Problems with power companies bills, I want to go back to Qly bills for actual elec used !

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

576 59
    I`d like to go back to a quarterly bill for actual electricity / gas used !

Am I the only person, domestic as well as business, who has loads of problem with power companies bills ? Over the last 10 or so years I have wasted many many HOURs and MUCH stress sorting out incorrect bills, and when I recently changed suppliers it got even worse. I don`t even understand the soddin` bills they send out, there`s "invoice total" and "Current balance" and being in credit and debit etc. It`s also difficult, when doing ones books, to check up amounts taken out of ones bank account against what the actual bills are because the monthly DD is supposed to be an average (which is usually wrong anyway) as opposed to the bill amount.

I HATE IT !

I asked Scottish Power if I could go back to quarterly bills for actual power used but they said it`d be 20% more expensive ! How can they justify such a huge difference ? Particularly as they have to pay people to sort out all the problems their supposedly superior billing method causes….

Does anyone know a power company that offers “the old way” of billing without a huge rip off price differential ?

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Justin Smith

576 59
    I have to say I`m surprised this thread hasn`t generated angst amongst others on here. I have consistently had trouble with electricity / gas suppliers for years. I thought Scottish Power were bad (more than once they`ve made major errors which make my books look like a dog`s breakfast) but British Gas have been just as bad since I swapped to them.
    In fact the latest is I put through what appeared to be the invoice total for a SP invoice in March. I`ve subsequently found out that the amount was incorrect, but in July, that`s the next soddin` financial year......

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,200 299
    I have deliberately held my tongue, because I don't need the grief, and haven't got time for the ranting, and this isn't the right forum for that sort of thing.

Suffice it to say : I feel your pain, brother.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Justin Smith

576 59
    One part is, does anyone know of an electricity supplier, even if slightly (not 20% more) expensive who charges for actual electricity used one month or one quarter in arrears ? I`m prepared to pay up to 5% more to avoid all this hassle.....

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  5. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,200 299
    Web search "utility broker".

Had expected someone to pop up - thought there were several here.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  6. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,455 266
    Good luck... we are billed monthly, with a fan dangled smart meter.

We went about 9 months without receiving a bill, yet they wanted up increase the fixed DD almost double.

Then when I question they havent billed us, we received an enigma of bills, credits, statements, that somehow magically equal the fixed DD we were paying...

They manage to get the smart meter working for a few months, we are on a flexible DD all good...

except for no reason they're back to estimating readings.

Think I may start doing my own estimations on how much an when to pay them.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  7. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

2,101 483
    There are some suppliers that offer quarterly billing, depending on your meter type and spend. They charge more because of the increased risk, but you should be able to find something competitive. PM your details if you like and I'll let you know whats available.

Smart Meters - several things go wrong, they have sim cards inside so need a reasonable mobile signal, which unsurprisingly many meter cupboards don't have.

There are also compatibility issues as the standards for smart meters are changing and out of date when they're launched.

And of course, the standing charge goes up to cover the increased costs of meter.

Ofgem expect customers to save money by understanding their energy usage and costs. I haven't spoken to any SMEs that would close early or turn of the lights to reduce their bills by a few %.

The same applies to smart meters at home.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  8. Justin Smith

576 59
    Sounds about right.....

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.