Product tags?

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Davek0974, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,597 308
    Can someone explain product tags please?

I use woo commerce and each product has a tags section, I use these to group items for page display and "related items" display on each product page.

Do they have a deeper use like SEO etc??

I see some sites where products have multiple tags almost like the old style pages where designers "keyword stuffed" the page in a hope to get SEO etc - is this valid still or pointless, maybe even damaging?

Thanks

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    Tags can be a good way of organising your content. The problem occurs when these tags get indexed as pages in their own right and you then end up with duplicate content. It can get a bit messy.

Tags are great if you have a lot of content and control which tags can and cannot be indexed though.

Here is an example:

I have 100 items of solid wood furniture. Some is oak, some teak, some pine and so on...

I only have a single category 'solid-wood' and I don't want to split that up. I can use tags to group all my oak and pine, etc into sub-groups of their own without affecting the basic category structure.

In this instance I would noindex all my pine, teak, oak, etc because this content on its own doesn't really merit a webpage as such.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2017
    Posted: Nov 5, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  3. mymindmyright

mymindmyright UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Product tags are so important. Besides tracking and organizing products, product tags can also help businesses. Colorful, well-designed product hang tags can grab attention, help sell additional products, promote the product and even help the owner collect demographic information. While business cards can be lost or discarded, product tags stay on longer because they are attached until a person begins to use the product. They also increase the product's professionalism and remind customers where it is from so they remember where to repurchase the item in the future.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 By: mymindmyright Member since: Dec 9, 2017
  4. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,597 308
    LOL, classic case of not not reading the thread i think ;)

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. BigPhill

BigPhill UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 16
    In "basic terms" Woocommerce uses Product Tags to relate products to each other.

For example...... let's say you have a Newcastle T-Shirt, if you use the product tag "Newcastle" on both items, it will relate the product Newcastle T-Shirt to Newcastle Hoodie and so on.

This can be good if you want to use multiple tags such as "Geordie" , "Toon" , "Newcastle-upon-Tyne" etc

However it's important to note that product tags don't have a hierarchy or subtags.

Equally tags can also be used for search functions as well as other elements within individual plugins.

I generally create buying guides and use tags to pull together associated products.

For example, let's say you have a category or page called "Newcastle Christmas Gifts"..... by using product tags you simply state which products you want to appear.

SEO wise.... i've experimented both ways displaying and hiding product tags on product pages and not really noticed much difference between websites.

One of my current top performing woo commerce sites has product tags hidden using bespoke coding and its ranking well.

Hopefully some of this information is helpful to somebody

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 By: BigPhill Member since: Oct 13, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.