General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Pub in East London Pub needs ideas to increase footfall

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ethical PR, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    Point taken Emma. Lived in collier Row myself for year. As for customers didn't I see somewhere full of Millwal supporters. OUCH.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    Posted: Sep 6, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  2. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    Just make the pool tables free. Job done.

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  3. YODspica

YODspica UKBF Newcomer Free Member

906 49
    mind the people that would stay all day playing pool :)

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 By: YODspica Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  4. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    I solved the pool table problem and all the broken cues split over some-ones head. The ripped up green blazre having to be repaired almost every week. It was simple. I got the pool table people it was rented from to give me 20 slightly better than normal cuse's in nice boxes and sleeves. Then I had each of the 'Romford Boys' names engraved on them. Cost a fraction of that replacing then every month.

This was 5-6 years ago and never had a problem thereafter and they made sure no-one else caused trouble either.

I still bump into a few of the lads now and then. All pretty decent respectable adults now in their 20s and done well in their jobs and could afford the best cue money can buy. Yet they all tell me that they still got those cues.

Just goes to show that what goes around really does come around. You only have to look at Duane. I bet he has seen a few broken cues in his day.

Robert.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  5. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    Nah, we were hardcore. Snooker balls in a sock.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  6. RockLinks

RockLinks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

796 15
    Host some Live Band's, Live Music is growing more and more popular and is where the money is in the Music Industry thanks to downloads. Drop me a PM and i can sort you out with some acts.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: RockLinks Member since: Feb 11, 2005
  7. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    That pussycat Becham sticks 2 down his pants for his photo shoots.:D

8. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    You got to pull in a hell of a lot of punters to cover the cost of a live band. I used to get them FREE in return for letting them practice in a function room upstairs and it still wasn't worth it when you take account of the fact that you now need at least 2 licenced doormen on every door. That's nearly £400 quid to start with at least.

I might also add that live bands do tend to bring in the crackheads with a bottle of water who don't drink or students who make a pint last the night and to make up that £400 quid alone after taking normal overheads into consideration your talking about 15% net profit on beer. That relates to selling an extra £3,000 of beer on the night.

I know many a pub now that have dropped entertainment altogether. Got rid of bar staff and just the hubby and wife run it and they are finding that the bottom line isn't much different and without all the hassle.

Sorry Rocklinks. I don't want to reign on your parade but unless your bands have a huge following and can command entrance fees to cover their costs and some like the cost of doormen - I can't see any value in your service to the average publican.

Robert

9. fourblankwalls

fourblankwalls UKBF Newcomer Free Member

113 8
    Hi there, we supply quite a lot of bars with art that they then sell on. These are not expensive things. Just £50.00 upwards and they are all doing really well. Plus it creates interest and that area is quite arty. If they are interested they can contact us about canvas prints and wall art at [email protected]

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: fourblankwalls Member since: Nov 12, 2008
  10. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,241 1,584
    wow - thanks so much, lots to think about.

and it's really useful to have the combination of pub trade and local knowledge.

not so sure about the idea of art on the walls, may not last too long on match days!!!!

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  11. MrsPWN

MrsPWN UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,653 292
    Like the idea of music, how about an open mike night, does that need bouncers?

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: MrsPWN Member since: Jul 25, 2009
  12. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,285 243
    Hopefully this info will be some good to you - Its probably been said throughout the thread but they are some things that MAY work for your friend. I'm not sure on the area and style of the outlet.

First though, Punch have a bad name but not all of the Pubco's are bad. It depends how good a deal you got as its all down to the haggling before you sign.. they are never really very good afterwards.. I've never went or used Punch so dont have the experience but saying that some pubco's/brewers are fantastic! I know someone with Punch and they have 5 pubs with other companies/brewers and they do well out of it but they say Punch are more hassle!

I don't think many of the "old mans" pubs will last much longer.. Pub need to diversify and offer as many income streams if they want to stay open for the long term. Drinks is sometimes one of the smaller % of income to some units and Food can be a major %. I know some pubs that are getting to as near 50/50 wet/dry with the dry looking to take over soon.

I know theres alot with the licensing laws and what you can and cant promote but Food can be promoted and should be heavily.

Live Music - Somewhere for local bands to play for free - there are plenty of bands that will do it and so many pubs use it. Some base it on bringing punters in.. there are many pubs/bars local to me that do Live music 7 days a week. - I'm not sure about security etc.. you dont need it here but i think from this thread oldeagle pointed out in your area you need it.

Daytime Food offer - Speak to 3663 and Brakes, there are pub meals that you can do without much equipment or space at all. the place i'm talking about has only got a back bar food operation but managed to offer Burgers / Pizzas / Chips / Salads / Wraps / Panninis & Sandwiches.. this was more of a studenty bar as you can imagine but both 3663 and Brakes will setup someone to come out to you and let you know what you could offer with low cost or low money.. You can still make 100% markup on alot of meals even at £3-5 like Wetherspoons do.

