Product Photography

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by Sade, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sade

Sade UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    I am in the process of starting an online shop. I want to get the photography right by hiring a professional. However, due to the nature of my business (I will be selling one off items), I think the current prices are pretty steep. As an example, I might have only one dress in one size and spending about £8 to get it photographed will probably kill off my business before it even starts.

What ways can I get around this? So far, I have thought of engaging a photographer and paying a monthly fee to take my photographs with an agreed minimum and maximum no of items per month. Not sure if that will work or if there is a better solution? Any advice on this please? Items will be a mixed lot - clothes, ornaments etc. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: Sade Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Alicatt

Alicatt Contributor

324 68
    Hi Sade,

You're right not to skimp on photographs, but finding the right solution when you're selling one off items is a challenge.

I would start by ringing round a load of local photographers, put the challenge to them and see what options they come up with.

The other alternative is to create an in-house studio so you photograph the items yourself. But do it properly. Get a professional in to set up your studio, buy the right equipment and train you or your staff on how to get professional results. Learn how to use photo editing software too. Photographers are increasingly offering this type of service, so ask around your local contacts.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: Alicatt Member since: Feb 1, 2008
  3. benjihubbs

benjihubbs Contributor

160 22
    Could you possibly get in contact with a local college for students on photography courses? It would allow them to build up a portfolio of images and you will probably get it a bit cheaper too!

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: benjihubbs Member since: Dec 18, 2010
  4. Multi-store

Multi-store Contributor

529 96
    hi sadie,

my employer provides professional photography as much better rates than that, but ultimatly it depends how many items you have.

if you would like to discuss with me you can drop me an email

[email protected]

or visit our website (as above but with the james bit!)

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: Multi-store Member since: Sep 19, 2011
  5. TotallySport

TotallySport Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,312 990
    The only advice I can give, is when your starting out the more you do yourself the more your likely to return a profit, things like this come with scale unless you have a large start up budget.

When you have done it for a while you will stop buying mixed lots because they are the massive pain, but great for starting up.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  6. Mike tells it like it is

Mike tells it like it is Contributor

1,099 125

Spend £100 on a digital camera.

By a light tent and 3 lights

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: Mike tells it like it is Member since: Sep 27, 2011
  7. deniser

deniser Contributor

8,078 1,702
    A well known vintage shop does its own photography but they model the clothes. So if you can get someone to wear them, you can get away with amateur snapshots.

Adults clothing because of its size is not going to fit in a lightbox. Even a mannequin is not going to look great. Experiment with some friendly humans in a good setting.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  8. atmosbob

atmosbob Contributor

4,860 1,176
    And spend 3 years learning how to use it ;-)

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  9. AnonymMoose

AnonymMoose UKBF Newcomer

59 6

I'm not sure if you could fit few tall girls wearing dresses into cheap light tent bought on ebay. ;)

Works for small stuff though, I've been taking photos of my products with no more than kitchen table, some white paper, flashgun bounced off the ceiling and few bits of aluminum foil placed in strategic locations. :)

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: AnonymMoose Member since: Jun 6, 2011
  10. Mike tells it like it is

Mike tells it like it is Contributor

1,099 125
    Nah its easy-put a light each side as close as possible to the sides take picture from above

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: Mike tells it like it is Member since: Sep 27, 2011
  11. owas

owas Contributor

1,424 256
    I absolutely would find someone who wants build there portfolio up. I did exactly this, and now do all the product photography for an on-line company. It was a great way to learn. Possibly try the colleges, but usually these are people that are aiming to make a career out of it and may want paying.
    Check out local photography clubs as these usually do it as a hobby, and also find out if theres any competition in the local papers who and who entered etc, as well as ask around.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: owas Member since: Jan 3, 2010
  12. KF_Researcher

KF_Researcher UKBF Newcomer

17 0
    It strikes me that you could probably achieve 80 to 90% of the effect of a professional just by doing it yourself?

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: KF_Researcher Member since: Oct 17, 2011
  13. Sade

Sade UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    ....for the responses so far. I would look into getting them done myself - my husband has one of these fancy cameras. Depending on the quality I get, I might decide later to find a photographer locally.

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: Sade Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  14. maris28

maris28 UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    Yes, it should be better if you will do it yourself, if you are not satisfied with the outcome then, you'll have to get a photographer.

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: maris28 Member since: Oct 13, 2011
  15. ImageStreet

ImageStreet UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    Hi Sade
    If I were you I would get one fancy professional looking picture on your main page and do the others yourself. You could even consider (and this is a bit of a plug) using some sort of cinemagraph or 360 interactive rotation to capture the attention of your audience.

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 By: ImageStreet Member since: Jan 30, 2011
  16. kate1

kate1 Contributor

1,653 244
    Where are you based Sade, might be able to help you

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 By: kate1 Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  17. mark dee

mark dee UKBF Newcomer

29 4
    Unless its a continuous stocked line it just isnt worth spending money on a professional photographer unless your item has a high price point and margin that can stand it.

The light tents and lights work fine with any decent dig-camera.

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 By: mark dee Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  18. Paddymcc

Paddymcc UKBF Newcomer

41 1
    We done a similair thing to your self only we photograph our own laptops and other stock.

As your taking pics of dresses you will need quite a large setup with white background and some way to hang the dress.

We use a camera which cost just £150 which allows us to adjust colour settings, aperature time etc. The best thing would be to get a large white sheet and a camera and have a play about. It will take sometime to get the hang of it!

Dont forget photoshop for touching up the pics.

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 By: Paddymcc Member since: Aug 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.