Pub in East London Pub needs ideas to increase footfall

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ethical PR, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,060 1,543
    I have a friend running a pub in East London and was wondering whether anyone who has worked in the trade, or anyone else has any suggestions about how he can build up a base of regulars and attract new customers?

It's a large pub in a residential area. Many of regulars have moved out of the area.

It does have quite a few students from the local colleges and universities who have moved into the area.

Is near the football ground (West Ham) so busy on match days.

It is a tied pub for beers etc. They are already talking to the brewery manager about drinks prices, rent etc

I think they are doing quite a lot of the rights things with regular disco, poker, quiz nights etc, which are doing well.

They do have kitchen facilities and a function room but arent using them at the moment as they will cost a lot to bring them up to date.

It's a large pub with space at the front and back for seating. It is clean, the service is very friendly, but it does have a rather 70's feel about the place.

He really needs to get more people in, more regularly and for them to be spending more.

I know he would appreciate any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Many thanks
    Helen

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Burdett

Burdett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

107 5
    70s style disco pub? Where you can party like it's new years eve 1979 (or any other year). Imagine the 70s style fancy dress and music...

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: Burdett Member since: Feb 14, 2009
  3. MrsPWN

MrsPWN UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,653 292
    I really think he should look at renting out the kitchen. If he could go 50/50 on someone fixing it up and creating a dining room he would get the drinks trade and rent and the chef would get the food trade, and use of the kitchen for other projects when the pub was closed, they could also do bar snacks. Maybe the students would use a take away service, they could supply home cooked meals such as stews in micro pots....

I did this in Houston and one of our biggest sellers was a belly buster burger at the end of the night, drunks wanting to eat before going home, I also had a small business supplying things like scones and Victoria sponges to deli's.

Hope that gives him some ideas :)

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: MrsPWN Member since: Jul 25, 2009
  4. ethical PR

7,060 1,543
    Hey

Thanks for some great ideas already/

One thing I forgot to mention. They are near a Weatherspoons that does really cheap food and beer, which is one of the key reasons they haven't opened up the kitchen as they feel they can't compete on price.

Really like the idea of the 70's disco and take away for students though.

5. MrsPWN

MrsPWN UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,653 292
    He could get the students to get their parents to buy vouchers to exchange for healthy meals, pre pay for 10 and get 11th free ;)

I would do it lol

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: MrsPWN Member since: Jul 25, 2009
  6. davezzr

davezzr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

609 75
    would that be 70's nights at 70's prices with 70's food,spaggetti hoops anybody:)

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: davezzr Member since: Jan 24, 2007
  7. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,039 486
    Most of our clients that are doing well, are gastro pubs (some are in the East end), food is the key at the moment. Maybe not a good idea on match days but certainly during the week and other times.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  8. REALLYRICHLIMITED

REALLYRICHLIMITED UKBF Newcomer Free Member

39 0
    What pub is it? The Vic, Greengate, Black Lion, Lord Stanley, Central, Queens, Boleyn, Earl of Wakefield or another?

I know the Greengate have tried kareoke, strippers and club nights without much luck.

The Black Lion gets a lot of teachers in there from the East End and is quite busy during the week but has sold off a lot of their land to make some money.

The Village and the Vic try to attract locals at the weekend on non matchdays by having 80's nights.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: REALLYRICHLIMITED Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  9. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,434 281
    I think the key is the Uni. Weatherspoons needs to be forgotten. They cannot offer any music, football/hockey/cricket/darts/pool team support. My daughter was at Durham and in charge of her hockey team and asked her local pub to support the team with t shirts etc. In return she guaranteed the team would come back after each game to eat & drink. They also frequented for the quiz night etc... She has also mentioned that a local sandwich bar was selling rolls at £1.00 each. Apparantly they all bought three each for the day! All just a thought...

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  10. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,569 985
    PM sent to you.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  11. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    I was going to show off my knowledge of pubs in Upton Park but you beat me to it. I'm a local boy too.

