General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Pub in East London Pub needs ideas to increase footfall

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ethical PR, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mpg

Mpg UKBF Ace Free Member

1,498 281
    Although your most probably right i have just googled the pub and it looks like its closed down.

Crazy times we live in

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: Mpg Member since: Aug 18, 2009
  2. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,285 243
    Any word from OP? Would be good to hear how the place is doing and whats working!

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  3. ArrowLightHaulage

ArrowLightHaulage UKBF Newcomer Free Member

50 5
    Just found this.

Having grown up in East Ham, like many of the other commenters in the thread, I have also run pubs, successfully in London, Essex and Kent (Duke of Sussex, Mawney Arms, The Catherine Wheel plus many others including several pool pubs).

You need to target separate markets, the students and oaps of a lunchtime with cost effective simple food. Employ the students, as it has been suggested before.

The evenings, pick a quiet one and have a quiz. Make it really blinking tough, I mean really tough and have a jackpot round that rolls over each week so the normal weekly prize is say £30 and £30 is put in the jackpot fund each week. When you get to a few hundred quid you will start getting more people come in and join because they want to win the money. Like I say, pick a quiet night and build it up. Leaflet drop the local area a week before and encourage the regulars to enter teams and make them feel a bit clever and competitive.

Pool teams are no hassle if they are looked after, get some. Lure a successful team away from their present home if need be. A pool night with several teams playing on a weekly basis will see a significant increase in takings.

Have a pool competition, get some pro's in to launch it (they don't cost very much) and put up a prize. Don't do this on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Live music whilst very nice, it costs a lot to recoup the costs of it. Think about having a bands comp where they play for free and are voted on, they will bring people with them and make sure the other events like quizzes and pool nights are advertised heavily. Try and get a decent prize sponsored and get the local paper involved some how.

Focus on splitting the trade, so the day time draws one set of customers and the evening another and slowly they will blur, making early evening the crossover point and quite busy.

This all needs to be run like a military campaign, with the landlords being present and visible in their pub, chatting to the regulars, asking for their ideas, feeding back to them and making them feel that it's their place, their pub and they have a say.

If need be they need to go and visit all the other pubs on a 'crawl' with some of their hardcore regulars. It makes the drinkers in other pubs curious as to what's going on. Never do this on a Friday or Saturday night, it indicates you don't want to be in your own pub on traditional busy nights. Always invite the landlord of the other pub back for a drink, very publicly, they will be hard pushed to publicly refuse your hospitality... how does it look to their customers? make sure when this is done, the place is a palace... or it can have an adverse affect.

Sarah

PS looking forward to reading how they have got on with all the other ideas in this thread :)

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: ArrowLightHaulage Member since: Jun 21, 2007
  4. uksme

uksme UKBF Contributor Free Member

72 9
    Your friend may already have signed up for this, but there's a website called UseYourLocal.com where you can register your pub with the post office so that anyone in the local area who isn't in when a parcel is delivered it gets dropped off at the pub instead - that's a good community builder?

Sam Haythornthwaite
    DaltonsBusiness.com

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: uksme Member since: Oct 2, 2009
  5. TerscomSteve

TerscomSteve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    you could always get a high profile footballer to do a tv ad.....

cos that would happen these days !

check out you tube id cuTgbrR71RA as i cant post links

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: TerscomSteve Member since: Sep 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.