PPC concerns

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Mleeuk0506, May 8, 2019.

1. Mleeuk0506

Mleeuk0506 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    I have an ecommerce business that started trading a few months ago. I pay an SEO company for SEO marketing and PPC. I got quite a few sales until a couple of rival SEO companies contacted me asking whether I was happy with my SEO company, I said that I would give them another couple of months and then possibly change. Since then I have not had any sales or contacts is it possible they are using up my PPC budget or am I being paranoid? Is there any way I can check this?

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Mleeuk0506 Member since: May 8, 2019
  2. Andy Harris

Andy Harris UKBF Contributor Full Member

81 12
    Whether you use Google Analytics or something more detailed (see https://www.a1webstats.com/what-it-...-beyond-click-return-investment-basic-method/), you should have an independent view of which clicks are coming into your website, and from what sources.

Always be tracking what happens to any form of marketing that brings traffic to the website.

I may have misunderstood your sentence 'I said that I would give them another couple of months and then possibly change.' but took it to mean one of:

1. You told the rival companies that you may change in a couple of months, or:
    2. You told you existing company that you may change in a couple of months.

If it was the latter, then it's feasible they just 'took the foot off the gas' and didn't promote your business (if they thought they'd lose the business in a couple of months).

If it was the former, then no, I can't see how the rival companies would negatively impact on you.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Andy Harris Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  3. xoxoseo

xoxoseo UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 1
    agreed with Andy Harris, if you outsource any online campaign you should know how you can control them

Posted: May 12, 2019 By: xoxoseo Member since: Apr 2, 2018
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,101 8,834
    What are you paying this SEO company to do? Is it working?

Same with PPC, what are they doing, how do you know it’s effective? Do you have a login to the control panel? What is your daily budget? Why aren’t you doing it yourself?

Posted: May 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. makeusawebsite

makeusawebsite UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,089 248
    In terms of PPC, you should have complete control of your PPC budget. When it comes to PPC with an agency, there are two costs involved;

1. The fee you pay the agency to manage the campaign
    2. The fee you pay Google when users click on your adds.

Item 1, you pay to the agency. Item 2, you should be paying DIRECTLY to Google (not to the agency). There are some very good reasons for this;

The campaign should be run from YOUR Google Ads account, with them setup as a manager. Unusually a decent size agency will have access to a special Google tool called the MMC (My Client Centre), which is used to manage multiple Google Ad accounts in a single place. The reason everything needs to be contained in your account is simple....DATA. Every single penny you spend on Google Ads is accumulating data. It might be data about which keywords work, which landing pages convert the highest.....which time of day converts best etc etc. If you move to a new agency, you need to retain that data, as it will be key to the success of any campaign.

If you didn't setup your own Google Ads campaign, and you are paying an Agency the full PPC fee....the likelihood is that you will lose the data if you leave that agency. That isn't fair to you as the client, and in my opinion there isn't really any excuse for an agency to run a campaign in this way.

The second key point is budget. By owning the Google Ads campaign you have full transparent access to where funds are being spent, so that you are certain your budget is being spent properly.

I can't comment on your campaign specifically, but going forward I would suggest your ensure the Ad account is in your name and under your control, with your PPC agency having delegated access to it.

Best of luck.

Posted: May 15, 2019 By: makeusawebsite Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  6. Markmiller1

Markmiller1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    You can ask them about the details, what they are up to, how much they had spent, what results they have got so far, you're paying them for their services, you have the right to ask each & every detail about their work & moreover, you should have kept your PPC budget with yourself rather than passing over the whole authority to them.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:50 AM By: Markmiller1 Member since: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,810 280
    Were you able to check your account? What did you find out?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 11:38 AM By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011