OAP Lunches - Our local pub does 12-2pm lunches (for everyone) and the meals are around £5-7 but Oaps have pricing that is around £1-2 cheaper.. The nursing homes run busses on certain days to the pub (Every Friday etc) so this could be a good way of trying to guarentee more income on a weekly basis.

Karaoke - Local companies can do this.. I know you will have to do probably 3 or 4 times as much on the bar but it is possible you could do it on a certain day (friday) or sunday afternoon or even fortnightly or monthly. If you are trying to do events it should be done for 2 months or so.. not just scrapped on the first night.. if numbers arent up then look to replace with something else.

Food Delivery - Do something and do it well.. For example.. pizzas can be made and cooked cheaply.. A few pubs in town and locally do delivery and collection of pizza and burgers/chips if they focus on just a few items that dont take too long to make and can be made by just about anyone. Brings in some extra money and you can put flyers on the front of the pizza boxes with any events at the pub or to help bring new custom to the pub.

Point of Sale - POS seems to be a bit slacked in some pubs.. its either done very very well or its completely rubbish. Get A4 boards in the toilets. Put a few key boards that are nicely done in full colour and in keeping with the pub.. Make sure chalkboards are kept up to date and appealing. A Frame boards outside, but change them every month.. if its the same ones people just get used to it and ignore it. If its only £1 extra for a double... Get flyers all over your Optics and promote it.

Facebook/Myspace - Pubs need to get some sort of local following by way of Web no matter which it is.. Just make sure its kept up to date and not full of junk. Promote upcoming events and food offers. Even put a mailing list and do offers/competitions via it to get more names.

Big Outside? - Fun days? etc.

Kitchen / Dining Room - Find a local business who do lunches or sandwich delivery from home and offer for them to use the kitchen for a very small fee or nothing if they cook the meals for the pub (saves on staffing, helps them and gives you food!)

Daytime boost? - the amount of clubs now a days that get together and need somewhere to meet up every week. Slimming Clubs / Book Clubs / Mothers and Toddlers / XBox Geeks and the many more. Let them have the snug or have the function room and they will buy your food and drinks.

More sooon.. dinner time!

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  13. bagrat

bagrat UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    a lot of good points mentioned already.

don't be put off by Wetherspoons - i used to work for them and can offer an insight on how to beat them :)

nestorconsuting(dot)blogspot(dot)com/2009_07_01_archive.html

willing to come down next time i'm in the area in return for 1-2 pints ;)

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: bagrat Member since: Aug 15, 2009
  14. TerscomSteve

TerscomSteve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    have PM'd you
    I live in East Ham and while many of these suggestions are good ideas they will NOT work in this area

To give you an idea, when the local rag ran its eat&drink awards the JDW won best gastropub.....
    even Starbucks closed after 3 months due to lack of interest

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: TerscomSteve Member since: Sep 30, 2009
  15. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,031 1,967
    I know this sounds sexist, but 2 or 3 chatty nice looking girls behind the
    bar and enticements to get the cooler local students to use the pub
    should help.
    People are like sheep get 5 or 6 pretty girls and 5 or 6 cool people to start
    drinking there and others will follow.
    (obviously depends on the area, which I know nothing about)

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  16. Mpg

Mpg UKBF Ace Free Member

1,498 281
    Iv'e kinda jumped to the end of the thread after reading about the discount and buying power post.

8 years ago I was an assistant manager in a large chain.
    We paid 27p for a bottle of smirnoff ice and sold for £2.95. Now thats a good markup

The bar was running at 70%gp and the kitchen was aiming at 56%gp but more like 60%. We were turning over £26k per week.

We were busy during lunch time then dead in the afternoon picking up in the evening.

You may have to sell food at a loss in order to bring in the drinks trade

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: Mpg Member since: Aug 18, 2009
  17. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Free Member

2,826 642
    Pies on match days :)

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  18. Mpg

Mpg UKBF Ace Free Member

1,498 281

OOH pie and a pint

Nice

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 By: Mpg Member since: Aug 18, 2009
  19. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,438 281
    Hi MPG
    Are you still in the trade? These margins are now total fantasy! 8 years on and the trade bears no resemblance I am afraid! (unless u r a celebrity chef)...

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  20. Mpg

Mpg UKBF Ace Free Member

1,498 281
    No I'm not. 80 hr weeks and being away from familly didnt agree with me in the end

Although i still know some people in the trade.

Dont get me wrong this pub was part of a large brewery and a large chain. And it was a large pub
    Taking Smirnoff Ice as an example again we would go through 100 cases per week.

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: Mpg Member since: Aug 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.