Problems you have had with hosting companies

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Carol1992, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol1992

Carol1992 UKBF Newcomer

10 0
    Hello this is more of a discussion and I would be interested in what others favourite web hosting companies are.

So for me I have switched multiple times with different websites i've had mainly for not thinking the website speed was good enough, or the cpanel was too complex compared to a previous cpanel or customer support wasn't quite there.

Are you a serial web hosting switcher? How important do you class this and which ones have people got a long with the most?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: Carol1992 Member since: Jul 11, 2017
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor

1,548 369
    From a host's perspective, the principal reasons we hear why people are wanting to leave their current host are:

No phone support
    Lengthy delay in replying to tickets
    Repeated downtime
    Overcrowded servers leading to slow performance
    Downtime with no reason given (most people understand that even the best infrastructure can occasionaly have a small wobble and they are tolerant so long as an explanation is given and steps listed to ensure it doesn't happen again
    Outsourced support to call centres who can barely speak English
    Disinterested support or getting passsed from person to person / never speaking to the same person twice
    Continual price increases

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Legend

2,550 663
    As it goes, I'm currently moving mine...my current host are beyond woeful. I had a 7 day outage 2 years ago (I should have moved then, but figured the outage would have scared them into making sure they had everything in place wrt recovery)...alas, a four day outage 3 weeks ago. No phone support, 1st line support (via live chat) amounts to them saying "can you raise a ticket". When I raise a ticket, there are scant updates.

For what it's worth I'm presently moving to WHUK....got to say, I'm really impressed in these early stages (though only time will tell) ...no affiliation whatsoever (but perhaps I'm blinded into new host lurve due to my present host being professional suck artists)

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  4. HostOX

HostOX Full Member

95 9
    Hugely agree with this, the main three problems I see is slow support, regular downtime & slow site loading times.

Most of the problems are with oversold underpriced services - Less staff and more people on servers to increase profits, this is why I would always recommend you stay away from budget hosts even the $100 a year ones.

>> Outsourced support to call centres who can barely speak English

This is the most common and the worst, we would never be able to work with a datacenter who had outsourced staff over seas, wow it does my head in!

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: HostOX Member since: Aug 26, 2017
  5. tukhnet

tukhnet UKBF Newcomer

47 3
    The biggest reason for moving from one web hosting to another is always the downtime. That is something which people can't forgive, especially when it happens regularly and for a long periods.

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: tukhnet Member since: Dec 8, 2016
  6. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Enthusiast

367 75
    I have used different hosting providers over the years. The most important thing for me is that the uptime is intact. If the hosting provider has problems with the uptime, it will cause an outage for my website and I will lose potential customers.

Let's say that your website is down for 1 week. Every week you have 1000 visitors. You have a conversion rate of 10%. If a typical customer buys products and services for 50£, then you have lost £5000 that week.

So downtime means losses.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  7. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    And downtime is usually the result of using cheap "stack 'em high" shared server services.

Treat hosting as a business expense, pay more and get a decent provider and downtime is no longer an issue.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    Most webhosts are competing on price and it is inevitable the service will always fall down to the lowest common denominator.

However, paying a premium for reliable hosting isn't always feasible for a fledgling business. And, paying a premium doesn't guarantee you won't ever have problems.

Accepting that sooner or later you will have a problem and having some kind of back-up plan is more important than finding the best host.

Do you have all your site files safely stored away; do you have control of your domain name and do you know how to change the name servers?

Answer yes to all of the above and then ask for hosting recommendations.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  9. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    The decent ones aren't. The good hosting companies charge more because they provide a better service.

10. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Big Shot

1,403 169
    The simple formula is to make a list of your expectation, as your requirement might be different from someone else. Accordingly shortlist few provider you find test them via , email, chat or call.
    If your requirements and expectation match that company it would be perfect for you.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  11. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Enthusiast

367 75
    Good advice there :) Do you have any suggestions of good hosting providers?

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  12. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    Anyone that runs their infrastructure on Google Cloud or Amazon Web services. $500billion technology providers don't have down time.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  13. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
  14. NuBlue

NuBlue UKBF Legend

1,161 235
    Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: NuBlue Member since: Oct 19, 2005
  15. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    OK you win.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  16. jamie07051975

jamie07051975 UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    Over the years, I've found that in reality hosting is down to the support you get when things go wrong because its when not if. I have had issues with every single host but it what they've done to get my sites back up and running as quick as possible and then putting in measures to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I've been hosting for many years and paid big money with some of the well known hosts and actually lost full servers (while they were doing an upgrade!), I've been with much less expensive hosts and apart from some issues along the way they've been fine.

For me its about finding a host with an easy get out just in case things do happen - register domains with a separate provider so you haven't got everything in one basket. Many hosts these days will actually migrate your site from a third party host for free.

I've always been keen on getting something less expensive (not cheaper) initially and upgrade when necessary - VPS are ideal for this as they can be upgraded almost instantly.

I can recommend some hosts if needed but won't in case I'm not allowed.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: jamie07051975 Member since: Aug 31, 2017
  17. tony84

tony84 UKBF Legend

6,020 1,142
    My favourite was a host who went down on a Saturday, they managed to get my site back up but could do nothing about the emails until Monday.
    When asked what I do about the emails from clients/potential clients I have not received their response was to "get them to resend the email"...not being psychic, I have no idea who emailed me.

When I wrote a massive big review on how much of a joke they were, they complained to the review site and denied it happened until I shown proof of phone calls and webchats I had with the company.

I wont slag them off now as it was a few years ago, hopefully they have their act together but they were not cheap, they were average priced and were in the city I am from (supporting local).

Now I have a cheaper host and the support whilst being dealt with in india or somewhere, it is a million times better and faster.

Cheap/good/fast - General rule of thumb is you can have any 2. Good and fast wont be cheap for example.

eukhost is my current host. I have been with them for maybe 2-3 years. The odd issues crop up, but they always manage to resolve it quickly enough.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  18. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    A good reason to have your email and DNS separate from your hosting. GSuite is another £3 a month but gives you the security of having access to email if all else fails. Some registrars will also give you a free email account.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  19. HostOX

HostOX Full Member

95 9
    Always good to have off site email, we have everything split this way for our own setup if it ever does happen we can still have contact with clients.

Odd that you could not get emails after one day downtime, emails usually retry for 48 hours before a complete fail.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 By: HostOX Member since: Aug 26, 2017
  20. Carol1992

Carol1992 UKBF Newcomer

10 0
    Wow thanks for sharing all your experiences it's really interesting to see peoples thoughts on the matter. Yeah I just had some downtime because my hosting company moved my site onto another server and it took a couple of days for it to register the DNS properly. Yeah I have separate email too. Someone told me to do that so if my site goes down someone can let me know otherwise I may not realise haha.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 By: Carol1992 Member since: Jul 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.