Problem with a irrelevant spammy link...

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by JPMiddleton, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Regular Free Member

276 35
    I've recently discovered a couple of completely irrelevant and spammy links directly to out homepage. The link is completely unrelated to the anchor text, blog post and the blog site in general which it is on.

It's a wrestling site and the whole blog post appears spammy and hard to read with a link to our site which sells poker cards randomly placed within the anchor text "for".

I can only assume this is an attempt by a competitor to add spammy links to our site to decrease our rankings- I can't think of any other reason this would happen? But perhaps someone could enlighten me if I'm missing something?

Posted: May 25, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,867 10,054
    Really wouldn't worry about it. I've got links from a transgender site in Singapore and some from a gambling site. These things happens.

If you had hundreds of them then I would do something about but not for just one or two.

Posted: May 25, 2014 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Regular Free Member

276 35
    I'm not particularly worried, I'm more looking for an insight into why these may appear and occur - any ideas?

Posted: May 25, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Mystro

Mystro UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,097 377
    Things happen, you cant always justify why.. just start a disavow list if they concern you too much,

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: Mystro Member since: Aug 20, 2009
  5. Barbara McKinney

Barbara McKinney UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 5
    Links from questionable sources need to be addressed accordingly. An audit of the link profile to your websites should ideally be performed at least once a month but twice would be even better.

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: Barbara McKinney Member since: Apr 22, 2014
  6. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,039 148
    It is one of your competitors and they hire optimizers to de-grade your website's rankings through spamming but I think Google is familiar with this kind of method and the best thing to do is to remove those bad links.

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  7. DexSmart

DexSmart UKBF Regular Full Member

231 27
    Check them periodical make a database and start disavow them. People just do this type of "jugglery" to ruin other ranks.

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: DexSmart Member since: Jan 10, 2011
  8. leadprop

leadprop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

58 11
    Sometimes spammy backlinks are negative seo but more often than not In that type of scenario they are produced by scrapers I.e. sites that scrape content and links then re-publish that content. Just get a directory link in DMOZ then check your new backlinks a month after and you will find lots of additional links forum junk directories that use scrapers to find new content.

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: leadprop Member since: May 10, 2014
  9. fisicx

33,867 10,054
    No, no and no.
    Everything in this post is wrong.

Posted: May 26, 2014 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Barbara McKinney

Barbara McKinney UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 5
    really??? so what's the best advice can you give aside from IGNORING it?

Posted: May 27, 2014 By: Barbara McKinney Member since: Apr 22, 2014
  11. fisicx

33,867 10,054
    Yes.
    The odd strange link isn't worth worrying about, everybody ends up with them from time to time. Auditing link profiles acheive little (unless you have been doing lots of dogy link building) as most requests will be ignored by the webmasters and a disavow request may result in google looking more carefully than your want them to. As to doing it twice a month - that's just daft. I did an audit on a site a while back and it took over a month to do.

If you feel it is worth your while doing regular audits then carry on but for most people it something you might do once in a blue moon - there is just too much effort required for little return.

Posted: May 27, 2014 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. ZeroDouble

ZeroDouble UKBF Regular Free Member

294 96
    If I had to bet, I'd say that the link to your site is there because;

1. Someone has linked to your site from an article that they've posted (that also links to their site) in order to break up their link building footprint.

2. They have linked to you from the article (that also links to their site) because your site is seen as an 'authority' and they want to benefit from co-citation.

Or both.

As above, I wouldn't worry about it though, unless you happen to start getting thousands of them.

Posted: May 27, 2014 By: ZeroDouble Member since: Oct 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.