Prs, Ppl, Wtf?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Davek0974, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050

Please don't take this the wrong way Kate, but who are you to demand other people do stuff? who is ANYONE to DEMAND other people do something?

You have made your point, no-one wishes to do anything yet somehow you feel aggrieved, sorry but I don't get it :|

Everyone on the forum has an equal right NOT to do anything, as others have to DO something, such is freedom of actions.

There are many more important things worth fighting over than the PRS & PRL. But that is just my thoughts

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  2. GlenCB

GlenCB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

71 10
    I think you are reading it wrong OWG.

reread and you'll see that she's saying that there were lots of suggestions from interested parties, which we're great. it would be helpful if a single person (presumably one to whom social networking is not completely alien, as it is to Kateas she explained) went and did one of the things suggested.

I don't see that as a demand. More of a suggestion for the next step if anything is actually to be done about it. :)

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: GlenCB Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  3. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    No demand there Taffy ,quite polite I thought.

"it would be helpful is ONE person could do ONE thing"

I take it you been out doing a bit of busking round Tiger Bay and want a few royalties.:)

Remember one mans meat is anothers poison.:|

Earl

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  4. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    The tone of that post is complaining and demanding. 'did anyone else do anything to help? 2 is clearlyu a complaint, and as such it indicates that other people SHOULD have done something.

Makes no odds to me, and this debate has been ongoing on UKBF for YEARS, it raises its head on a regular basis, but the reality is that no-one gives a fig until it is them that get affected by it.

There really is no point in getting all indignant about it, if you want a job doing, just do it yourself :)

5. KateCB

KateCB UKBF Ace Free Member

2,258 534
    OWG - I was asked to do something by other members - I was asked to put something together to post to Legal and anywhere else that may have given support, and I did. Over 20 people asked for something to be done, the same people who wanted someone to start the ball rolling - which I did.....

The phrase 'did anyone else do anything to help' was in response to another poster stating that I hadn't actually done anything.....except complain that no-one else had !

I have not demanded anything. I have from the outset ASKED for help and support, and have been berated for attempting to motivate people into action to help THEM....

Given all my defence of this whole 'cause', the personal attacks, the time spent defending the whole thing and myself, don't you think it is reasonable for me to ask the forum who started this whole thing to actualy get involved - to do something - anything - they don't even have to come up with 'what shoud we do next?' as thanks to my 'postings, other interested parties have put forward those ideas.

I, like you, and as I have said many times, will receive no benefit from this, however, as it has 'been going on for years' isn't it time somebody did something? This I think was my original gripe - we in the UK sit back and let things go on, moaning about things, but not actually DOING anything - I DID, and look where that got me....

I don't feel aggrieved in reality, human nature dictates that the one who steps forward gets shot first I guess!

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  6. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    Thats true of most peoples attitude to problems.

I am not affected by PRS but can see some fundamental flaws in the whole process in so far as one group of workers or artisans are given preferential treatment over the rest.

Allied to it being a very nice little earner for another bunch of social parasites.:)

26.5% of 630 million is what I call a bit over the top for administration costs ,never mind what they say they get thats what the charge artists.

Earl

7. GlenCB

71 10
    Back on page two is the reason why people dont take action. Its the above mindset.

8. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    Kate, I am just telling you how it reads. what I have seen is you making demand after demand in various posts. such as " don't watch, do something!!!" how else can that be read other than as a demand?

Don't get me wrong, I admire your spirit, but you can't just get all fired up and then use such demanding language, as some people simply get their backs up when that sort of aggressive syntax is used. It might not be how you INTENDED it to read, but as i said, that is certainly how I read it. For example, you started another thread in the legal section (now locked) and because you did not receive a reply in a timescale according to your rules, you posted "I have to say that I am disappointed" I am surprised that you don't see that as demanding? you are demanding a reply from other people and complaining that you hadn't received what you want.

As I say, I am not saying that was a concious intention to be demanding, but the subtext is a demand :(

9. KateCB

2,258 534
    OWG - I WAS disappointed - there were many people replied to that thread in legal requesting help - NOT demanding, but ASKING for help from fellow forum members/business owners, but no-one with anything constructive, and after perhaps 4 pages, not ONE person who was actually qualified in legal terms to offer any guidance or advice - so as a human, yes, I WAS disappointed! If expecting the decency of a response from the qualified people the help was asked of (hence posting in Legal Forum) is demanding, then I suppose I am guilty :(

Don't Watch - DO something - it isn't a demand - its a call to action, a rally, an attempt at motivating bank holiday forum visitors with nothing better to do (like me!) -

Glen......Remember the Borg.....wasn't that their mindset? Resistance is futile, you will comply.....:)

10. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,265 4,296
    Only an SEO could say that!!!

:p:p

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  11. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,265 4,296
    Leave 7of9 outta this, shes hot!!

;)

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  12. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    Oi cut me some slack mun, I is Welsh innit :)

13. GlenCB

71 10
    7of9 :eek:

Resistance is futile I believe was the trademark of the Vogons in the hitchikers guide to the galaxy (the original if you please!)

on topic, What is going to come next? If I want to listen to the radio in my car while I have passengers I have to pay a tax? what about taxis? do they have to have a PRS/PPL licence per car?

14. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    Taxis were discussed previously and apparently yes.

15. GlenCB

71 10
    They do? ouch!

No wonder they never have the radio on.

I think a fairer way of taxing businesses would be to make them pay a tax if they played copyrighted material to their customers.

Playing copyrighted material to customers is in essence using said material for profit (creating a pleasant atmosphere so people are more likely to put their hands in their pockets). So I'm fine with that.

But if its in your warehouse for your employees Its pretty harsh, so long as the trade counter or whatever does not have a speaker then you are not rebroadcasting to the public.

16. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    Look if the stupid muscians are to crap or to dumb to make money from selling there product.

Thats there problem,no reason to demand a meal ticket for life of the general public for using a product they have already purchased.

I mean the plumber who fits your loo don't charge everytime you pull the chain.

And don't give me all that crap about interlectual property.

Nothing bleeding interlectual about the noise that grinds out of radio 2.:eek:

Earl

17. KateCB

2,258 534
    Problem is Glen, that they are sending backdated bills to sole traders who listen to the radio whilst working away.....alone. :)

18. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    In that case the claims are worthless, as we have the right to listen to music while at work.

19. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    Not if a member of the public or your favourite sheep walks by and hears your radio.:|

Earl

20. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,731 2,674
    The only problem is, you can't come forward and ask for legal help, and then when someone says "okay, I'll help" (hypothetically), you step back and look side to side for someone else to take the lead. That sounds like what you're doing, and it doesn't really work.

If you had no intention of really moving this forward beyond taking that initial step, then perhaps you should have left it for someone else to do. I'm not berating you for taking that step as I admire your willingness to do it, but as soon as you come forward like that, you've basically volunteered to take the lead. People then find it weird when you step back and look for someone else to take charge.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    Posted: Aug 31, 2011 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.