postcode problem when delivering in a wide area

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by marcylamontb, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcylamontb

marcylamontb UKBF Newcomer

17 2
    Hi

I need to get round the following problem:

We want to deliver food to our city centre, LS1, via online orders. However, some streets have different postcodes e.g. LS10. If we only want to deliver to certain streets within LS10 - it's a large area, is there a system i can use to filter some streets out?

The last thing I want to do is get it wrong and end up having to deliver miles out of town as the order has gone through. We need a message on screen alerting the buyer that we do not deliver to their area.

Any suggestions would be great. :)

Marcy

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Posted: Sep 10, 2008 By: marcylamontb Member since: Aug 3, 2008
  2. ozbon

ozbon Contributor

748 165
    Easiest way, I guess, would be to have a database of which roads in LS10 you do cover. Then when the order's taken, it checks the delivery address against that road table, and if the road isn't in there, it doesn't process the order and instead flags up a message.

It's a pain to set up initially, but then you shouldn't need to do much to it.

I would suggest that you store all the road names in lowercase, and convert the incoming delivery address to lowercase too, so you don't hit issues between (for example) Leeds Road, leeds road, or Leeds road. Probably best to include alternatives as well (you're not using the table as the delivery information, so you can have as many alternatives as you want) but for example leeds road and leeds rd.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 By: ozbon Member since: Apr 24, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. simonr

simonr Contributor

838 71
    Just add a letter to the PCA you're using to get the first letter of the 'inbound' part of the postcode - the number after the space. That gives you a much greater level of spacial resolution.

Caution - the Post Office are very good at what they do here. If they've got XX10 covering the are they have and XX1 covering the area they have it's for a good reason. Consider very carefully why you want to disagree with the world authority on this (And yes, I'm serious about this.)

I'm not saying the Post Office is perfect - God knows they're not - but I spent over 20 years as a researcher in a department of Geography researching things using this kind of data and I was continually impressed how close to optimum the PO had got things. Obviously they have constraints and compromises you don't have to make but at least stop and think for as long as it takes to drink a cup of tea.... ;)

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 By: simonr Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  4. Krash

Krash UKBF Contributor

101 14
    Posted: Apr 4, 2012 By: Krash Member since: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Uwe (Invoiceberry)

Uwe (Invoiceberry) Contributor

157 22
    It might also be interesting to use websites such as HungryHouse or Just-Eat. I guess they should provide you with such post code limitations!?

Best,
    Uwe

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 By: Uwe (Invoiceberry) Member since: Mar 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.