Price or quality?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by MichaelG, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayne

Jayne UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,920 8

So that means, you are a techies, techy :D Got you now!

Jayne

Posted: Nov 3, 2005 By: Jayne Member since: Aug 6, 2005
  2. MichaelG

MichaelG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

464 16
    Please can we all get back to the original topic!

Posted: Nov 4, 2005 By: MichaelG Member since: Sep 1, 2005
  3. babybiz

babybiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

67 0
    Back on the original topic, what about the price match technique to combine price and quality? Does having that on a site that sells by quality add extra security to get customers buying or does it come across as tacky?

I was having this conversation with DH, I like to shop around but will always buy from the best shop at the lowest price if that makes sense. i.e I'll pay a few pennies more for a good looking site but not a few pounds more. I'm always wondering if there is a better shop one click away and where I see these and the price is close I normally say bugger the pennies and just buy (providing the site is nice).

DH is the opposite he'll buy from wherever as long as it looks good. Actually he'll buy from wherever as long has he doesn't have to do any more shopping but you get what I mean. He finds the more you have to decide the more annoying it is so remove temptation and simply sell on quality.

Any thoughts? Also curious as the real value of this price match offer, I've often wondered if it just serves to tempt people away from your site on a hurry or whether it gives them enough assurance you cant be beaten not to be tempted away searching?

Tashxx

Posted: Nov 4, 2005 By: babybiz Member since: Oct 4, 2005
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,076 279
    I must say, from a personal perspective I do not like price matching. I have always prefered to "reward" those with a lower price with my business rather than certain large corporations which claim to be the lowest prices and have a price match promise.

When I bought a new vac I was had to go to a large high street electrical store due to time constraints, even though they claim to have the lowest prices I managed to get them to price match another company and got £50 off the price. Directly behind me in the queue was another couple buying the same vac but were still charged the full price and given a receipt saying that they are the lowest price. Needless to say, a couple of weeks later, they are still claiming to be the cheapest but still charging £50 more than other companies.

The only company which I have seen that does seem to get a lot of business from their price match offer is John Lewis on their electrical department but this is probably because of the added value of the fact they include a free 5 year extended warrenty on the items even when price matching.

Posted: Nov 4, 2005 By: Astaroth Member since: Aug 24, 2005
  5. JK_du_Toit

JK_du_Toit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

46 0
    Price or Quality...?

Depends on where you go for business. You sell services to large companies, mid-level management look at pricing. Top-level management look at quality. Where do you niche? Go through to top-management if you are selling something to companies.

For smaller purchases (public daily uses), like hairdryers etc, a good combination is always good, but the majority of the market want quality for a good price. There are going to be a few exceptions who will buy the cheapest on the market, but, firstly, do you want to be known as the cheapest? And secondly, do you WANT a market who always buys for the cheapest prices?
    There is a reason why they are buying the cheapest...

Then again, depends on your location...

Location Location Location....

Waitrose or Tescos?

Find your Niche and then decide. I am definately a Waitrose...

It is going to be interesting to see where this forum leads...

Posted: Nov 4, 2005 By: JK_du_Toit Member since: Nov 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.