving a decent amount of spam through my online contact form - mostly incoherent one liners.

As I am sure the case is for a lot of you, most of my hits are through mobile/ tablet.

My question is - do you think having to fill out a CAPTCHA on mobile would dissuade a significant number of potentials? I would A/B test this, but my volumes are quite small currently.

Cheers!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: CVUK Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  2. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

1,578 324
    How much is an enquiry worth to you?
    How long does it take to deal with spam?

If you know the answer to those questions, you know if you should use Captcha.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  3. CVUK

4 1
    Solid point. Genuine enquiries have a very strong conversion rate, and the spam is a 5 minute job. Looks like I will stick with clearing the drains. Thanks

4. Leo Salazar

Leo Salazar UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 10
    I see Captcha as a clear cost/benefit calculation for the user. In other words: if they think the content is valuable, going through the rather small inconvenience of checking a Captcha box won't stop them.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Leo Salazar Member since: Sep 2, 2017
  5. CVUK

4 1
    Interesting Leo - another angle I had not considered

6. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,460 766
    If I had the go through hoops like captcha to enter my local shops I'd not go in. Add up a hundred small inconveniences a week and it gets to be a very real pain.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  7. Leo Salazar

Leo Salazar UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 10
    Is that so? When was the last time you went to the cinema? To a concert? If the perceived value of what have waiting for you is high enough, you go through the small inconveniences.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Leo Salazar Member since: Sep 2, 2017
  8. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,460 766
    Neither the cinema or the Concert Hall ask me to play silly bingo games 8 times before I get the correct answer and am allowed in.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  9. Joe Y

Joe Y UKBF Contributor Free Member

92 6
    I would leave it off. Its not a big deal to do it and message you, but neither is it to clear the spam once a month. Why rock the boat?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Joe Y Member since: Feb 9, 2018
  10. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,670 262
    Worth thinking about your legitimate customers and how they feel about Captcha. My eye sight is not what it used to be and if I get put off enough I will go elsewhere.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  11. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,025 1,294
    Of course, many of the Captcha type apps also offer an "audio" option for those with poor eyesight.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  12. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,670 262
    What's that you say? o_O

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  13. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

952 137
    In reality captcha is one of the best reason why people leave because most of the captcha today are so annoying due to endless repetition. So its better to have maintenance to clean up those spam.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  14. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,811 1,591
    Captcha, Re-Captcha ver1 and ReCaptcha ver2 with sound have all been cracked.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  15. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

834 204
    The vast majority of contact form spam comes from dumb, automatic bots. As such I wouldn't worry about your captcha being insecure/cracked, this is only an issue when your website is being specifically targeted (and to spam a contact form, that won't happen).

I would actually go a step further and say to stop most spam, you probably don't need to use a complicated captcha - a simple question (e.g. "What colour is grass?") can stop a large portion of automated bot spam without causing issues for your customers.

To answer your question, captcha rarely ever bothers me personally, there are of course some really annoying ones but most of the time it's the captchas which are outright broken which bother me!

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  16. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,680 1,115
    Half the time when I get down the page to the details to type from badly readable stuff (listening is not an option) and I enter it the page gets rejected.
    Not wanting to type in a bunch of things again I'll move on unless I must use this site.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  17. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,355 8,657
    I've been using a maths captcha for years and it defeat nearly all the bots. Add a honey trap and form completion speed checker and all but the most persistent spammer gets blocked.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,044 1,669
    As @fisicx says a simple honeypot will defeat most stupid bots, and simple to do if you are coding your own forms. There are other 'silent' options that work too.

Personally I don't care for maths captchas and certainly not the unreadable words style - but the simple recaptcha (tick I'm not a robot) is pretty light weight on interference

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  19. Pat Walsh

Pat Walsh UKBF Contributor Full Member

55 18
    Just to put it on the radar - there's also Invisible reCAPTCHA from Google now, which doesn't display a tickbox on the form but somehow works out whether the form is being used by human or bot. If it decides its a bot, it displays the usual reCAPTCHA challenge to identify the relevant images to continue/submit.

More info at https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/invisible.html

A project I work on introduced it recently and it seems to have worked ok so far.

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 By: Pat Walsh Member since: Apr 14, 2017
  20. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

226 49
    The tick CAPTCA or Googles new versions are the only versions I'd recommend. We have run tests on several sites, with customer feedback, and even the tick had some negative feedback as people miss it and wonder why they can't submit!

All others had a significant impact on conversion; the feedback is also terrible, people struggle to read the text, click all the images, do the maths, some people just leave automatically!

As an aside, with GDPR upon us soon, plus the need to build fully compliant email contact/marketing lists, a really good solution is a a proper email integration. This integrates with any excising email you have and sends out a link for people to click on once they've completed the form.

If setup properly and the messaging is good, the conversion rate is much better than CAPTCHA. It ensures that they've seen your T&Cs/marketing opt in, plus is GDPR compliant and stops the spam email from reaching you, as the bots never get to click on the link in the email!

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018