Sorry, not much help to the OP!

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  12. ethical PR

7,060 1,543
    Thanks for the great replies.

Really like the idea of getting local student teams onside

:) And definitely some great local knowledge too

In terms of the gastro pub idea - would be interested in whether your clients operate that far out into the East End.

I can see gastro pubs working in the East End in 'up and coming' parts, but not sure about Newham:redface:

13. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,039 486
    Well I lived in the East End for years and if Newham hasn't got one, maybe it needs it?
    Where there is good food, customers will follow. Doesn't have to be anything too fancy, just good classic British cuisine and maybe some special weeks offering alternative cuisine.
    These pubs are all over, including Shoreditch, Hackney, Victoria Park etc.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  14. Gregan

Gregan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

136 8
    - Sponsoring a sports team is a good idea. The team will generally use your pub as a base then after games. Some pubs I know offer some food after games for the team(s) they sponsor.

- 90's theme night. Its the new 80's and defo my era.

- Students like live music. "Unplugged acoustic" nights where anyone can get up and play some tunes. Get a half decent PA in.

- Local bands, Cover bands and or Tribute band nights (you might need a seperate music licence if you don't already have it).

- Get a dodgy satelite dish that plays all West Ham games ;-)

Up the ammers!

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 By: Gregan Member since: Nov 21, 2007
  15. ethical PR

7,060 1,543
    thanks again everyone for the great ideas

A particular issue for the pub is lunch-time/early afternoon trade. So if anyone has ideas about how to help build up a regular trade during these times, that would be great.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  16. Adam T

Adam T UKBF Newcomer Free Member

107 13
    I actually go to the Earl prior to West Ham home game I attend and can see the difficult dilemma.

Add into the mix the huge cultural mix in the area it will always be a challenge to drum up regular clients, as many don't live or work in the area.

I would suggest that the best idea was the one to get local sports teams interested. I personally play in a football team on a Saturday afternoon and we always use the same pub after games.

The local football leagues are the Romford and District league and the Essex Business Houses League. Both can be found on google or through mitoo.

Additionally any west ham away games can be bounced off a moody sat should drum up interest. There are many famous east end pubs who already do this.

My only unique suggestion is to try and attract the betting community. When abroad many bars show horseracing (from Sky) with commentary during the day to allow the punters to combine their two loves; drinking and gambling.

If this pub is near a bookmaker (and most are) they could maybe attract the hard core punters for a pint or four once they have placed their wagers.

Some sort of food is also a must !!

Only my thoughts - good luck !

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: Adam T Member since: Aug 10, 2009
  17. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,434 281
    A particular issue for the pub is lunch-time/early afternoon trade. So if anyone has ideas about how to help build up a regular trade during these times, that would be great.[/quote]

OAP's come out early they are usually in the pub by 12. Do an OAP lunch to include a drink. Easy to eat food, pies, sausages with mash & vegetables/English thats what they like...

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  18. zachbb

zachbb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

31 1
    I think that contrary to popular belief, atrtacting students is a good idea. They are willing to easily spend £50/each per night on good fun.

Why not have different events per night. A pub that I used to go to did that all the time:
    Tuesday - student night (50% off beer and shots?)
    Sunday - quiz night

You could also have theme nights throughot the year (tarzan, 80s, 60s)

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 By: zachbb Member since: Aug 31, 2009
  19. dunusual

dunusual UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Surely your mate could try the post route? I'm guessing Wetherspoons etc. wouldn't spend their time doing it.

There's a website where pubs register useyourlocal? something like that and the pub pays about £60 to register but then people can find them on the site. And then when people have stuff to be delivered it's delivered in daytime to them c/o the pub and then they go and collect it at their leisure. I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would go and get drinks in return for getting their Special Deliveries etc. safely.

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 By: dunusual Member since: Sep 2, 2009
  20. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    If this is a Punch Taverns pub I would throw the keys back at them first thing in the morning

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.